On a more serious note: please don't gank brand new players coming out of the station

it just dawned on me an aspect of the original post that has so far been ignored.

you, the OP and I presume a longer term player than the friend you have mentioned, did not prepare or provide any level of insight to your friend to save them from such a noob reality? did you offer no tips and tricks? no training on how to survive in open while still having a good time? did you not fly wing with your friend to protect them on their maiden voyage? you just left them alone to figure it out on their own and come to the forums to complain about their experience?

makes me question who the real ganker is in the his scenario.
Rumour has it: That the old guy just gave the new guy, a few slaps and told them, 'to just man up; and then sent them out of the mail-slot, with a size 10 up the rear.

Last edited:
I have been victim to the idiots, I did not have a clue what I was doing wrong. Just kept getting killed.
So I decided the game was absurd and not fun to play.
I have got back into the seat two years latter, now only in solo.
I have no time for idiots, I want nothing to do with them.
Why reward bullies, Not enough consequences for bad behaviour !
Meaning the game has a huge flaw, if It promotes Bulling !
The game could be very good indeed if the tide turned away from allowing idiots to get away with such blatant Thuggery. They need to be dispatched to an other Galaxy Far Far away.

@OP

Luckily the smaller, cheaper ships have very low cost rebuys.
Always practice Open-safe game play! Equip chaff, a heatsink, some decent shields, hull+module reinforcement, thrusters and FSD - with these you have a much better chance of surviving the dangerous galaxy :) if you or your friend don't wish to engage, use the navigation panel to plot a hyperspace jump to another star, engage that FSD and fly past your attacker as much as you can! No straight lines, don't make it easy for them.

Now if you don't want those kind of unpredictable thrills it's perfectly fine to play in Solo/Private, just know that there are easy, affordable and fun gameplay methods to deal with stuff like this. You and your friend don't have to feel "locked" away from Open, and there's all kinds of things you'll miss if you end up that way. Gankers have fun in this video game by pretending to be villains, but there's all kinds of people just like any MMO with PvP enabled.

It's your choice what you want to opt into. Number one rule is to enjoy your time as you see fit - just try not to be tempted into joining the bitter folks in their witch hunts in certain parts of the community ;P

(EDIT: There's also a ton of useful media on youtube and the like with useful tips like what to do if you can't win an interdiction mini-game, and how to escape highly engineered murder-boats. Check em out if you want!)

Last edited:
I decided to go reverse pirating tonight. Simple game. Grab my trusty sidewinder, hop over to Panem and get four tons of onionhead, then head to a system that gets a decent amount of traffic.

Interdicted a guy. He submitted. Sent him my message. "Hey kid, wanna try some onionhead? First one's free." He flew off.
Repeat three more times. Same result every time. A couple of them didn't even slow down when I stopped to type. No panic, only the first one even bothered trying to fight the tunnel game instead of submitting immediately. If I was actually hostile (or, indeed, armed) there's no way I could have taken any of them out in that sort of timeframe.

This does make me wonder how actual piracy is supposed to work when talking just gets you low-waked on, but hey.

I decided to go reverse pirating tonight. Simple game. Grab my trusty sidewinder, hop over to Panem and get four tons of onionhead, then head to a system that gets a decent amount of traffic.

Interdicted a guy. He submitted. Sent him my message. "Hey kid, wanna try some onionhead? First one's free." He flew off.
Repeat three more times. Same result every time. A couple of them didn't even slow down when I stopped to type. No panic, only the first one even bothered trying to fight the tunnel game instead of submitting immediately. If I was actually hostile (or, indeed, armed) there's no way I could have taken any of them out in that sort of timeframe.

This does make me wonder how actual piracy is supposed to work when talking just gets you low-waked on, but hey.
You mass lock with a cutter and immediately send hatch breakers.
Also you blow them up if they keep moving.
Which is propably considered a "gank" :eek:

Okay...then ganking is defined by destroying the ship?

I have a very valid (non ganking) tactic:
1. disable FSD
2. disable Thrusters
3. disable Live Support
4. Get yourself some popcorn, beer and enjoy the flaming for 7.5 minutes.

:devilish:

You identify the core issue for piracy:-

For piracy to work between players, talking has to be a better option than running for the interdicted player.

It's not easy to set up the game to make this the case, so it's not surprising that FD haven't succeeded. Some features which contradict this ATM are:
1. Running is very safe.
2. Chat UI is clumsy.
3. The interdicted player doesn't know whether he faces a pirate or a lulz-killer.

1 and 2 could probably be fixed. After all the multi-page threads on these subjects I think we're still waiting for a solution to 3 though.

Some people consider pulling you out of supercruise as griefing already.
what you do is beyond cruel 😝
If piracy was more profitable in this game there may actually be more PVP pirates out there, sadly it is not a viable career. So most PVP encounters are going to be some sad git who gets his jollys of the back of some noobie just trying to get started.:(

I have been victim to the idiots, I did not have a clue what I was doing wrong. Just kept getting killed.
So I decided the game was absurd and not fun to play.
I have got back into the seat two years latter, now only in solo.
I have no time for idiots, I want nothing to do with them.
Why reward bullies, Not enough consequences for bad behaviour !
Meaning the game has a huge flaw, if It promotes Bulling !
The game could be very good indeed if the tide turned away from allowing idiots to get away with such blatant Thuggery. They need to be dispatched to an other Galaxy Far Far away.
No need. Also please stop wasting real life energy on these socially challenged morons. Your absolute and complete solution to playing with other civilized players (like myself) is Mobius PvE. PvP of any kind is explicitly forbidden. It's you v. the NPC and world environment. Regardless of whether you and other players consent to some sort of PvP activity for RP purposes. And with or without other players you encounter and/or opt to wing up for an adventure with.

Also I recommend not playing in Solo because of the possibility that you could get stuck/dead in the water and end up being on life support. With only the life support count down timer as your only means of entertainment. No fuel rats or other players like myself would be able to SAR and bail you from the eminent rebuy screen. So look to PvE Mobius. Which is 40,000 players strong. And where you can finally begin to enjoy a unique solo or CoOp experience with other like minded PvE Commanders like yourself.

Answer the call today

Hope to see you soon on our shard in the black Cmnder! 07 07 07

No need. Also please stop wasting real life energy on these socially challenged morons. Your absolute and complete solution to playing with other civilized players (like myself) is Mobius PvE. PvP of any kind is explicitly forbidden. It's you v. the NPC and world environment. Regardless of whether you and other players consent to some sort of PvP activity for RP purposes. And with or without other players you encounter and/or opt to wing up for an adventure with.

Also I recommend not playing in Solo because of the possibility that you could get stuck/dead in the water and end up being on life support. With only the life support count down timer as your only means of entertainment. No fuel rats or other players like myself would be able to SAR and bail you from the eminent rebuy screen. So look to PvE Mobius. Which is 40,000 players strong. And where you can finally begin to enjoy a unique solo or CoOp experience with other like minded PvE Commanders like yourself.

Answer the call today

Hope to see you soon on our shard in the black Cmnder! 07 07 07
"We'll be right back after this break" (TV-Jingle playing) :sneaky:

Deleted member 182079

D

1. disable FSD
2. disable Thrusters
3. disable Live Support

This made me glol:D

I tried PvP piracy exactly once, quite recently. It was in Reorte (home of the CODE), and I was there in my pirate Viper Mk4 to farm mats from mining ships in the local RES.

When I was about to leave, I spotted a CMDR in a T9, so I thought, let's see how this works. Interdicted him (I felt bad already), then spent the next few seconds typing "don't run", and immediately scanning his hold (still feeling bad), while his FSD spooled up already.

Turns out he was running empty. Seconds later, he low-waked before I could even type "good luck;)" and that was that.

I realise I was in the wrong ship, but it was oh so tempting to just open up because they completely ignored me. As such, I can completely understand why most CMDRs just don't bother with any formalities at all, and worst case just open up straightaway.

1. disable FSD
2. disable Thrusters
3. disable Live Support

"enjoy the flaming" - Just a note to anyone here who made any post claiming we can't understand the motivations and emotions that drive this kind of play.

You see, that is the thing. I have lost ships, to a number of player pirates. All basically, down to my own actions. We are talking post engineers here. Player starts the blue circle game and I submit. Most times, before I finish dropping, there it is, a message over the comes. 'Pay up or die', but I am already doing a sir robin and thinking, yeah whatever, catch me if you can and sometimes, they do. Now this IS the game and sometimes, I will lose and it is fair enough to me. I could have paid up, or at least tried to negotiate, but I didn't, I took the risk and ran.

This is no way ganking, of griefing, even if the pirate is in a mega ship and I am in my Cobra.

You identify the core issue for piracy:-

For piracy to work between players, talking has to be a better option than running for the interdicted player.

It's not easy to set up the game to make this the case, so it's not surprising that FD haven't succeeded. Some features which contradict this ATM are:
1. Running is very safe.
2. Chat UI is clumsy.
3. The interdicted player doesn't know whether he faces a pirate or a lulz-killer.

1 and 2 could probably be fixed. After all the multi-page threads on these subjects I think we're still waiting for a solution to 3 though.
I have often wondered if there could be something added, to submitting. E.G. '0' throttle plus. Something that causes harm, to the aggressor, in some small way. Mines are obviously one idea, but they take up valuable module space.

Top Bottom