Game Discussions Game with most tedious grind....

Elite is nowhere near as grindy, after they switched engineer mods from having random stats ---> to linear upgrades with hard caps.

Which leads me to Diablo 3 and games like it — where the only reason to keep playing after the campaign, is to grind for the same gear you already have, because the gear might have a different random combination of stats and abilities.

No, definitely not blaming the player, I am blaming the ease with which credits can be had nowadays.
For me personally a lot of the fun is in having to work for something. Even just buying the Viper really meant something to me in the early days, earning enough to buy a Python and upgrading its modules was a huge undertaking. When I bought the Anaconda after 16 months or so I could not even afford to upgrade it and first had to park it and earn more credits in my Python. I loved that.

But nowadays people can post comments saying "I am new to this game, and my Anaconda..." Being new and already having the credits for an Anaconda should not be possible.
I think this is bad for the game as such. There have to be long term goals. There need to be things at the horizon you want to earn the credits for.
For some the carrier might become such a thing.... which is good for them.
Sadly for me, being a soloist, I do not see the point of the carrier at all.
Totally agree mate

Elite is nowhere near as grindy, after they switched engineer mods from having random stats ---> to linear upgrades with hard caps.

Which leads me to Diablo 3 and games like it — where the only reason to keep playing after the campaign, is to grind for the same gear you already have, because the gear might have a different random combination of stats and abilities.
"Only" took like 2 years to do that. Really, who sticks that long to a game with a terrible progression like the initial 2.1?

X3TC's the hub plot (the movable jump gates thing) unmodded is the most epic grind I've ever noped out on and finished years later when you could automate the slog of mats for it via independent trader control software.

I always went with best of three in engineers V1, never actually bothered to grind at it.

X3TC's the hub plot (the movable jump gates thing) unmodded is the most epic grind I've ever noped out on and finished years later when you could automate the slog of mats for it via independent trader control software.

I always went with best of three in engineers V1, never actually bothered to grind at it.
Lol, ye. I have no idea what they were thinking. I played lots of hours and never finished that one. With autotraders.

Lol, ye. I have no idea what they were thinking. I played lots of hours and never finished that one. With autotraders.

It was crazy, I connected a system with two factory complexes to it just to run the raw mats with a convoy of traders doing nothing but fetch and carry. Come to think of it that just did the microchips I stopped again at the taldianium.

It was crazy, I connected a system with two factory complexes to it just to run the raw mats with a convoy of traders doing nothing but fetch and carry. Come to think of it that just did the microchips I stopped again at the taldianium.
When the gameplay is as awesome as X3's it's not considered grind.

When the gameplay is as awesome as X3's it's not considered grind.

Lol awesome stuff requirements :

Stage 1: Gate pair 1

• 400 Computer Components
  • 500 Microchips

Stage 2: Realignment
  • 150,000 Teladianium
  • 450,000 Ore

Stage 3: Gate pair 2
  • 500 Nividium
  • 250,000 Crystals

Stage 4: Gate pair 3
  • 15 million Credits (Paranid Communications Facility)
  • 400,000 Silicon wafers
  • 75,000 Microchips
Makes ED station repairs seem easy.

Lol awesome stuff requirements :

Stage 1: Gate pair 1

• 400 Computer Components
  • 500 Microchips

Stage 2: Realignment
  • 150,000 Teladianium
  • 450,000 Ore

Stage 3: Gate pair 2
  • 500 Nividium
  • 250,000 Crystals

Stage 4: Gate pair 3
  • 15 million Credits (Paranid Communications Facility)
  • 400,000 Silicon wafers
  • 75,000 Microchips
Makes ED station repairs seem easy.
A wise man once told me that grind is all in your mind. Actually, he said that every time the subject came up, but still...

A wise man once told me that grind is all in your mind. Actually, he said that every time the subject came up, but still...

That unsung hero is indeed very wise.

He probably added that if you choose to do it you'll burn out which is why he not only advises against it but avoids it himself.

No Man's Sky seems to be entirely developed around a grind-wall. Black Desert Online is pretty, but made into a slog by having to grind against timers. Fishing was great in that game, though.

:D S

I was just wondering how long this thread would have to go on before someone mentioned the M.O.A.G. :LOL:

The Xenon Hub plot, now that was a game in itself...

I was just wondering how long this thread would have to go on before someone mentioned the M.O.A.G. :LOL:

The Xenon Hub plot, now that was a game in itself...

It was a sort of background hobby you'd return to every now and again once you were a super space mogul and your factories were dedicated to making the bits, then you'd look at the paltry number you'd managed to accumulate for it and pop off to pick a fight with the xenon instead.

X3TC is still my favourite space mogul game by a long shot, calling in a wing of destroyers all armed with a couple of hundred nukes each was always a blast (pun intended). I should try to get around to looking into the new one.

I wonder what sort of percentage of players ever finished the hub and if it triggered something like :

Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada.

Which is why you never meet anyone who did it.

Last edited:
I wonder what sort of percentage of players ever finished the hub and if it triggered something like :

Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada.

Ha, I see you're a man of culture :LOL:

I've personally never even got near that mission chain, even being very much involved on other aspects of that game(s). The horror stories were enough, and I've always been very very crap at doing economy stuff anyway. My sorry excuse for a properties list was a sad and messy yellow-blinking affair. 😅
But I know several people who did it, and I applaud their spirit.
It's a bit the same with the last X4, I see people setting up totally humongous space cities with hundreds of production modules spanning dozens of km, manipulating demand/offer and waging economic war to factions, while I struggled to build a small dock for my barren HQ...

Ha, I see you're a man of culture :LOL:

I've personally never even got near that mission chain, even being very much involved on other aspects of that game(s). The horror stories were enough, and I've always been very very crap at doing economy stuff anyway. My sorry excuse for a properties list was a sad and messy yellow-blinking affair. 😅
But I know several people who did it, and I applaud their spirit.
It's a bit the same with the last X4, I see people setting up totally humongous space cities with hundreds of production modules spanning dozens of km, manipulating demand/offer and waging economic war to factions, while I struggled to build a small dock for my barren HQ...

I always set up in a sector with one gate (in X3TC), you start out with a single mine and a couple of captured pirate transporters. Then it slowly turns into a self sustaining weapon, energy, missile fab that acts as a home base with a few destroyers lurking a few KM's inside the gate with at least three turrets covering it ready to ruin everyone's day if they are foolhardy enough to pop through. No nukes for the gate ships though as they tended to also destroy your customers.

I love the idea of the X series of games and i just know if i could get past the initial learning cliff i would get on really well... but i have tried on 3 separate times in different X games and yet failed to break through somehow. i really must try again.

is X Rebirth still all that bad or did it do a NMS and improve? i am continually tempted with X Rebirth VR.

I love the idea of the X series of games and i just know if i could get past the initial learning cliff i would get on really well... but i have tried on 3 separate times in different X games and yet failed to break through somehow. i really must try again.

is X Rebirth still all that bad or did it do a NMS and improve? i am continually tempted with X Rebirth VR.

Never tried that one.

If you do the main story campaigns of X3TC it'll give you missions that slowly introduce you to all the stuff like placing mines and stations (with free ones). There are also one off random missions to set factories up and things, but you'll need the dosh to buy the factories.

Start out bounty hunting, git-gud at forcing the last pirate to eject and claim the ship (drop the shields do some hull damage and keep them at that point till they bail out). Sell or upgrade to that new ship, you can repair its hull with your suit mounted repair laser which gets you a better sell price and it'll move faster.

Use that to finance a factory capture a few pirate transports and assign them to running raw mats and selling the stuff. You are now a budding mini-mogul. You can link factories so once you can add things like power to it so it generates all its own raw mats (that's a long term goal).

Use the DLC independent trader software (free and official) and you can train transport pilots to use jump drives, refuel and buy and sell your stuff for you.

If you want a bit of a headstart there are abandoned ships out there, I know the location of a good fully equipped heavy fighter that I head straight for on any new game. (bottom right sector, bottom right of the sector between three asteroids in close proximity watch out for the mines). That sector also makes a good home as its only got one gate so you can defend it and some usable asteroids for silicon mines which you need to generate your own power and ore mines which you need to manufacture weapons.

Save a lot when you are setting up factories in case you drop them outside the range you can link them at.

Top Bottom