Clipper Needs To Be Re-speced to land on medium pads.

Its a great everything, and that's one of the trade offs. Sure, people dock at outposts, but its not essential for mining to do so. I don't remember the last time when i was looking at the best selling price tool that it was at an outpost.
It's most certainly not a great combat ship. Its capable, but its not great. It being capable is more up to the pilot anway

To be fair, it is a 22 mill "all-rounder". Expectations for its performance vs mid-sized ships costing 50 mil or the big guys should be tempered.
Yeah, I don't get the high expectations for it. It is what it is and it's pretty good. So it's not perfect...it's not 100% what someone wants it to be...that's ok.

It's most certainly not a great combat ship. Its capable, but its not great. It being capable is more up to the pilot anway

The Clipper is a fantastic sec killer ship, pirate and anything that requires shock and running away.

For example I use them for BGS murder sprees, as the speed even at G1 levels is nice, and when ATR pop up its vital.

The Clipper is a fantastic sec killer ship, pirate and anything that requires shock and running away.

For example I use them for BGS murder sprees, as the speed even at G1 levels is nice, and when ATR pop up its vital.
Exactly this. As I said, choose your fights...my Clipper is a pirate and passenger liner killer. It's very well suited for the role. When the cops show up, I hit the boost and get out.

Didn't the Mamba took that away from the Clipper a bit?
Slightly less fast, but more firepower & shield tank instead of hull tank.
AND it's M pad, so I'd say the Clipper is outperformed on nearly all accounts here.

AND it's M pad, so I'd say the Clipper is outperformed on nearly all accounts here.

Mamba - No to minimum jump range. Pitch rates comparable to T9, while Imp. Clipper dances like an Eagle and with four gimballed frags it is something really scary.

No way. Jump range and internals suck. I couldn't pirate the way I do in a Mamba.

Personally? No.

Reasons:

Mamba is more powerful and fast, but crucially it is rubbish at turning around. Now, when you have split seconds and a foe is dodging over you that can mean killing a mark or having to bug out early.

If you are allowing yourself to be hit, you are doing it wrong in a Clipper- its all about bullying smaller ships, and jumping out fast. At points you'll have about ten seconds to wipe out the target and jump, so really you need to gank the NPC rather than dogfight it.

M pad is nice, but its not a be all / end all thing. I like to plan ahead and anticipate L pad issues- plus, when you are out BGS murdering it does not matter if the victim system has L, M pads.

Lastly: cost. The Clipper is cheap- really cheap. Rebuy and fines are much lower, while the Mamba is costly. Its like going on an attack driving a Bugatti- I'm not Dominic Toretto in Fast and the Furious :D

Personally? No.

Reasons:

Mamba is more powerful and fast, but crucially it is rubbish at turning around. Now, when you have split seconds and a foe is dodging over you that can mean killing a mark or having to bug out early.

If you are allowing yourself to be hit, you are doing it wrong in a Clipper- its all about bullying smaller ships, and jumping out fast. At points you'll have about ten seconds to wipe out the target and jump, so really you need to gank the NPC rather than dogfight it.

M pad is nice, but its not a be all / end all thing. I like to plan ahead and anticipate L pad issues- plus, when you are out BGS murdering it does not matter if the victim system has L, M pads.

Lastly: cost. The Clipper is cheap- really cheap. Rebuy and fines are much lower, while the Mamba is costly. Its like going on an attack driving a Bugatti- I'm not Dominic Toretto in Fast and the Furious :D
You have nailed it 100%.

Bit of planning, proper use of the Clipper's strength, and it's the pirate ship in the game.

Yeah the type 7 is about 2m too tall and would have to have the hydraulics for those winglets fixed so they can fold up. Maybe while they are at it they could unjam the hardpoint door to give it an extra class one weapon.
The clipper is however a lot wider than the medium pad allows so would need a pretty extensive redesign. It would probably be easier now to make a sub type of the clipper like with the kraits and just give the existing clipper a fighter hangar to give it a reason to exist
You can land a sidewinder on a small pad change ships to a cutter and take the cutter back out the same pad. So the programmers can make anything they want to work. So it would be childs play to make a clipper work on a medium pad without changing it\s size at all.

Top Bottom