Why atmospheric landings?

While I entirely agree we should be careful - we don't want to see Frontier posting something like this ..

We've listened to the community and we've decided to delay the 2020 update (and fleet carriers) until 2022 so we can re-prioritise the efforts of the development team and get them working on exciting new atmospheric landing content. In the meantime ... join us tonight as Stephen and Paige go bug hunting with the Anti-Xeno Initiative
After gathering forum feedback we came to the conclusion that only 2.8% of the community is interested in atmospheric planets and space legs so we decided to reprioritise these features into a later release. We'll buff mining payouts instead.

I've gone into depth on why I want atmo elsewhere, but here is a short list...

• Atmospheric Flight creates more dynamic battles over planets
  • Weather effects deepen immersion and create new challenges and module opportunities (Storms, Wind, Fly-By-Instruments, Etc.)
  • Weather effects deepen immersion and create new challenges for SRVs
  • Atmospheric Flight and its potential challenges can be used to balance planetary markets/missions to be more lucrative
  • Atmospheric Flight removes one more barrier to opening up other world types for exploration

Far from an exhaustive list, but that's my two credits. Atmo does a lot more than add just immersion value - it can be an entire feature set that deepens and diversifies gameplay for planetary missions, POIs, and exploration.

I would love to get atmospheric landings.

I could go on all day long saying why I believe being able to access all the planets in the galaxy would be absolutely fantastic.

But then I noticed the OP created this thread in a "atmospheric landings instead of spacelegs" tone...

... so I can't in due conscience contribute, because I want both, not one at the expense of the other.
This. I want both too and will be happy with either as long as the implementation is good.

Because it's one more step for completing the game world.
Because it's actual space sim content.
Because they are beautiful and I'd really love to see (acidic) rain on my canopy.
Because it could come with a lot of great gameplay mechanics and a makeover for planetary surfaces in general, since when they are working on planets, I'm pretty sure they will all profit from it.
Because atmospheric landings would be in line with ED's prequels, where we can even land on earth-likes, which I don't expect from atmospheric landings in Elite at first.
Because I am not keen on any FPS shootout gameplay in my favorite space sim but instead want the tech, the ships and more things I can do while space faring.

Add your reasons if you like, just please don't make this another space legs thread. Thanks.

And because it would be wonderful to be able to cruise through the atmosphere of a gas giant, scooping up rare gasses and watching the cloudscape and lightning display all around.

It could even mean getting the ability to fly closer to stars (with special shielding perhaps) and watch the immense corona all around us.

It would be awesome to be stuck in mud, get the paint scraped off by 500 km/h acidic winds, get the canopy crushed by enormous pressure, and get lost in the SRV while being blown sideways down a slope with 0.1 m visibility, ...

There is so much gameplay and vistas to enjoy with atmospheric flight without even introducing theme park-like flora and fauna.

:D S

Because it's one more step for completing the game world.
Because it's actual space sim content.
Because they are beautiful and I'd really love to see (acidic) rain on my canopy.
Because it could come with a lot of great gameplay mechanics and a makeover for planetary surfaces in general, since when they are working on planets, I'm pretty sure they will all profit from it.
Because atmospheric landings would be in line with ED's prequels, where we can even land on earth-likes, which I don't expect from atmospheric landings in Elite at first.
Because I am not keen on any FPS shootout gameplay in my favorite space sim but instead want the tech, the ships and more things I can do while space faring.

Add your reasons if you like, just please don't make this another space legs thread. Thanks.
Because other game competitors like Space Engineers have successfully pulled this off with fan base mods
Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=33&v=vTXns_Q5yUM&feature=emb_logo

Because a fan boy made an incredible atmospheric weather demo complete with volumetric clouds a while back. Which makes it quite a significant possibility to have atmospheric landings. A FAN BOI not FDev
Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLUR7m3aBC8

Because it's also quite a significant possibility FDev wants to add them. But have been limited by the technical capabilities of the game design to date......

Because a fan boy made an incredible atmospheric weather demo complete with volumetric clouds a while back. Which makes it quite a significant possibility to have atmospheric landings. A FAN BOI not FDev
That's made with Unreal Engine 4 and I'm guessing is not actually procedural.

I have serious doubts ED will ever look like that, though I guess dum spiro spero.

The weather demo was it using the cobra engine?
It's VRage 2 developed in house by the Keen Software dev. Weather effects were added to pre existing atmospheric planets. So apologies for the misleading video description.

That's made with Unreal Engine 4 and I'm guessing is not actually procedural.

I have serious doubts ED will ever look like that, though I guess dum spiro spero.
Well thanks for the clarification on that. At least I can still look forward to the possibility of FCs.

So I suppose I can still dream about what the 2020 update will showcase.

Last edited:
Rule of Cool undeniably supports Atmospheric Landings.

Because it could come with a lot of great gameplay mechanics...

I'll believe that when I see it, but we know we can count on FD's graphics/audio department to make my 3 second Ground Assault missions look and sound fantastic.

Because other game competitors like Space Engineers have successfully pulled this off with fan base mods
Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=33&v=vTXns_Q5yUM&feature=emb_logo

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLUR7m3aBC8

Because it's also quite a significant possibility FDev wants to add them. But have been limited by the technical capabilities of the game design to date......
Space Engineers is no competitor for me. I have it and I played it, and I like it. It's not at all like Elite though.
Concerning the atmospheric landings demo: it's pretty cool and a great achievement, but it doesn't take into account procedural creation, different kinds of atmosphere and surface and so on. I am pretty sure, Frontier could create an awesome looking tech-demo in no time. That's just not all.
And we will see what they will do with it when it's part of the game. Frontier has a lot of assets in the game they could have used for gameplay purposes, but didn't, which is kinda irritating. I meant the Thargoid stuff for example, along with a lot of other stuff that could have been served as a basis for gameplay that is not of the shoot em up variety.
So we'll see.

I want Atmospheric Landings because it should be in the game, and I think it's ridiculous that it isn't.

How did this company go from releasing a game in 1993 that simulated the Milky Way galaxy, allowed you to buy and sell different ships, hire crew, had Thargoids in it AND you could land on any planet AND it fit on a 1.44Mb floppy disc (I'm not exaggerating. I had FEII for the Amiga and it was a single 1.44Mb floppy disc)

TO

Elite Dangerous and all the things we moan about?

How did this company go from releasing a game in 1993 that simulated the Milky Way galaxy, allowed you to buy and sell different ships, hire crew, had Thargoids in it AND you could land on any planet AND it fit on a 1.44Mb floppy disc (I'm not exaggerating. I had FEII for the Amiga and it was a single 1.44Mb floppy disc)
The expectations of what the atmosphere and structure assets should look like were rather low back then.

I want Atmospheric Landings because it should be in the game, and I think it's ridiculous that it isn't.

If its a deal breaker for you wouldn't it have been better to nope out or wait ?. I don't like 3rd person games so I don't buy them.

Nostalgia goggles are a thing but the graphics, sound, flight model and a huge load of other gubbins are quite a bit better in ED than I remember in the older versions.

TO

Nothing, self inflicted grind and other people liking stuff seem to be the biggest issues.

TO

I'm sure Fdev could release atmospheric planets pretty quickly if it looked like FE2. But games have moved on these days and these games take a long time to make. Unless you want every atmospheric planet to look alike, it's gonna take a long time if you want it to look good.

Top Bottom