Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

I'm still holding out hope that they will make some changes to the way base ownership works, and allow shared base ownership (and hey while we're dreaming - carriers) between at least 4 people. This is really the make or break feature for me as far as multiplayer goes. Otherwise, yeah I'll probably reinstall at some point but I'm going to give up on it as an online game because the multiplayer just isn't fun when you can't freely share and pool your resources to build something together ala Minecraft.

And uh . . . with all the new space interactivity, a flight model revamp can't be far off, right? Right? . . . guys?
Something I'd like to do in multiplayer is to have a group of people and build a whole city. Not sure the LOD complexity can be handled though, but I think of... 2nd life in space. :D

Also, I want more space stations in space, not just planetary things. Elite does have more of a true star-system feel with the stars, planets, and stations. NMS is very poor when it comes to the things in the sky. Rich on land, but not much up there.

Multicrew in some bigger ships. NPCs walking around and doing things in capital ship. Having to make sleeping quarters. Maybe have access to engine and repair, do things there. Have full access to the frigates. And more...

Big wishlist.

Well done to HG for their next update.

Conversely it shines a somewhat poor light on other developers - HG bring out what would be considered a major update, if not DLC, several times a year.

Precisely. Look at what Sean wrote with this release:

You might have noticed that since Beyond launched we’ve been experimenting with something new. We have been releasing regular feature updates every month or so, along with community missions and new content every week.

In previous years we have focused the team around one large update. We’ve been really proud of the work we did on these huge updates like NEXT or Beyond, but something always bothered us… there was normally 8 months or more where we were silent, and the community was left wondering if we would ever update the game again! Meanwhile there were smaller features that were ready earlier, but had to wait until all the other work they were wrapped up in was complete.

Whilst we continue to work on more radical things longer term in the background, in the meantime we are experimenting with releasing content we know the community would enjoy as soon as we’re able.

We are enjoying these more regular updates, and the community seems to appreciate them too. This January had more players on all platforms than any previous year, and the average player enjoys longer and more varied sessions across the board. Hopefully folks will be excited about the surprise of the Living Ship update too.

We hope players enjoy this new update, hopefully the first of many in 2020.

Our journey continues.
Sean

This stands in stark contrast to...other developers that can't even keep a launcher looking presentable with a team the same size as the entirety of Hello Games. 🙄

Last edited:
Right! Yeah, that's totally new.

To compare, Elite always had 95%+ of the stuff to find and do in space, and only 5% on planets, while NMS was the reverse, almost everything is on planets and much less in space, but they're added things to do in space. And I love it!

That's exactly what the game needs now. Space was too bland. Now it is getting interesting! Great stuff!

Congrats! Mark it or build a base there. You never know when you might need to go back and use it. I was stupid. I had one marked with a base, and then... idiot as I am, removed it, and now I have to go and find a new one

Good idea! I am discovering that NMS has a lot of depth to it. There is a learning curve that isn't apparent at first because of all the pretty scenery that sort of presents that game as little more than a "walking simulator." 😄 But there is now enough meat on the bones to make the game deeper than it first appears. At some point, I am going to start over because I've made a bunch of boneheaded decisions already.

That's exactly what the game needs now. Space was too bland. Now it is getting interesting! Great stuff!
Encountered the first space animal. An asteroid worm or something. Tried to kill it... what else... didn't work, but it kept attacking me with some stuff that was damaging my shield a little.

Good idea! I am discovering that NMS has a lot of depth to it. There is a learning curve that isn't apparent at first because of all the pretty scenery that sort of presents that game as little more than a "walking simulator." 😄 But there is now enough meat on the bones to make the game deeper than it first appears. At some point, I am going to start over because I've made a bunch of boneheaded decisions already.
It's my third start-over I'm playing right now. :) What bugs me is that I can't go to the other places I had under the other saves, unless I load them and go to every place and document the portal glyphs.

Got started on the egg hunt. I'm at a point where I have to wait 25 hours for somethiggamajigger has to grow. Don't think it'll give me a ship but rather something else... don't know what it'll be.

Encountered the first space animal. An asteroid worm or something. Tried to kill it... what else... didn't work, but it kept attacking me with some stuff that was damaging my shield a little.

It's my third start-over I'm playing right now. :) What bugs me is that I can't go to the other places I had under the other saves, unless I load them and go to every place and document the portal glyphs.

Got started on the egg hunt. I'm at a point where I have to wait 25 hours for somethiggamajigger has to grow. Don't think it'll give me a ship but rather something else... don't know what it'll be.

I love the idea that it takes hours for it to grow! That is what I also like about the fleet missions. I love games that have features that play out in real time. One of the better things adopted from the world of mobile gaming.

I haven't had a chance to play yet with the new update. 😭

I love the idea that it takes hours for it to grow! That is what I also like about the fleet missions. I love games that have features that play out in real time. One of the better things adopted from the world of mobile gaming.

EWW NO! I -hate- in-game events that play out in real-time. That's just an encouragement to go away and do/play something else until the timer ticks down. Or the start of the slipperly slope of microtransactions (spend a blazipillion zarks and Get It Now!)

Having events that play out in game-time is perfectly fine; I have no problem with having to wait a week (or whatever) in game-time for an event to unfold. But never in real-time. For example, I may have a full weekend to play a game, but then, due to RL, not be able to play again for a month. So having a real-time timer which takes a day would effectively waste half of my available gaming time. But in that same 2 real days,I could play a month of game-time (depending on the game).

EWW NO! I -hate- in-game events that play out in real-time. That's just an encouragement to go away and do/play something else until the timer ticks down. Or the start of the slipperly slope of microtransactions (spend a blazipillion zarks and Get It Now!)

Having events that play out in game-time is perfectly fine; I have no problem with having to wait a week (or whatever) in game-time for an event to unfold. But never in real-time. For example, I may have a full weekend to play a game, but then, due to RL, not be able to play again for a month. So having a real-time timer which takes a day would effectively waste half of my available gaming time. But in that same 2 real days,I could play a month of game-time (depending on the game).
What I do is to start certain events like sending my fleet on missions and let the plants grow for harvest, and then I'll go and do other things like a quicksilver community goal. Next day, I'll check on the fleet and harvest the plants, fill up my storage and sell overflow or put stuff in refinery for materials to build bases, send the fleet on new missions. Plenty of things to do while waiting for the events to finish.

I actually like that not everything is instant gratification, but there's some work and some wait for something else while working.

Definitely on-board with the non-instant-gratification. But very reluctant to turn that into out-of-game timers.

NMS is a bit odd in that things occur BOTH in game-time AND in real-time. Or rather, certain things happen in real time irrespective of whether or not the game is running. I can sortof see why they did it (shoe-horning in the multiplayer which everybody and their dog was screaming about) but I wish I could turn it off so that those timers would only run down while I was actually playing and then having those timers at a well-calibrated pace for game progression.

Definitely on-board with the non-instant-gratification. But very reluctant to turn that into out-of-game timers.

NMS is a bit odd in that things occur BOTH in game-time AND in real-time. Or rather, certain things happen in real time irrespective of whether or not the game is running. I can sortof see why they did it (shoe-horning in the multiplayer which everybody and their dog was screaming about) but I wish I could turn it off so that those timers would only run down while I was actually playing and then having those timers at a well-calibrated pace for game progression.
Ah. I can see your point.

So I posted this today and was made aware that this thread existed. I've been playing both Elite Dangerous and NMS since the beginning. Nice to know this thread is here. I'll watch it as well as the NMS discord now. o7

I saw the news about these Living Ships and couldn't believe what I saw!!
I haven't played nms for a couple months but it seems I missed a lot of cool stuff added.
So I started the quest to get a Living Ship yesterday and noticed so many changes in the game, nms is realy becoming more and more awesome.
I'm diving right back into it.

It's great that they seem to be fleshing out (pun intended) the in space experience, doubly so as it does indeed seem that space whales have finally made it into the game.
Space Whales? Cool!

Had my first meaningful play on new PC, everything on ultra and 60fps at 1080p, looks awesome.....but still pop in. If I'm honest rather than Nvidia go down the Ray tracing road, I wish they'd find a way to eliminate pop up/in...nothing shatters an illusion of "being there" (caveat yup I realise NMS isn't realistic! ;) ) more than pop in IMO.

It's great that they seem to be fleshing out (pun intended) the in space experience, doubly so as it does indeed seem that space whales have finally made it into the game.

Exactly!
I do have to get used to the new additions though, lots of new things to make and synthesize.
I realy like the qol improvements too.

And just today I fire the game up and get a bug fix patch, three days after the release of the update, that's the way you do it, Fdev can take an example here imho especially since Hello Games isn't removing features in order to add or fix other things.

People can say what they want regarding the bumpy start of nms, Hello Games more then compensated imho and there's yet more to come, freakin' awesome!

Did I understand correctly that the Living Ship will replace the ship you're currently in when the egg hatches?
If so then I want to fly an expendable ship when it hatches.

...Did I understand correctly that the Living Ship will replace the ship you're currently in when the egg hatches?
If so then I want to fly an expendable ship when it hatches.

Ooh! That's well worth knowing. Makes you wonder what happens if it hatches on your freighter.

People can say what they want regarding the bumpy start of nms, Hello Games more then compensated imho and there's yet more to come, freakin' awesome!

Doubly so as all the updates have been for free.

Last edited:
I can't play on my main save just now, as it relies on mods which the latest update has broken & waiting (hoping) for an update. :( My fault I suppose.

I can't play on my main save just now, as it relies on mods which the latest update has broken & waiting (hoping) for an update. :( My fault I suppose.
I wish there was a way to give a name to each save file (like a character name?). I have 3 different "normal" mode saves. One of them I started when the game came out. The second after Next or Beyond or something. And the third is when Abyss came out. Basically starting from start on each one to see what had changed in the story. But now... 3 files. Which one is which? I can only tell from when I played last and how many hours I have in on them.

I wish there was a way to give a name to each save file (like a character name?). I have 3 different "normal" mode saves. One of them I started when the game came out. The second after Next or Beyond or something. And the third is when Abyss came out. Basically starting from start on each one to see what had changed in the story. But now... 3 files. Which one is which? I can only tell from when I played last and how many hours I have in on them.

The most recent one you played is always the top one. So if you have three, and want to know which is which, you have to select the 3rd one three times. Other than that, it's just the time played. But I often get to about 30 hrs per save then get distracted & want to start again. So several of my saves are all the same length. :ROFLMAO:

OUCH! :( Hopefully it gets sorted soon - the mod developers seem pretty good at fixing their stuff up. What's the mod that's upset it?

Top Bottom