Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Got it!!!!

7A163E52CB6B52CA07B1D9A0E0F2CAD2E1298EA4

Its default name is The Creeping Pudog. Kind'a like it. :D

That's a very nice looking one!!
I'm almost there but when I stood in front of the portal I found out I haven't unlocked all glyphs yet so I can't finish the mission just yet.
I'm completing the Artemis quest now, in the end you get the remaining glyphs iirc.

Btw, here's a youtube that points you to a system where you get easy upgrade eggs for your living ship.

Source: https://youtu.be/VuLMEZfWZOc

Last edited:
There's still no way to sell starships, right? That's really a missing "feature" as there's no real way to get rid of a ship without exchanging it for another ship. So no way to play as a salvager really.
Yes you can, in a way at least. You sell it for scraps at the ship modifier and will get cash and components you can sell, sometimes even a slot upgrade you can use for your main ship.

Also weird that you can only ever buy ships from other individuals, ie, there's no shipyard.. The ship management is one thing that's always bugged me a bit in this game for some reason.
Good point. They could have buy and sell at the guy who sells the upgrade modules. Would make perfect sense.

And I'd like to have the ability to change colors and such at least, like we can with the exo crafts.

.... really gotta load of NMS again though, the Living Ships thing looks ace! Right after I finish updating some KSP mods lol.. (too many games, too little time..)
Looking forward to KSP 2 this year. And yeah, too many games... Personally, I'm split between NMS and my Oculus Quest right now. All those games where you do things to music are making it fun to exercise. :D

Although a shipyard would be nice I do like the element of surprise.
Right now you can't pick a ship you like and buy it from a list, you have to wait and see what ships land at a station or trading outpost, I like that.
I like the element of surprise, the moment that cool S class lands and only you can buy that unique ship.
I've got three exotic S class ships which I stumbled upon at a station or outpost, they're much more special to me now then when I would've been able to buy them from a list of ships at a yard.

I realy wish we could alter the ship's colors though.

So here's my experience finding upgrades to the living ship. I found a red system with a single planet and no space station. It's one of those empty systems. I warped my freighter there and by landing in it, I get an auto save. I fly out from the freighter in random direction for a minute or so, and get the signal that gives the egg. Get one, fly further, get another, fly back to my freighter and on the way I get another one. Land in the freighter, jump out to create a new autosave, reload the autosave to reset the timer or whatever it is for the randomizer, and fly out again. This way, I've already collected about 6 or 7 of these upgrades today. Very neat.

--edit: 30 minutes later

I filled up the tech slots now. Mostly A and B class, one S. Not bad.

Last edited:
So here's my experience finding upgrades to the living ship. I found a red system with a single planet and no space station. It's one of those empty systems. I warped my freighter there and by landing in it, I get an auto save. I fly out from the freighter in random direction for a minute or so, and get the signal that gives the egg. Get one, fly further, get another, fly back to my freighter and on the way I get another one. Land in the freighter, jump out to create a new autosave, reload the autosave to reset the timer or whatever it is for the randomizer, and fly out again. This way, I've already collected about 6 or 7 of these upgrades today. Very neat.

--edit: 30 minutes later

I filled up the tech slots now. Mostly A and B class, one S. Not bad.

I tried your suggestion and went to several red systems, no luck, not a single one.
Then I tried the system from the youtube vid I mentioned, I've got a nicely fully upgraded Living Ship in less then an hour, not all S class upgrades though, some don't go higher then C class.

I think they said that with the next patch/update you'll be able to upgrade your upgrades with nanites, nice!
Edit: That update just landed and it costs 210 nanites to evolve an upgrade one class higher.

Last edited:
I tried your suggestion and went to several red systems, no luck, not a single one.
Maybe there's more to it than just being red... Someone on Reddit had discovered that red were the place to find them, and I must've been lucky finding mine if there are other parameters affecting it.

Then I tried the system from the youtube vid I mentioned, I've got a nicely fully upgraded Living Ship in less then an hour, not all S class upgrades though, some don't go higher then C class.
Awesome!

I think they said that with the next patch/update you'll be able to upgrade your upgrades with nanites, nice!
Edit: That update just landed and it costs 210 nanites to evolve an upgrade one class higher.
Cool. I just saw the patch released and updated on my computer.

Although a shipyard would be nice I do like the element of surprise.
Right now you can't pick a ship you like and buy it from a list, you have to wait and see what ships land at a station or trading outpost, I like that.
Yes and no.

A shipyard could still only contain a small selection of ships found in the current system. The "element of surprise" is mostly just hanging around for 20 minutes while you wait for the various ship types in the current system to land to see if there's one you like (NB: I never do this.. in fact, I don't think I've ever just bought a ship, I only ever salvage broken ones, although that's become a major grind ever since the whole broken-slots thing became a thing). It's pretty neat that you can follow any ship and wait for it to land, then land next to it and buy it from the owner (if you're quick enough that is!).

But yeah, buying ships from rando's just seems weird. I mean, how often do you drive down a street, see a car you like, and start chatting to the owner to see if you can buy it off him right then and there with part-exchange for your old car?

Personally I'd be ok (from an immersion perspective) with either some sort of shipyard, or just salvaging. But the whole buying-from-individuals thing is just bizarre IMHO.

.. in fact, I don't think I've ever just bought a ship...

Wow, that's impressive, I have. By keeping an eye open at stations in an appropriate system I've picked up a couple of gorgeous exploration ships. Once you spot a design you like load and reload until one arrives of the spec you wish.

Yes I know some might say this is 'gaming the game' but I'm not bothered. And I guess those that are won't do it.

Wow, that's impressive
I don't think I've ever had enough credits LOL. Or by the time I did, I already had a ship I liked.. problem is I keep restarting every time a (major) update comes out, so while I've got plenty of hours in the game, I don't have all that many in each individual save. I only ever managed to get to another galaxy in one save, and didn't even reach the Center to do so - in fact, I was somewhat bummed by the alternate mechanism. I don't think the game designers really thought that one through too well.

I only ever managed to get to another galaxy in one save.......

I've been wondering about this.
What is so special about going to another galaxy? It's not as if Euclid doesn't have enough solar systems.
I finished the Artemis story except for the final stage where you have to make the choice whether to reset the galaxy or not, I realy wouldn't know what to do with another galaxy containing a billion stars.

But yeah, buying ships from rando's just seems weird. I mean, how often do you drive down a street, see a car you like, and start chatting to the owner to see if you can buy it off him right then and there with part-exchange for your old car?

I've had a random knock on the door and ask to buy my house before (that was pretty weird), but not my car. But I drive a piece of s--- so it's not surprising. :ROFLMAO:

I think it's a little weird that people consistently expect intergalactic starfaring fantasy worlds to adhere to the exact same cultural norms as 21st century middle class western society. Like, people seem to think that the way they're used to doing things is some kind of natural default, but there's nothing "normal" or "common sense" about the way your culture works. Nothing.

I think it's a little weird that people consistently expect intergalactic starfaring fantasy worlds to adhere to the exact same cultural norms as 21st century middle class western society. Like, people seem to think that the way they're used to doing things is some kind of natural default, but there's nothing "normal" or "common sense" about the way your culture works. Nothing.
True. Also, for me NMS is a game, not a simulation. I think HG has a lot more leeway and freedom to just play around and make solutions that works just to make it fun. That's probably the biggest difference between NMS and ED. ED is trying to be more realistic, a simulator, hard sci-fi, while NMS isn't.

True. Also, for me NMS is a game, not a simulation. I think HG has a lot more leeway and freedom to just play around and make solutions that works just to make it fun. That's probably the biggest difference between NMS and ED. ED is trying to be more realistic, a simulator, hard sci-fi, while NMS isn't.

And that's to its credit IMO... but more importantly, both strive to be internally consistent and realistic within the parameters set down. E: D lost that for me in a big way with telepresence, however with NMS there is no such concern.

I can see both sides of the NMS ships argument. There is a certain joy in finding a random ship you like, but equally, a ship market (perhaps even only available in certain system types) would be more convenient, but would destroy that random element of the game. I'm sure it's not a new idea from HG's point of view, and they've probably debated it in-house... leading to the system we currently have.

Last edited:
And that's to its credit IMO... but more importantly, both strive to be internally consistent and realistic within the parameters set down. E: D lost that for me in a big way with telepresence, however with NMS there is no such concern.
Agree. And there are a couple of other issues with ED that has just destroyed my "eee-mershion" feeling. Anyway, like you say, NMS has no constraints. They can do wha-ever heck they want with it.

I can see both sides of the NMS ships argument. There is a certain joy in finding a random ship you like, but equally, a ship market (perhaps even only available in certain system types) would be more convenient, but would destroy that random element of the game. I'm sure it's not a new idea from HG's point of view, and they've probably debated it in-house... leading to the system we currently have.
Yup. I like what's there right now, but I wouldn't mind having a shipyard, shop, and/or a way to change colors, wings, and other things on the standard ships (excluded exotic and biological).

Agree. And there are a couple of other issues with ED that has just destroyed my "eee-mershion" feeling. Anyway, like you say, NMS has no constraints. They can do wha-ever heck they want with it.

NMS is pure fantasy. It's ridiculous in so many real-world ways, but because it's internally consistent, you can cheerfully immerse yourself in it all and "believe" it.

They can do whatever the heck they want with it, but if they introduce something new, HG adjust the rest of the game to suit the new paradigm. Nothing is sacred. This is where NMS scores big over E: D, where their handwavium just exists in isolation - sticking out like a sore thumb, and killing the consistency of the rest of the game. Maybe 'new era' will resolve some of this if it's a complete re-write. I hope so. 🤷‍♀️

Yup. I like what's there right now, but I wouldn't mind having a shipyard, shop, and/or a way to change colors, wings, and other things on the standard ships (excluded exotic and biological).

And then you'd get people saying "But why can't I change things about my exotic and/or living ship?" to which the answer would be "Because...".

Go all in, or go home.

And then you'd get people saying "But why can't I change things about my exotic and/or living ship?" to which the answer would be "Because...".
We always want more, don't we. :D

Gib me! Gib me!

On a different note, it took me until now (all these years) to learn about glitch building. I thought the weird building constructions done by other people were done by mods and such, but apparently not. So I tried a little yesterday and to see how it works. Quite interesting. Hopefully HG won't nerf it, because then the glitchers would go bananas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom