No more patch updates before Fleet Carriers?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hey @rootsrat, thanks for asking.

As mentioned in the post that you linked to "We are now planning for Fleet Carriers to be released in an update in the second quarter of 2020". Now that we are just about to start entering that second quarter, the next update is going to include Fleet Carriers, which we expect to have more news about very soon. I can also confirm that this is not mutually exclusive from the other development work going into the update which will include some bug fixes. It is always more efficient to combine content and fixes into a single update, in order to reduce the time spent preparing and deploying those releases.

Thanks for your patience.
Quick question, Stephen. Will there be a livestream explaining fleet carriers to us in advance of their deployment as promised, or will they just appear one day?

It doesn't make sense for Frontier to announce anything including a date for an announcement until they are certain of the date. By not announcing anything until they are certain it gives Frontier some flexibility in the timeline to resolve any last minute issues that appear.

I'm sure Frontier are just as eager to talk about Fleet Carriers as we are to hear about them.

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

It takes a long time to get from one point to another in space, and as such my expectations from ED are 'meh' - they'll get here when they get here. No point in getting upset or excited about them now. Don't expect them to be on time or work properly, then if they DO arrive on time and DO work properly then we can be pleasantly surprised :)

In the meantime, go find your own things to do, set your own challenges or have a long-running project to fall back on

"See? No bugs reported"

:LOL:
giphy.gif

Hey @rootsrat, thanks for asking.

As mentioned in the post that you linked to "We are now planning for Fleet Carriers to be released in an update in the second quarter of 2020". Now that we are just about to start entering that second quarter, the next update is going to include Fleet Carriers, which we expect to have more news about very soon. I can also confirm that this is not mutually exclusive from the other development work going into the update which will include some bug fixes. It is always more efficient to combine content and fixes into a single update, in order to reduce the time spent preparing and deploying those releases.

Thanks for your patience.

Hello Stephen!
Would be open Beta before the Fleet Carriers update?
If yes
Will Beta include Fleet Carriers in it?

Last edited:
Thanks for replying Stephen. Release management is totally a thing, so combining the two together (fleet carrier's with bug-fixes) makes sense.

What we are experiencing now is the fact our community is very restless because there has been a very long gap in Elite's development with basically no new substantial content (especially for experienced players). The impatience is boiling over for many and it is making even smaller things seem like much bigger problems.

Frontier obviously made a calculated decision to refocus the vast majority of their resources into Elite's 'New Era'. Maybe that is a good decision, we will see. However, the way that decision was implemented was very harmful to the community in the short term. To your fans it just seems like the game is being pared back more and more (GALnet, CG's, II's). We want to play the game in the meantime while we wait.

Consistency has definitely been a problem as well, as past statements haven't lined up with the current plan. That is why people are confused about bug-fixes vs. fleet carriers. From the perspective of outsiders, it really does seem like folks at Frontier are making things up as they go along. That's what it looks like.

Time to look forward. It seems like that we will all be starting to climb out of this gloomy valley very soon. At some point when this drier period of Elite's history comes to an end I think the community would like the development team to communicate with us (even very broadly) acknowledging that there were some lessons learned and that they have a plan to avoid such a lengthy dearth of new content in the future. I think such an acknowledgement would go a long way to restoring trust with the community.

Here's hoping that 2020 turns out to be the start of Elite Dangerous' second golden age!

Assuming FC's can go 500LY, and then i'll have to farm for fuel, think i'll stick with my DBX with a Guardian booster on. Anywhere an FC goes, i can be there in 7 jumps, all i'll have to do is fuel scoop...9 ... 10... done

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom