Carriers can decomissioned and sold if owners don't meet running costs over time....

Why are you all so worried? Elite is do dumbed down from reason do you honestly think there will be a risk that fleet carrier gameplay will be hard punitive?

Everything they've built for the last 2 years has been about putting things in players laps for free. Why do you think they'll do otherwise here? The very worst case is they'll try to do what they believe is right then their marketing department will tell them to turn the gameplay system off. See credits, engineers, guardian unlocks, exploration, outfitting, mission boards, jump range... what else is left in the game?

Last edited:
I can understand the reason behind it. Fdev don't want hundreds of unused Fleet Carriers floating about the bubble. There has to be a better way than the decommission system. Loosing 5 Billion + credits (I'm guessing those upgrade don't come for free either), is just too much. Maybe move inactive Carriers to the cmdrs solo mode, but don't destroy someones ship (no matter how long that ultimately takes).

Looks like we are going to have to wait and see for more details.

However, i'm wondering, if you go out exploring with your fleet carrier and your whole fleet. Light years from anywhere. Then take a break from the game for a year. Come back and... what?

I wonder if FD have considered this scenario.

Depends how you do it I imagine.

It seems after all you will need a squadron buying from your central carrier to keep it going (or a steady stream of randos) or you dip into savings.

I suppose this is the first dose of reality since the beta days of high maintenance costs. This is a giant mobile outpost, what were people expecting? Its invincible so something has to be a downside, and credits flow like water.

Depends how you do it I imagine.

It seems after all you will need a squadron buying from your central carrier to keep it going (or a steady stream of randos) or you dip into savings.

I suppose this is the first dose of reality since the beta days of high maintenance costs. This is a giant mobile outpost, what were people expecting? Its invincible so something has to be a downside, and credits flow like water.

Maintaince costs are only incurred when you are logged in and doing stuff.

Now, if FCs indeed can generate passive income, then it can be offset... at least, if you park up and log off in a place where people might use your facilities.

I'm also not sure, but is it implied that somehow we can set prices for things, therefore this could be the start of a player assisted (as opposed to player driven) economy?

players needed credit sinks. having billions in the bank with nothing to do serves no purpose
Absolutely, Players Needed to pay tax, docking fees, storage and whatever else... but they don't and never have, and the economy seems to be just as rubbish as any other game, enticing players to sink 5Bcr into a 'mini station' that can be taken away isn't a credit sink it's dumb!

However... if the game is introducing something along the lines of the 'Ice Cream van' then licencing laws and such for Local councils might very well come into play within the Bubble, and I accept if I'm plying my trade I have to pay my way, Outside of the Bubble the thing should be mine and mine alone (should I choose) just like a ship I can all but abandon on a planet in the far reaches of the Galaxy while I play something else.

Sorry, what?

We buy a carrier and then there's a chance the game might take it off us again if we don't meet certain maintenance criteria?

I haven't really played much this year because there isn't much incentive.
My incentive to buy a carrier was to dump it somewhere remote for everybody to use.
If that's not going to be possible it'd be very easy for me to forget about ED permanantly right now.

FDev manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again. 😒
Absolutely spot on. Seriously flawed ED, slow hand clap. :(

To be honest, if that's true, I'd rather they dump FCs and implement atmospheric landings and space legs. We haven't even had the livestream and it already sounds borked. :D

I wonder, though, if I take my FC across to Beagle Point, how will they get it back and how can I pay for its upkeep thousands of LY away? :D

Last edited:
Maintaince costs are only incurred when you are logged in and doing stuff.

Now, if FCs indeed can generate passive income, then it can be offset... at least, if you park up and log off in a place where people might use your facilities.

I'm also not sure, but is it implied that somehow we can set prices for things, therefore this could be the start of a player assisted (as opposed to player driven) economy?

This was my thinking too- its like an automatic vending machine when you log out.

Top Bottom