Carriers can decomissioned and sold if owners don't meet running costs over time....

As delivery store you mean? Who's gonna get the credits? The owner of the FC? Shared among the group selling?

I wondered if it would be that someone has an FC, and people shop at that FC because its either somewhere really convenient or that it serves as a hub. My thought is an FC is like a mobile clubhouse- a PMF can take control of stations but never benefit from the infrastructures markets. FCs allow that, so done right they are self sustaining and the larger the squadron / buyers / sellers the easier they are to run.

I wondered if it would be that someone has an FC, and people shop at that FC because its either somewhere really convenient or that it serves as a hub. My thought is an FC is like a mobile clubhouse- a PMF can take control of stations but never benefit from the infrastructures markets. FCs allow that, so done right they are self sustaining and the larger the squadron / buyers / sellers the easier they are to run.
Makes me wonder why it isn't squadron stuff - iirc it was initially planned as that.

Decommissioning doesn't mean scrapping. It could just be putting them in "dry dock" and turn them of.

Maintenance cost is probably based on what services you -chose- to have. If you have minimal they are probably not crazy.
"...might, ultimately, be decommissioned and sold for parts "

Perhaps, or perhaps not. :p

My gaming time is dictated to me, and sometimes I can't play for a month at a time. I hope the mechanics allow for that!

My take on this?

Fleet carriers are expected to be operated like a business. Run it successfully, and it pays for itself. Run it poorly, and it's a constant drain on your resources.

After all, isn't this what a lot of people have been asking for? A player driven economy?

Well, this is what one looks like.

Until now, I had had no interest in Fleet Carriers at all. Now? Depending upon how its implemented, Stevenson Whirlwind Adventures may be expanding its operations.

My take on this?

Fleet carriers are expected to be operated like a business. Run it successfully, and it pays for itself. Run it poorly, and it's a constant drain on your resources.

After all, isn't this what a lot of people have been asking for? A player driven economy?

Well, this is what one looks like.

Until now, I had had no interest in Fleet Carriers at all. Now? Depending upon how its implemented, Stevenson Whirlwind Adventures may be expanding its operations.
I think I'd need to see some substantial updates to the economy sim to engage with running businesses in ED.

Considering one of the biggest mistakes Frontier made was removing running costs as a relevant factor for our ships, I welcome this. As long as the resource cap is high enough to allow players a bit of leeway when it comes to regular play, I'm all for it.

Don't see what all the rage is about , billionaires needed a credit/grind sink and kept asking loudly for one , proclaiming credit to be 'meaningless' .

So in that light the upkeep is also 'meaningless' and minor effort to these uber money makers .

"...might, ultimately, be decommissioned and sold for parts "

Perhaps, or perhaps not. :p

My gaming time is dictated to me, and sometimes I can't play for a month at a time. I hope the mechanics allow for that!
That's a fair comment: they could mean shipyard, market, outfitting etc gets sold. The parts that you have to pay upkeep for, until the basic FC remains. There may still be a way to shut the parts down to keep them but not pay income. Essentially fire the crew and turn it of.

Additionally, while we're used to run our ships alone, realistically, especially for capital ships, they can't be run alone, so to keep them operational you need a crew working on it.

Seems like the usual forum banter - we still know very little about FC's for another 6 days (apart from the fact that we actually are not being forced to buy one) and have some very vague comments made on an external website (that were quite interesting to read, if seemingly 'fluff' in actual detail) so 'doom' is declared by some, usually those who have been doing so for a long time, as Frontier will repossess your 5 billion Fleet Carrier the moment you log out of the game, or something...

Why decry the morsel we have been thrown without waiting a few days until we 'know' then ripping the throat out of the Devs as usual?
It's laughable 🤷‍♂️

Me, I'll wait till the betas have passed - I won't be able to buy for quite some time so am not particularly bothered as by the time i have the 5 billion I'l already know what to expect from other's experience, having carefully desalinated them as I have issues with salt :)

Seems like the usual forum banter - we still know very little about FC's for another 6 days (apart from the fact that we actually are not being forced to buy one) and have some very vague comments made on an external website (that were quite interesting to read, if seemingly 'fluff' in actual detail) so 'doom' is declared by some, usually those who have been doing so for a long time, as Frontier will repossess your 5 billion Fleet Carrier the moment you log out of the game, or something...

Why decry the morsel we have been thrown without waiting a few days until we 'know' then ripping the throat out of the Devs as usual?
It's laughable 🤷‍♂️

Me, I'll wait till the betas have passed - I won't be able to buy for quite some time so am not particularly bothered as by the time i have the 5 billion I'l already know what to expect from other's experience, having carefully desalinated them as I have issues with salt :)

The betas will be the fine tuning part for upkeep. By now the devs know what the flashpoint is :D

This was my 'axis' point too. In the beta, if prices are not 5 bill, I'll be able to assess the usefulness (or not) of a FC and plan from there. I do hope that some of the tat I've read here is just fluff...

The 5 bil is set- what I think the trigger point will be is upkeep- too low and its pointless, too high and only large groups / Bezos level VO miners will have them.

The 5 bil is set- what I think the trigger point will be is upkeep- too low and its pointless, too high and only large groups / Bezos level VO miners will have them.
I meant 5 billion in the beta, otherwise it would mean I couldn't buy one then to 'assess' it as I'm as poor as a church mouse with my richest account only a few million over a billion :)

How much did you pay for your car? Do you still have to pay something to keep it on the road, like fuel, maintenance and tax?
Good simile...
Better would have been the peanuts we pay for 'maintenance' in normal play - A couple of jumps doing a 'delivery round' in my Corvette can rack up a few 1,000's credits and carriers in their 'basic' configuration are 5 times more expensive (and if we go just by hull price, over 40 times more!).

Top Bottom