Fleet Carriers aren't for everyone. And I think that's OK

Fleet Carriers are the first major content update since December 2018. With a wait that long, everyone wants easy access to that content. That's understandable.

The trouble is - Fleet Carriers aren't meant for everyone. And I think that's OK.

Puts four pips to shields.

They aren't meant to be cheap. You're not supposed to get one within a day of playing. We have that scenario now, with players going from Sidewinder to Condy after a few hours at a Void Opal ring.

Carriers are for the Top 3% (according to Inara) - the Commanders who have, over time, built up billions of credits. Expecting a Carrier to cost just 2 A-rated Cutters is just......naive, at best. I thought the same way for a while, but look at the size of the things.

t40VBPAl.png

Commanders demanded something to spend their credits on. Some long-term objective to aim for. Credits were meaningless after a while and meant nothing. Some Commanders had mined everything, shot everything, robbed everyone, ganked everyone, gone to all the interesting places, scanned everything, Grade-5 maxed everything they wanted, obtained all the nice Powerplay toys, taken all the selfies they wanted, and had run out of things to do.

Well, here come the Carriers. You want a credit sink? Here it is. An objective to aim for? Here ya go. Think you've achieved everything? Think again. A long-term option for those who want one. An option which looks like its going to give players something to think about, and manage. An option to hire your own crew and build your own, dare I say it...Dominion? (minus shapeshifters). Loitering above my pads will be punishable by death, the fuel is 300CR per ton and if you say please I'll let you use my shipyards 😀.

A chance to set your own rules in your own instance of space.

And you know what? I like the sound of that.

It won't be for everyone, but its optional.

I can't help thinking that if Carriers were released as part of Beyond Chapter 4 (which was the original plan), perhaps the reaction to the 5B CR price tag wouldn't be so loud? With that plan, Commanders without billions of credits still had plenty of other content to dig into too. As if stands, I can understand why people who want that content, that carrier, on the day of release feel that the latest offering is far, far out of reach.

And yet, its not. Not really.

Pick a system which sells high-value goods (High-Tech, Refinery, Extraction), get the locals allied to your cause and get access to missions galore paying millions of credits. Use passive power-play effects (hello Aisling Duval) to get extra coin.

Bored hauling goods? Try passenger missions. No? What about system-state trading? Goods like Polymers can sell for millions of credits if you know where to look.

Nope? OK, go Mining. Don't like shooting rocks? What about exploring? No? Shoot Skimmers. Shoot Pirates. Shoot....whatever. Do whatever. But, try to have fun doing it. Its a game. And remember, Carriers are optional.

There are plenty of ways to make credits in this game now. I say that as someone who started on Xbox Early Access around four (?) years ago. Back then, becoming allied to a faction just meant that the station turned green in your HUD and there was no financial reward for that. Yay?

What I'm I saying? I'm saying that Fleet Carriers aren't meant for everyone. And I think that's OK. They're the premier item a player can own and are I feel are priced accordingly.

And there's nothing stopping non-Carrier owners from landing at one. Or even shooting at one. Just saying. :)

Last edited:
I agree, if you want one great, if not great.
Those who have one should have to maintain it.. simples

Which is why the carrier should have remained a squadron asset. Allowing all squadron members to contribute to up keep

Why are fleet carriers not meant for me? I paid for the base game. I paid for Horizons. Why should I therefore not get something I have already paid for them to develop?

Player agency. It's only not for you if you decide it isn't.

It has never been advertised as an achievement.

So null point there i am afraid.

You stated it is not meant for me. Why?

Because i dont want to mine for hours on end?

Because i dont want to play goldrush credit bonanza?

Because i am a fool?

As i say, i am invested in this game, so why do i not deserve a fleet carrier as you suggest in you original post?

so why do i not deserve a fleet carrier

Because they cost 5 billion credits and you don't have 5 billion credits.

Same reason you don't deserve a rank locked ship if you haven't increased rank to the required level.

Same reason you don't deserve a triple elite decal if you haven't gotten elite in trade/exploration/combat.

Same reason you don't deserve a PP module if you haven't waited a month and earned the merits.

None of those are going to be obtained by everyone. They are not meant for everyone. That does not mean everyone can't do them if they want.

Because they cost 5 billion credits and you don't have 5 billion credits.

None of those are going to be obtained by everyone. They are not meant for everyone. That does not mean everyone can't do them if they want.

If that is the op's reason, then they need to rewrite this entire thread, or delete it.

Deserve is not Afford.

Op states they are not meant for me, I asked him why he thinks they are not meant for me. Pretty simple question.

Last edited:
It has never been advertised as an achievement.

So null point there i am afraid.

You stated it is not meant for me. Why?

Because i dont want to mine for hours on end?

Because i dont want to play goldrush credit bonanza?

Because i am a fool?

As i say, i am invested in this game, so why do i not deserve a fleet carrier as you suggest in you original post?

Investment <> Achievement.

I didn't want to play Diabio III for hours on end to get to Level 70, but I did and I had fun.

I didn't want to play Forza 7 for some goldrush credit bonanza, but I did and I had fun.

I'm not a fool either. I don't expect developers to hand over all content in games because I brought their game. And the last time I checked, Carriers are a free addition to the game, not paid DLC. You aren't giving Frontier a penny extra for the content their adding, none of us are.

Last edited:
So far this has gone better than I expected.

You do 'deserve' one if you insist on that language, Id say 'have access to' but there you go. All you have to do is pay for one, its not even unlocked behind a rank or any kind of playstyle like the Engineers. Blaze your own trail then buy one.

Which is why the carrier should have remained a squadron asset. Allowing all squadron members to contribute to up keep

Or alternatively, forcing all players to join a squadron and then run tasks for someone else instead of being allowed to play their own game and being forced to provide materials to go somewhere they might not even want to go. You still can have a Squadron FC, nobody says you can't.

Where is the problem? Buy one for yourself, don't buy one for yourself, group up and buy one or don't group up and buy one, use them or don't use them

may be language, intended (designed by fdev) to be probably bought by only 3% of players as an end game product for long long term game gets translated as 'deserve'....

Fleet Carriers are the first major content update since December 2018. With a wait that long, everyone wants easy access to that content. That's understandable.

The trouble is - Fleet Carriers aren't meant for everyone. And I think that's OK.

Puts four pips to shields.

They aren't meant to be cheap. You're not supposed to get one within a day of playing. We have that scenario now, with players going from Sidewinder to Condy after a few hours at a Void Opal ring.

Carriers are for the Top 3% (according to Inara) - the Commanders who have, over time, built up billions of credits. Expecting a Carrier to cost just 2 A-rated Cutters to just......naive, at best. I thought the same way for a while, but look at the size of the things.

t40VBPAl.png

Commanders demanded something to spend their credits on. Some long-term objective to aim for. Credits were meaningless after a while and meant nothing. Some Commanders had mined everything, shot everything, robbed everyone, ganked everyone, gone to all the interesting places, scanned everything, Grade-5 maxed everything they wanted, obtained all the nice Powerplay toys, taken all the selfies they wanted, and had run out of things to do.

Well, here come the Carriers. You want a credit sink? Here it is. An objective to aim for? Here ya go. Think you've achieved everything? Think again. A long-term option for those who want one. An option which looks like its going to give players something to think about, and manage. An option to hire your own crew and build your own, dare I say it...Dominion? (minus shapeshifters). Loitering above my pads will be punishable by death, the fuel is 300CR per ton and if you say please I'll let you use my shipyards 😀.

A chance to set your own rules in your own instance of space.

And you know what? I like the sound of that.

It won't be for everyone, but its optional.

I can't help thinking that if Carriers were released as part of Beyond Chapter 4 (which was the original plan), perhaps the reaction to the 5B CR price tag wouldn't be so loud? With that plan, Commanders without billions of credits still had plenty of other content to dig into too. As if stands, I can understand why people who want that content, that carrier, on the day of release feel that the latest offering is far, far out of reach.

And yet, its not. Not really.

Pick a system which sells high-value goods (High-Tech, Refinery, Extraction), get the locals allied to your cause and get access to missions galore paying millions of credits. Use passive power-play effects (hello Aisling Duval) to get extra coin.

Bored hauling goods? Try passenger missions. No? What about system-state trading? Goods like Polymers can sell for millions of credits if you know where to look.

Nope? OK, go Mining. Don't like shooting rocks? What about exploring? No? Shoot Skimmers. Shoot Pirates. Shoot....whatever. Do whatever. But, try to have fun doing it. Its a game. And remember, Carriers are optional.

There are plenty of ways to make credits in this game now. I say that as someone who started on Xbox Early Access around four (?) years ago. Back then, becoming allied to a faction just meant that the station turned green in your HUD and there was no financial reward for that. Yay?

What I'm I saying? I'm saying that Fleet Carriers aren't meant for everyone. And I think that's OK. They're the premier item a player can own and are I feel are priced accordingly.

And there's nothing stopping non-Carrier owners from landing at one. Or even shooting at one. Just saying. :)

For how I play a carrier would be a millstone around my neck. For the charming anarchist about town being fancy free is the life!

But it will likely enhance the galaxy I play in and hopefully provide opportunities I cannot currently foresee. Looking forward to that immensely.

If that is the op's reason, then they need to rewrite this entire thread, or delete it.

Deserve is not Afford.

Op states they are not meant for me, I asked him why he thinks they are not meant for me. Pretty simple question.

What do you think should happen in game for a player to get a fleet carrier?

Should everything in game that hasn't been attained by 100% of the people who have played the game be removed from the game, or just handed out upon login, to make sure everyone has gotten what they deserve?

Top Bottom