Fleet Carriers aren't for everyone. And I think that's OK

Yeah no? Put me on ingore if you wish but I'm not rewriting/deleting anything.

Why would I do that? We are just having a discussion on a forum, its nothing personal.

I merely disagree with the terminology of your post, and and asking you to clarify your position.

You do not have to answer, and may just accept my option 3. That is your right.

But I am coming from the point that I could easily make the credits for a FC if I really wanted too. Credits are irrelevant. What I am asking is why you think a FC is not meant for me. Is it purely you mean they are not meant for me because I do not have the credits at this time? That is a strange thing to say if so. Did you mean to say people should not expect to buy a FC without some commitment to earning the credits in game?

Why would I do that? We are just having a discussion on a forum, its nothing personal.

I merely disagree with the terminology of your post, and and asking you to clarify your position.

You do not have to answer, and may just accept my option 3. That is your right.

But I am coming from the point that I could easily make the credits for a FC if I really wanted too. Credits are irrelevant. What I am asking is why you think a FC is not meant for me. Is it purely you mean they are not meant for me because I do not have the credits at this time? That is a strange thing to say if so. Did you mean to say people should not expect to buy a FC without some commitment to earning the credits in game?

Oh for christs sake, you are about the only person who read it that way. It's been clarified. No need to keep beating that horse. It's already dead.

Oh for christs sake, you are about the only person who read it that way. It's been clarified. No need to keep beating that horse. It's already dead.
Not sure what the point of this post is?

It has not been clarified.

And I may like beating dead horses. It is certainly much better than beating live ones anyhow.

Which is why I explained how you can join the Top 3%. While playing the game and having fun. :)

I've been playing the game since gpp on xbox 2600 hrs, the only thing i haven't done to any meaningful extent is combat it just doesn't click with me in this format for some reason, in that time i've amassed 3,000,000,000 total assets most of which is tied up in outfitting, i don't grind my face off on every new gold rush that comes along and too long doing any one task is very unappealing to me. Frontier also has a habit of "correcting" forms of gameplay they don't agree with, for example I was going to give npc piracy a try as it was something i've never done in my time in elite so i started doing some research into it only to find out that LTDs have been removed from npc cargo lists, so while i can still do it i just wont make any meaningful amount of money doing it. Remember long range smuggling missions? Also gone because the coding allowed you to smuggle biowaste from robigo/sothis for millions at a time, so rather than fix it they just killed it. There are more examples but you've been around long enough to know of them. Blaze your own trail, as long as it conforms to our idea of gameplay seems to be the theme.

I don't begrudge people having the money to buy fleet carriers, i begrudge fdev spending 2 years of development time on something that only 3% of the player base can access. I don't buy the "they're meant to be endgame content" argument because supposedly the game is still in development and we're due a major game changing update at the end of this year, so why would you put in end game content if your game is still in open development and there's going to be a new era right around the corner?

If you want one then get one and if you dont then dont.

No one is stopping you.
Please read again with a different comprehension of what I wrote.

I am asking why they are not meant for me, not whether I should, or should not, get one.

Are you saying I can not ask that question on a public forum, in a post that stated that they are not meant for me in its opening topic?

Im not saying anything of the sort but im certainly thinking you come across as a bit of a melt.
Melt :)

I do die a lot in game in pvp so this could be an appropiate title.

Is it awarded because I won't bow down and be quiet when I disagree with something on the forum and instead question it? I thought that was the whole point of this place.

That's like saying I should have been given a Cutter because I paid for the game.

Its an achievement. Its meant to be earned. Every game has them.

I agree with this 100% & I'm very unlikely to ever own a FC...or Corvette, for that matter! Mind you, I'm of the opinion that Frontier should have built meaningful longevity & progression into our 'bread & butter' ships (& E-A upgrades too) so that most casual players never manage to get beyond a Cobra III - which btw, is a perfectly adequate ship to play the game in almost any playstyle one wishes; further, most other players would never get out of the A-rated medium ships either, which would patently irk many here! In my ED universe, one does not get to own all ships by simply dipping one's toes into the game & I'd make a mandatory limit of three ships....deal with it! I really like the idea of a game world that makes one truly earn advancement - you're soooo lucky I'm not running this show! 😁

Additionally, it is incongruous for someone partaking in courier missions to become one of the very few owners (out of trillions of individuals in our ED version of the Milky Way) of the statistically exceedingly rare & presumably prohibitively expensive starships - just check in supercruise the next time you're in any large population system, count the ships in the vicinity & then do the maths - it is the equivalent of Amazon van drivers becoming multi-millionaires for delivering cheap crap. Actually, "incongruous" doesn't cut it at all...'more like irreconcilable! If it were that easy there would be billions of ships in any such system & millions going about their business at any one time - like a celestial M25 (not right now, of course!😷).

Your fallacy starts were you set "not everyone" as equivalent to "not me". Maybe you should start to ask yourself why you are not everyone. Or whether you want to be everyone in the first place (I for one certainly wouldn't)...
Well I would not have the temerity to say I am everyone. I do not speak on their behalf. I do speak on my behalf, and as I am the one that read the post, and therefore it is certainly addressed to me as one of the recipients, I thought I should ask. It is certainly therefore not a fallacy.

The only new substantial content drop in a year is for 3% of the players. That's kind of weird.

I think this is really an effort to build squads around these mobile bases and create a path for "emergent content".

What I am most curious about with this thinking is the data around collaborative play in this game right now.

Look at the squads list, I dare you. The vast majority of squads listed are 3 people or less.

Look at PMFs. They are dotted all over the bubble, but you have no way of knowing if they are alive or dead from within the game.

If FCs are actually visible within Open, we are going to see a ton of these vanity prizes in popular systems, and will have no way of knowing if the owning player is active or not. Weird.

Suppose they are used as intended as mobile markets. You instantly create a cash-rich class of players with passive income streams. Imagine what Borann will look like. Weird.

Unless there is some kind of balance developed in money making endeavors (combat, passengers, mining, trade, exploration, piracy, smuggling), these things will skew game play since they have maintenance fees in favor of cash dense game play. Weird.

I fired up ME3 Multiplayer last night with some friends. Between killing reapers and Cerebrus, the topic of Fleet Carriers came up. We were just flat out mystified at the thinking behind this FDEV resource allocation and the rate of productivity from them. Weird.

Yeah. Outside of some FOMO, I really just don't care about Fleet Carriers anymore. I was hyped when it was a squadron based thing. Now it's just.. whatever. 5 billion? Taxes? That's not the kind of player that I am (or was, I guess. Been a while).

I am one of those top 3% and I got my 6.2 BN assets already years ago.
The thing is if there is some "maintenance" tick that prevents me from taking a 1-2 year break attached to the carriers I simply won't get one.
Anything that passively erodes your progress while you don't play as a gameplay mechanic is squarely in the realm of skeezy microtransactions of asian gatcha games and EA sports pay to gamble packs.

I went after my number (5bn actually) as a personal goal just to set a goal for myself in 2017. The money is just a milestone goal (the extra after was passively gained).

If the carriers are "only for the 3%" well I don't even want them as far as "off line progress erosion" is concerned.

I never got an AI copilot even though I'd love one because of the permanent debuff they have to your earning and if I get one I want to keep one as an permanent part of my ship/crew. I'd level them up just for fun.

Disclosure, I only learned about the carriers today and don't know if they removed the % drain on earning for spare pilots.

Fixed a grammatical stroke.
Also my Inara is 33638.

I do love ED though - have my criticisms, but it has done far more right that wrong. /closed beta backer - and all that implies.

Last edited:
What I'm I saying? I'm saying that Fleet Carriers aren't meant for everyone. And I think that's OK. They're the premier item a player can own and are I feel are priced accordingly.
Agree. It isn't for everybody. I was just hoping it would be for me, but it isn't. Too steep price (for me), but I think it's priced right though, as a game thingy. And since I think it's too much for me, I think it maybe should be priced higher. Maybe 10-15 billion.

It's the upkeep that's the big issue, I think, making it something you have to constantly care for and log in and maintain. It's fine, but not my thing.

In other words, nothing to see here. Nothing new to the game for another 9+ months. New Era at the end of the year? Depends on what it is, and when it is. Maybe something to try out during next wave of the quarantines in winter.

Maybe FC's should of been behind a story with missions to earn parts for the ship or what they originally visioned squad/community based ships instead of just pleasing some e-peen credit hoarders. Still 2 months away but major changes won't happen it seems from ED's history.

You aren't giving Frontier a penny extra for the content their adding, none of us are.
Not exactly true. Last year I bought many different paintjobs and kits and such with the intent to support Frontier in their development. I saw it as me being a good guy wanting more and making sure they were backed up. What a sucker I am! LOL. Haven't bought any more paintjobs or anything since last year though, since there's not much new game play. I spend my money and time now on other games. When Next Era comes out, maybe it'll be worth the wait.

Yes, Finally. Someone else that read it correctly.

It is NEXT era, and not NEW era as many seem to write.

Two very different meanings.
Oh. I never thought of it. I think I wrote New Era in another thread. Sry. :)

As long as we don't write New Ear... :D

Top Bottom