Not a good move Frontier - Fleet Carrier upkeep

It would be reasonably expected that any debt would be deducted from any return due to Carrier decommissioning - however, Stephen's tweet indicated that the debt required was "huge" - so there might not be that much left....

I don't subscribe to the notion that Frontier would choose to punish players as severely as to impose a total loss on decommissiooning.
You're speculating that there might not be much left of 5 BILLION credits? Hahaha! 🤭

Why is everyone assuming upkeep will only be relevant to those not logged into the game? You may very well still be actively playing the game and somehow manage to surpass this "debt threshold" persistently enough to cause whatever power it is in charge to commandeer your FC and sell it off to cover the debt. If covering the costs of the FC turns out to be an actual challenge, compounding even more as you add more functions to the FC, with a legitimate risk of losing it all to mismanagement, well that there sounds like some fun to me.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
But if it's not being used there is no wear and tear!
I don't have to pay wear and tear for a ship parked up next to a sun for 8 months while I'm not playing why would it be different for a Carrier?
.... because it's persistent and does not leave the game when the owner does, I expect.

Yeah to be fair though, this does smack of an MMO mechanic, and MMO mechanics generally do go that way.

Now I'm not saying they should dial down depth in an end game mechanic to appeal to a casual audience that it's not really targeted towards, but MMO-style mechanics do present an often punishing situation for casuals, so for them something like this is a valid concern.

It could very well be a case of FC just not being something casual players of Elite can do.

Exactly - those expecting 90% are speculating just as much as those expecting total loss.

Most of the posts I've seen where people are pointing out that it could be 90% are to emphasise that we could assume anything, rather than stating they actually expect it to be 90%.

I suspect FD deliberately drip-feed information now so that they can sit back and watch the griping. And if they did, I certainly wouldn't blame them. :)

Most of the posts I've seen where people are pointing out that it could be 90% are to emphasise that we could assume anything, rather than stating they actually expect it to be 90%.

I suspect FD deliberately drip-feed information now so that they can sit back and watch the griping. And if they did, I certainly wouldn't blame them. :)
This CMDR gets it :love:
"FDev, we want info on the next update, some small details will do"
"Here you go, and the full details will come next week"
"OMG if i interpret these small details in the worst possible way, the outcome is terrible. I can't wait until next week for the full info, i need it now"
🍿

Top Bottom