Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

That information is not available in the logs. If that changes then I can certainly add it, but it's out of my hands until then.
Thank you, I will investigate as much as possible on my own, and report what I find about it.

for example, it would be very interesting in mining, the warning of the percentages of content in asteroids
"event":"ProspectedAsteroid",
"Materials":[ { "Name":"Bromellite", "Name_Localised":"Bromellita", "Proportion":12.467771 }
{ "Name":"LowTemperatureDiamond", "Name_Localised":"Diamante de baja temperatura", "Proportion":14.557585 }

I'll investigate all this on my own

Thank you, I will investigate as much as possible on my own, and report what I find about it.

for example, it would be very interesting in mining, the warning of the percentages of content in asteroids
"event":"ProspectedAsteroid",
"Materials":[ { "Name":"Bromellite", "Name_Localised":"Bromellita", "Proportion":12.467771 }
{ "Name":"LowTemperatureDiamond", "Name_Localised":"Diamante de baja temperatura", "Proportion":14.557585 }

I'll investigate all this on my own
Prospecting checks are something that has come up before and I'm interested in adding them, but that's not especially useful if you're trying to find mining sites that you haven't already visited.

I would like to use it with the FCs to facilitate the mining of Tritium:
  • some kind of warning on gas giants with rings that are candidates for Tritium
  • confirmation of the presence of Tritium in the ring (after surface scan)
  • Other interesting deposits: Voids Opals and LT Diamonds
That information is not available in the logs. If that changes then I can certainly add it, but it's out of my hands until then.
The type and number of hotspots is logged on scan, but the log doesn't include location or size. For example, here's a ring scan from Borann in the live game:
Code:
{ "timestamp":"2020-05-13T02:22:23Z", "event":"SAASignalsFound", "BodyName":"Borann A 2 B Ring", "SystemAddress":5070611621289, "BodyID":22, "Signals":[ { "Type":"Bromellite", "Count":4 }, { "Type":"Alexandrite", "Count":6 }, { "Type":"Grandidierite", "Count":3 }, { "Type":"LowTemperatureDiamond", "Type_Localised":"Low Temperature Diamonds", "Count":10 }, { "Type":"Opal", "Type_Localised":"Void Opal", "Count":2 } ] }
And one from the current beta that contains tritium:
Code:
{ "timestamp":"2020-05-13T23:02:22Z", "event":"SAASignalsFound", "BodyName":"HIP 13476 13 A Ring", "SystemAddress":732031846747, "BodyID":72, "Signals":[ { "Type":"Alexandrite", "Count":4 }, { "Type":"Grandidierite", "Count":2 }, { "Type":"Opal", "Type_Localised":"Void Opal", "Count":2 }, { "Type":"LowTemperatureDiamond", "Type_Localised":"Low Temperature Diamonds", "Count":4 }, { "Type":"Tritium", "Count":7 }, { "Type":"Bromellite", "Count":4 } ] }

The type and number of hotspots is logged on scan, but the log doesn't include location or size. For example, here's a ring scan from Borann in the live game:
Code:
{ "timestamp":"2020-05-13T02:22:23Z", "event":"SAASignalsFound", "BodyName":"Borann A 2 B Ring", "SystemAddress":5070611621289, "BodyID":22, "Signals":[ { "Type":"Bromellite", "Count":4 }, { "Type":"Alexandrite", "Count":6 }, { "Type":"Grandidierite", "Count":3 }, { "Type":"LowTemperatureDiamond", "Type_Localised":"Low Temperature Diamonds", "Count":10 }, { "Type":"Opal", "Type_Localised":"Void Opal", "Count":2 } ] }
And one from the current beta that contains tritium:
Code:
{ "timestamp":"2020-05-13T23:02:22Z", "event":"SAASignalsFound", "BodyName":"HIP 13476 13 A Ring", "SystemAddress":732031846747, "BodyID":72, "Signals":[ { "Type":"Alexandrite", "Count":4 }, { "Type":"Grandidierite", "Count":2 }, { "Type":"Opal", "Type_Localised":"Void Opal", "Count":2 }, { "Type":"LowTemperatureDiamond", "Type_Localised":"Low Temperature Diamonds", "Count":4 }, { "Type":"Tritium", "Count":7 }, { "Type":"Bromellite", "Count":4 } ] }
Is repeating information that you just got from a detailed scan actually useful though? You're already there.

Is repeating information that you just got from a detailed scan actually useful though? You're already there.
Maybe, maybe not. Everything that EDO alerts on is information that you already have, somewhere. The tool just keeps you from missing stuff you care about through inattention, or makes it more convenient than constantly digging into other screens to see if what you're looking for is there.

I expect that when I head out with a carrier, for example, I'll be doing a lot of ring-scanning to see if I can find good refueling spots. So something that pings me whenever I find a ring with 2 or more tritium hotspots might be just the ticket. If I get that alert, I'm probably going to pay more attention to where all the spots are. And depending on how the research shakes out, we may find that tritium yields are meaningfully affected by ring density and other factors that one could check for, too.

Now, I'll grant you, it would be FAR more useful if the journal logged the coordinates and radius of each of the hotspots. Then the tool could automatically detect interesting overlaps. But I'll take what I can get.

Maybe, maybe not. Everything that EDO alerts on is information that you already have, somewhere. The tool just keeps you from missing stuff you care about through inattention, or makes it more convenient than constantly digging into other screens to see if what you're looking for is there.

I expect that when I head out with a carrier, for example, I'll be doing a lot of ring-scanning to see if I can find good refueling spots. So something that pings me whenever I find a ring with 2 or more tritium hotspots might be just the ticket. If I get that alert, I'm probably going to pay more attention to where all the spots are. And depending on how the research shakes out, we may find that tritium yields are meaningfully affected by ring density and other factors that one could check for, too.

Now, I'll grant you, it would be FAR more useful if the journal logged the coordinates and radius of each of the hotspots. Then the tool could automatically detect interesting overlaps. But I'll take what I can get.
Yeah that's fair. It shouldn't be a difficult thing to add either. Consider it "on the list" for the rewrite, which will hopefully include some other features focused on mining as well.

This sounded interesting, another explorer told me about this so i could track shepard moons i may of come across.

Trying to check my data however causes problems.
Error occurs, interesting system , actually its two systems share the same name.
Cocoon nebula, has the system ,, also 120 lyrs or so eastward another 2Mass system.

2Mass have had a few problems i've come across with duplicate system name but different systems.

Edsm has problems, it does list both systems with different coords but does not have the correct system data.

i'm wondering if this is also causing a problem with Observatory.
2MASS J21532669+4714025

Odd also that both of the systems were not visited by myself, although i have been to the main one before. long ago
Jumped out there just earlier to check on both systems for oddities.

View attachment 171870
Any chance I can get a copy of the journal file that caused this error? I have a suspicion about where it's happening, but would like to be absolutely sure instead of trying a speculative fix.

Just a quick comment on something I noted from the speech function, for objects with a primary designation in the double digits it says the two digits separately, for instance a gas giant I just scanned with wide rings was the eleventh planet but was pronounced as "one one" rather than "eleven"

Just a quick comment on something I noted from the speech function, for objects with a primary designation in the double digits it says the two digits separately, for instance a gas giant I just scanned with wide rings was the eleventh planet but was pronounced as "one one" rather than "eleven"
I'll add it as an issue on github, but won't rush out another release just for this. Thanks!

New release!

v0.5.20.140 - Overlay Support and more

Big thanks to DeadMor0z for the headline feature of this release. Elite Observatory can now use EDMCOverlay to display notifications! They look pretty slick.
Observatory Notification Via Overlay
Also, while it wasn't in this release per sé, some new values are available for custom criteria (and have been since v0.5.20.067 in March), but are now documented. These values are ParentType, AtmosphereType, and AtmosphereComposition. See the custom criteria documentation for details.
Other fixes in this release:

Last edited:
Hello
Vithigar!

I'm really looking forward to the version elite prospector.
If you have a prototype, I would love to help you test it/
It's a long way off. I want to do a complete rewrite to clean up the code and switch to some a more recent framework, and will be holding off on implementing any major new features until then. I'm reluctant to give an estimate, but it will probably be months, not weeks.

So with the new update, what do I need to do to get the overlay to actually show up? I have EDMC 3.50, I downloaded and installed the overlay plugin, restarted EDMC, I did a few jumps that triggered Elite Observatory to report my custom criteria Landable with Exosphere, and I got the audio alert, but no overlay that I could tell, so now what?

So with the new update, what do I need to do to get the overlay to actually show up? I have EDMC 3.50, I downloaded and installed the overlay plugin, restarted EDMC, I did a few jumps that triggered Elite Observatory to report my custom criteria Landable with Exosphere, and I got the audio alert, but no overlay that I could tell, so now what?
Do you have notifications enabled in Elite Observatory? You need to have them turned on, then the options for configuring the overlay should appear. Enabling the overlay should suppress the normal notification popup, so you won't see both.

If you do have it enabled, then I'll have to take a closer look when I'm finished work later this evening.

Do you have notifications enabled in Elite Observatory? You need to have them turned on, then the options for configuring the overlay should appear. Enabling the overlay should suppress the normal notification popup, so you won't see both.

If you do have it enabled, then I'll have to take a closer look when I'm finished work later this evening.
Just looked at it, and enabled notifications and saw the overlay options. Did a few test jumps and got the voice notifications, but still no overlay popup. Closed and reopened both EDMC and EO. I am running Elite in Windowed Borderless mode. I am also using the EDJP popup overlay for the FSS, so not sure if there is a conflict. I turned off the EDJP overlay, and will try again when I get a few minutes.

I suppose I should also test and see if the normal popup notifications work, because I have never used those.

Just looked at it, and enabled notifications and saw the overlay options. Did a few test jumps and got the voice notifications, but still no overlay popup. Closed and reopened both EDMC and EO. I am running Elite in Windowed Borderless mode. I am also using the EDJP popup overlay for the FSS, so not sure if there is a conflict. I turned off the EDJP overlay, and will try again when I get a few minutes.

I suppose I should also test and see if the normal popup notifications work, because I have never used those.
Just checking the "use edoverlay" box should display a test/sample overlay message. (edit: if your Elite Dangerous window is visible)

Last edited:
Ok. When I enabled Notifications, I got the notifications enabled popup, but no overlay. In the observatory logs, I have the folloing...

Overlay> EDOverlay plugin not listening. Aborting.

So it looks like the issue is something there, and not with EO

Top Bottom