Upcoming update

Lets be real, they delayed FCs twice(ended up being a flop anyways). Then announced a ice planet overhaul which apparently went awol. So the early 2021 delay date seems like a joke at the moment. I bet it gets delayed again, considering their recent track record. No wonder FD keep quiet about future updates, they couldn't organise a drink up in a brewery.

Last edited:
Who wants to bet that it's not going to drop before Q2 2021?

They’re aiming for Q1, and have told the stock market that:

We had originally planned for the Elite Dangerous major update to release in December 2020, but, in the context of the current Covid-19 environment, we have now set a Q1 2021 release date. We do not believe this short delay will materially affect revenue in FY21.

Pushing to Q2+ would put them into a new financial year, and rustle investor underwear a lot more.

But no bets from me during the covidmageddon ;)

Lets be real, they delayed FCs twice(ended up being a flop anyways). Then announced a ice planet overhaul which apparently went awol. So the early 2021 delay date seems like a joke at the moment. I bet it gets delayed again, considering their recent track record. No wonder FD keep quiet about future updates, they couldn't organise a up in a brewery.

My fear is they have nearly nothing to talk about.

They promised the shareholders WHEN they would release, not WHAT. Neither have they told us.
So they can (and most likely will, given their track record) cut out features.

Yes and no. They have shaped stock market expectations towards the upper end. IE:

Frontier is developing a major new paid-for release for the iconic space simulation which will dramatically expand gameplay and mark the beginning of a new era for Elite Dangerous. This will be characterised by significant new features to appeal to existing commanders, whilst being specifically designed to be a compelling, attractive and welcoming entry point for new players. Targeted for launch at the end of 2020, this major new release on multiple platforms will fall into financial year 2021 (the 12 months ending 31 May 2021)

So sure they'll doubtless juggle features all the way down the line. But they'll still want to hit those broad beats (for reasons cited below).

---

My fear is they have nearly nothing to talk about.

I don't get this fear. We've got reasonable grounds for believing they have a sizeable bunch of devs dedicated to ED, and that most of them are on the DLC. Those guys have been doing something since Aug 2018... (and especially since early 2019, when they scaled up to 'the majority' working on the project).

• As a listed company, FDev's statements about the PDLC being 'major' and aimed at sustaining the franchise have been posted on regulatory information services such as RNS. This means they are bound by the AIM rules to accurately depict company behaviours which are 'price sensitive' and can impact performance expectations. If they were to state such things while in reality having skeletal staffing dedicated to the DLC they would be open to reputational loss, share price impacts, and potentially fines if/when such information comes to light.
  • FDev's brokers (although not to be taken without a healthy dose of salt) signal that the PDLC is significant and that ED has preferential staffing, in line with FDev's claims.
  • FDev have claimed consistently that ED is well staffed ([1],[2],[3],[4]), despite the continuation of their broader franchising plans, and the community visit provides multiple lines of corroboration.
  • FDev's LEP sales referenced 'Legs' & 'Atmos' PDLCs at the point of sale and in the attached marketing. They have essentially pre-sold them and will be aware of this obligation (and the negative PR etc if they were ultimately to fail to attempt them).
  • The purported 'leak', while of unprovable provenance, has hit all of its predictions to date, and suggests a sizeable Legs PDLC.
  • The end of the Seasonal PDLC system after 2.4, and corresponding move to an 'all in one' PDLC, provide a reasonable explanation for FDev's diminishing output in the interim.

I don't get this fear. We've got reasonable grounds for believing they have a sizeable bunch of devs dedicated to ED, and that most of them are on the DLC. Those guys have been doing something since Aug 2018... (and especially since early 2019, when they scaled up to 'the majority' working on the project).
If they had something to hype they would likely have done so already.

If they had something to hype they would likely have done so already.

Lol, it's such a pants argument Nav.

They didn't show any Horizons stuff 9 months before launch, and weirdly enough, they still had something to deliver. (We can argue about the quality / quantity, but the point remains ;))

FDev manage a hype cycle for their marketing. Loads of games companies do. For the simple reason that it snowballs public and fan attention to be at its largest nearest launch. (Or at least that's the intent). It's a very simple, non-controversial, explanation.

Are you genuinely arguing that the lack of sneak peaks at this point means they have no meaningful work done on the DLC?

EDIT:

Just as a demonstration, for major launches:

Horizons Teaser: 5th August 2015
Horizons Launch: 15th December 2015
Hype Cycle: Approx 4 months.

Beyond Reveals: 9th October 2017
Beyond Launch: 27th February 2018
Hype Cycle: Approx 5 months.

FDev reckon they're going to stick with their original hype schedule. Which would mean: "some time in summer 2020, after the Fleet Carriers update".

Which would have been about 4 / 5 months before the Q4 launch target, most likely ;)

So if they haven't shown anything by the end of Q3, you can legitimately get your doom on. Guess we'll see.

I think given all we know about resourcing and the corporate side that it's odds on they'll have something to show personally. (Although given the pushed launch date, I'm expecting an extended 'fan interest only' run of stupidly teaser-y 'reveals' at first ;))

Last edited:

While I agree they need to do that and will at some point. The lack of polishing of the base game on many minor point, discussed over and over by the community , makes me fear alot. Maybe new era is game changing in many point and they dont want to balance things that are bound to change or dissapear.

I Was great fan of FD 2 years ago. An I know we are not paying for anything at the moment, but sometime it feels like this game is not loved.
When i see game like terraria , subnautica, borderlands, even no man sky , seems to have more communications, dev and QoL improvement on a regular basis.
I dont know the dev team size ect, and maybe development is really hard on elite. I'm starting to lose faith.

Things like ship balance , module storage , mission balance , Ui improvement.

This game have amazing "base" but feel unpolished in many way , lack of depth on many aspect, things could be 10 time more fun. Like the mysterious stranger missions. The whole concept is amazing , maybe it's hiding something we have not discovered yet , but srly atm you'r so disapointed when doing theses.

Both Mining and exploration overall were fine for me , even if some complained about FSS , and some complained mining being to OP , these were IMO really nice addition. But the fact that they come with so many bug, unbalanced , and the bases missions are still such a mess. With FD telling us nearly nothing about their plan...
"Mining was greatly expanded with new features and modules by Elite Dangerous: Beyond Chapter Four (3.3), which was released on December 11, 2018. " IS the last update of this kind.
It's been 1 year , and now we got FC , my feelings are not good toward them, but it's just personal. But again as the rest of elite , FC feels like they are totaly unfinished , and like 3 or 4 vision were opposing on what they should do during the dev. Maybe it is the problem,I dont know.

You know what I love elite , and I play on a regular basis, love many aspect of it, but somehow they are often counterbalanced by small annoying unpolished details.
(LIKE THESE SLAUGHTER WING MISSION GIVING MORE REWARD FOR LESS SHIP KILLED THAN SOME SOLO MISSION.)

Lol, it's such a pants argument Nav.

They didn't show any Horizons stuff 9 months before launch, and weirdly enough, they still had something to deliver. (We can argue about the quality / quantity, but the point remains ;))

FDev manage a hype cycle for their marketing. Loads of games companies do. For the simple reason that it snowballs public and fan attention to be at its largest nearest launch. (Or at least that's the intent). It's a very simple, non-controversial, explanation.

Are you genuinely arguing that the lack of sneak peaks at this point means they have no meaningful work done on the DLC?

EDIT:

Just as a demonstration, for major launches:

Horizons Teaser: 5th August 2015
Horizons Launch: 15th December 2015
Hype Cycle: Approx 4 months.

Beyond Reveals: 9th October 2017
Beyond Launch: 27th February 2018
Hype Cycle: Approx 5 months.
Didn't we know way earlier what Horizons would initially land with? Planetary Landings. New Era is just leaks and speculation.

So many complaints! I'm just glad the Devs are working on this game and constantly making it better and better!

I think we do this because the game is good at some point and we love it. It's more to improve it in some way rather than just complain , even if I admit i'm not being helpfull/constructive with some of my comment. Thanks for remind me that =)

Didn't we know way earlier what Horizons would initially land with? Planetary Landings. New Era is just leaks and speculation.

They did reveal the target for the first expansion, but it was way back in the halcyon days of pre-launch (April 2013), when they were a ton more chatty (and chatting about the roadmap was part of the launch hype cycle...)

Planetary Landings Aimed For 'Within a Year of Release' & Hit:

The most notable and anticipated of these is of course seamless planetary landings. Whilst it wouldn’t be sharing anything new with you to confirm this feature post-launch, I can confirm that we hope to implement it within a year of release, if possible:
Sandy: Definitely yes. Hopefully (barring issues) within the first year post-release

It was a bit buried even then though, in a forum Q&A. To the extent that it wasn’t widely known post-launch, and people were infamously betting on reddit that they’d eat a sock if the DLC was Plandings ;)

Given we’re in a post-launch state, and given how burned they got by the Horizons roadmap...

Drunken gossip from 2018:
Horizons having the roadmap publicly laid out for the entire expansion (major features at least) meant they were locked in to specific promised feature set with no wriggle-room for deviation if they thought of better/more important things along the way, or certain features turned out to be not as fun as expected, etc.
So this time they're completing the entire mega-update in advance and not telling anyone what's in it until they're absolutely sure about what is going to be delivered.
EDIT: This is what I gleaned from talking to a very drunk Sandro Sammarco (nice chap) at Lavecon the other year.

...It’s not that surprising that they’re not revealing the target features this time ;)

Last edited:
They did reveal the target for first expansion, but it was way back in the halcyon days of pre-launch (April 2013), when they were a ton more chatty (and chatting about the roadmap was part of the launch hype cycle...)

Planetary Landings Aimed For 'Within a Year of Release' & Hit:

It was a bit buried even then though, in a forum Q&A. To the extent that it wasn’t widely known post-launch, and people were infamously betting on reddit that they’d eat a sock if the DLC was Plandings ;)

Given we’re in a post-launch state, and given how burned they got by the Horizons roadmap...

...It’s not that surprising that they’re not revealing the
I'm not expecting roadmaps. In fact - pls dont roadmap me. The 'roadmap' has become the travesty show of games business. Most of them are all talk no substance and when they're silently pulled everyone feels kinda cheated, although the wording is always careful enough to pull all kinds of bull. The "roadmap" is the convenient marketing sales tool to promise "something" and deliver anything.

So let's not talk about roadmaps. I'd rather know what "New Era" is supposed to be about. We know they want to go with a more finished product. Which is good. really good. No roadmap bull, I guess. No season pass of nobody knowing what they get for their buck. Good. But if they still don't know what the core features of Nu Era are gonna bring and share that - I assume there isnt much of core features lining up.
And why that is - I assume they couldnt make it work and had to axe it.

Top Bottom