ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Devs: Adds something a lot of players have wanted since the beginning

Players: RIP game

🤨

I bought a space fighter, not a First Person Shooter. I don't buy First Person Shooters (at least not multiplayer ones, I like Narrative ones like Bioshock and Half-Life). I never wanted this, but I fear they try to force it like they did with Engineering and that's game end for me, I won't do it.

Dude,
At least post some screenshots from actual footage while you are dropping the bomb all of a sudden. 2021 is still a longway to go U know.

Also did you guys just confirm atmospheric landings here?:
See the galaxy like never before. Touch down on breathtaking planets powered by stunning new tech, soak in suns rising over unforgettable vistas, discover outposts and settlements, and explore with unrestricted freedom.

My deep thoughts on the reveal:

• Space Legs looks great.
  • Base Building is suggested by the video, or at least new surface styles to land at.
  • New flight suits, or maybe dedicated combat suits?
  • Planet surface generation is VERY different. Looks more detailed.

Some concerns:
  • The reveal sounds very combat focused? Are non combat play styles getting new first person content too?
  • Atmospheric landings are suggested by the blue sky, but no confirmation in the reveal?
  • Beige planets are back? BOOOOOO!!!!!

Promising trailer, but I can't say I'm too excited yet as a mostly non combat Elite player. I need more info before I truly get excited, looking forward to more details down the road. Hopefully not too far away now?

I bought a space fighter, not a First Person Shooter. I don't buy First Person Shooters (at least not multiplayer ones, I like Narrative ones like Bioshock and Half-Life). I never wanted this, but I fear they try to force it like they did with Engineering and that's game end for me, I won't do it.

Well this stuff was part of what they promised would come to the game before it originally launched, it was always going to be there eventually.

Now, I'm going to speculate optimistically here.

So, in order to get out of our ships, we'll need to go through them, right? So that means walking through the ships as well.
UNLESS it's done like how SRV and SLF boarding is done - fade to black cutscene (which would be totally lame)

If social hubs... which means buildings... does that include starports? Are they so far removed?

So I'm hoping this includes both walking around ships and ports. Would love to walk around the Squirrel's Nest
More info to follow. I can't imagine this expansion without being able to walk inside of structures as it wouldn't make much sense to just run around the barren planet surfaces--- we can already basically do that in an SRV. No, I don't think FD are that dim.

I just hope the walking around part for stations and outposts has 'Fast Travel' options. Looking at other games and MMOs where you have to walk 10 kilometers to get to a mission (even if just the first time), very, very un-fun. FD should ignore the crowd of "realistic travel times" here and just implement fast transport elevators/ tubes/ teleporters or similar.

Count me in! Will this be in the same persistent galaxy? Will we be able to interact with Horizons-only players (outside of spacelegs and atmospherics?)

Also did you guys just confirm atmospheric landings here?:
See the galaxy like never before. Touch down on breathtaking planets powered by stunning new tech, soak in suns rising over unforgettable vistas, discover outposts and settlements, and explore with unrestricted freedom.
There's no blue skies - or any other colour - in game currently like the trailer, or the impressive banner in the steam page. There's mist in low levels, but no light scattering in an atmosphere.

So I would say ... yes. Probably a limited number of types, but still.

Then don't land on planets or walk around.
If done as past updates you will benefit from a lot of improvements even if you don't walk about.
Win-win.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom