ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
First quarter 2021? That's 9 months away at the outside. Sorry, but I just don't believe that. Not even if the Beta was released first quarter 2021 would I expect the official public release until late 2021, if not early 2022. Or did Frontier mean the Beta can be expected first quarter 2021? Let's be honest, if it's as big as they hint it to be and there is not even talk about a Beta date...I just don't see it.
Still, it's good news.
RIP SC. Doubt they will ever catch up with Elite now.

I can find places right now in the game, where you can have almost the very same hue on the skybox. So you're telling me that we actually were flying in atmosphere in space already since a long time and did not know it?

Sorry, outside of that color potentially being an artistic choice, some nebulas in the game produce the same. If that's all your evidence, please try some more.
The planetary approach exhibits a thin atmosphere ... it's no nebula effect.

My hope is that not just a graphical thing or shader change to make that. That it's actually in terms of the game flagging it as a "Atmospheric World"

I mean even as a graphical change, it looks good, but you know what I mean.

I'll reserve my judgement for the gameplay trailer.
Yeah. Just changing the shader and particle effects to create an atmo look and feel to a void and empty world isn't too impressive. Right now, I wonder if Frontier is just working hard to catch up with what other games already have done for a while.

The big challenge will be to add a biosphere, fauna, water, rain, sand storms, and such. Just changing the hue of the skybox isn't that impressive. I did it myself in Unreal the other day in just few minutes. Creating a world that "lives" and exist in that atmo, that's only thousand times harder.

But then again, it's just the first trailer to tempt us all a little. I'm sure (hope?) they're planning on doing much more with the atmos.

First quarter 2021? That's 9 months away at the outside. Sorry, but I just don't believe that. Not even if the Beta was released first quarter 2021 would I expect the official public release until late 2021, if not early 2022. Or did Frontier mean the Beta can be expected first quarter 2021? Let's be honest, if it's as big as they hint it to be and there is not even talk about a Beta date...I just don't see it.
Still, it's good news.

They've been working on this for at least a year as of right now that we know of, and have more than a half a year to go. It's feasible we can see this actually release in 2021 being as it was originally planned for Q4 2020 and got delayed due to COVID.

Still, it's good news.
FD have been working on "The New Era" (ie: This) for over three years i believe (EDIT : Azirphaeli said above "for at least a year" I could have sworn it's been much longer than that ) .. Edit 2 - Nope I was wrong the new Era was first mentioned last year. Really does feel a lot longer to me since they said they had moved the team onto this thing.

Last edited:
I've just streamed this in 4k on my 40" TV - don't miss out if you can do so, looks lovely......

A few quick thoughts....

1) Planetary graphics lookl ike they've undergone a massive overhaul. Really look very pretty with crisper definition and more detail.
2) Atmoshperic planets of at least one description are confirmed. The one in the video looks fairly thin.
3) It doesn't show them leaving the ship or walking about in it, but it would be odd at this point if this wasn't possible.
4) Jet packs - could be fun! BOING!

Im super excited :)

Now (and you'll likely find this bizarre, I'm guessing, but we all have our fantasies, right?), if they would only license the SPORE engine from EA, which would enable them to procedurally populate some of the most suitable alien worlds with complete ecosystems of alien life, that you could discover, catalog, and interact with. (They would not even have to be sentient aliens, ofc, but...). You could, at that point, literally spend a lifetime exploring our galaxy, and actually hope to find incredibly cool things on the otherwise procedurally-generated, but lifeless, empty worlds... (apologies to all the explorers out there who still manage to revel in landing on each new, empty world they find and driving around looking at the empty landscapes).

However, the association most people will have when you say ATMOSPHERES is not what is coming. This will just be the upgraded planetary graphics FD already mentioned, including ice-planets and better scattered debris. We will not get worlds with thick atmospheres like Earth or Venus. There will not be Earth-likes available to land on. FD already has a broad outline of paid expansions from the beginning with walking about and worlds with atmosphere as separate major development branches. So yes, there is atmospheric scattering in a limited way. Like vapor in craters today. Yes the visuals of some planets will have a bit of thin atmosphere, which could even just be dust and not gas. But if anyone expects gas-giant game play or landing on Earth they will be disappointed.
ELWs would be a push too far to expect, I think, but we don't know what is in the line-up yet. The point is, this is a major step in planetary presentation and the existence of some kind of atmosphere is a first in our experience in the game.

Atmospheric fuel scooping for tritium has been postulated since it was first announced for FCs.

Gas giant atmospheres are still possible with evidence seen in Lagrange Fields, but we will again have to wait and see. I'm anticipating a lot more than this reveal :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom