ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I think everyone is panicking about VR for no reason. Wasnt the game released with VR support? Can any of you tell me about an instance where a game that supported VR since release, released a dlc that required you not to use VR?

Seriously a bunch of doomsayers for the sake of hysteria. Get over it already

The main point is that it was marketed as a VR and 4K game as key features back then, but today, the two tiny VR support lines in the Steam description are about all hinting at VR at all. Since the ED site relaunch, there is zero mentioning of the fact the current game supports VR at all anymore, and despite the constant worries in the VR community, FD has not answered the question in either way. One statement would be enough to end the uncertainty, but there is none, since years now. Make of that what you will. I doubt that they will dare to drop it, but ask the Mac users.

And, woe me! June 2nd was Bazmeson Day and I completely missed it this year!

#rememberbazmeson

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
im hoping this will be a pvp dlc.
With the majority of gameplay/ dev time focused around open only player interaction/ competiton. obvs solo players will still be able to visit planets etc.
you only have to review this forum (pinned posts/ mod team) to see weve had enough solo mode explorer based patches. FSS/ mining update/ solo mode fleet carriers.
Bears will be outraged regardless (see fleet carrier squadron protest) and inevitably ruin the potential, so fdev should ignore them this time for the sake all things being perfectly balanced

For me multiplayer won't cut it. I don't care about that at all. I wouldn't do multiplayer if it was the only game in town.
But I am not worried about that. FDev is well aware of the fact that many people play mostly, if not only, solo, or PvE in groups.
lol remember when fdev said ppl mostly play in open tho

Nothing's confirmed yet. We don't know for sure whether there are indeed legs inside that space suit. 😜

Furthermore, we don't know whether there will be blood and ragdoll fx, even less if Thargoid soldiers actually tear off heads, rip apart chests and such.

Andromedaries, the blood-thirsty spacefaring camels of old Galnet lore, may hint at it though.

O7,
🙃

Wonderfull anoucement and great job guy !
Now please continious to feed us with constent news upon the avancement of this new vontent with developer diaries, problem facing.
the simple way is a newletter with :
  • What is done (houray!)
  • What is on going
  • Whatt is left to do

I'm hoping that the strong impression I've developed over the past few years, that development of new features is often lazy, slapdash, or even abandoned when they're still only in a semi-working state, is in fact an artefact of an old codebase that is almost impossible to work with, and that the last few years has seen a fundamental rewrite of the codebase to the point where new features can easily be realised to their full potential without spraying the entire game with random bugs.

I also heard Down to Earth Astronomy talk last night about the need for new networking features to make huge improvements to multiplayer; while I'm a Solo player myself, I agree that this would be of huge benefit to the more sociable (or homicidal) among my fellow players.

If Elite Dangerous: Odyssey (whatever happened to Elite Dangerous: Iliad?) comes with these fundamental improvements, that will probably be more important in the long term term than the specific new toys we get.

lol remember when fdev said ppl mostly play in open tho

I don't care what people do mostly.
A large part of the players doesn't.
Fact is that this is a game with a an important solo component and as the promised off-line mode got canned the minimum FDev will be obliged to do is taking care of good Pve gameplay.

PvE gameplay mechanics are the foundation upon which everything else rests.
Imagine if al PvE mechanics got removed... There would be no game left. The game would no longer be functional.
The same is not true when you remove all multiplayer components. You would still have a fully functional and playable game.
Even if you are totally into multiplayer/pvp a lot of your activities will still be PvE.
The heart of the game is PvE. Without good PvE mechanics the game dies.

Last edited:
PvE gameplay mechanics are the foundation upon which everything else rests.
Imagine if al PvE mechanics got removed... There would be no game left. The game would no longer be functional.
The same is not true when you remove all multiplayer components. You would still have a fully functional and playable game.

only because they have so far focused on pve gameplay. time to spread the love is all. sharing is caring dude

With the majority of gameplay/ dev time focused around open only player interaction/ competiton. obvs solo players will still be able to visit planets etc.
you only have to review this forum (pinned posts/ mod team) to see weve had enough solo mode explorer based patches.

You seem to have some pretty skewed notions about the game.
PvE is not exclusive to Solo play , things aimed at non-combat are not indicative of a focus on solo mode.

You seem to have some pretty skewed notions about the game.
PvE is not exclusive to Solo play , things aimed at non-combat are not indicative of a focus on solo mode.
pvp/ player interaction (pp etc) hasnt recieved a lot of attention from the dev team. its ok for others to get nice things as well as explorers

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom