ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Folk thinking about earth-like planets will probably need to get their expectations in check before further announcements come along.

Even going back to 2014, they said then they'd do airless moons and asteroids first, followed by barren atmospheric worlds like present day Mars, before moving on to more complex atmospheric worlds.

The visuals in the trailer jive pretty perfectly with that second phase of planetary development.

I personally don't expect earth likes or fauna of any kind. My expectation is barren atmospheric planets. But I do hope for water planets, or lava worlds tough.

Folk thinking about earth-like planets will probably need to get their expectations in check before further announcements come along.

Even going back to 2014, they said then they'd do airless moons and asteroids first, followed by barren atmospheric worlds like present day Mars, before moving on to more complex atmospheric worlds (probably also in several phases).

The visuals in the trailer jive pretty perfectly with that second phase of planetary development.

Earth-like worlds might never come, but if they do, procedural biomes and alien life that varies across millions of planets (without being cartoony like NMS or Spore), and interacts consistently with other procedural life as well as players, is probably going to be a while game's worth of dev-time (and recruitment-, theory-, experimentation-, and trial-and-error-time) just on its own.

Still, this is a big step in that direction. The first major step in five years.
There's a whole barrel load of assumptions based on a trailer. I'm minded to wait for further information before declaring anything other than we now know we're talking about Odyssey and legs.

Me too.

I don't know why, and I sure have been very salty at times, but for some reason I truly believe this update will be huge and this teaser was a mere whiff.

Historically they've suggested that walking on planets would come after walking in ships and stations. They've mentioned meeting up in social hubs so those floating bars and stations seem likely places to go. They've not mentioned walking around ships, but it would be odd to leave that out, I'd imagine.

Structurally we appear to be getting a massive chunk of what has been promised.

Yeah.

I guess the "sky" is kind of nice but it seems like it's just a diffuse filter with no real atmospheric effects.
Didn't really notice improvements to the terrain, I just thought it looked pretty cos of the light.

If the trailer had showed FPS characters actually doing something FPS-specific (entering an outpost, climbing a mountain, repairing a ship or whatever) I might've been more impressed.
But still, I guess there's 9 months-worth of trailers to fill with extra stuff.

As it is, like you say, it just looks like Horizons+. 🤷‍♂️

I'm just a bit baffled why people are so skeptical that this might be "in-game" footage.

Because the surface clearly looks much more detailed. Bit baffled how someone can not see that...

Well tonights livestream should be interesting and a fun change :D

"Will there be legs?"

YES!

"Will there still be VR support?"

Our commitment to the game remains unchanged. Next question please...

TBH even though the Steam Odyssey page doesn't list VR support anymore, I doubt you can really implement 2.5D only Legs and VR Horizon-style SRV driving on the same planet and at the same time without all kinds of technical nightmares. So most likely, VR will either be there completely or not. Possibly more likely there, because it's marketed as a DLC and requires the base game, but who knows.

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
There is certainly an intermediate path with the monstrosities of NMS.

Other publishers have made planets with flora and fauna in space games.

Most Cmdrs don't ask all the caracteristics.

Just a little green, water, blue sky, clouds and some animals. :)

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
Sure they have, but it's only for a small amount of planets which have been designed especially for those places. It's not the same when in ED we have millions of planets with unique life on them, not just 20 or 30.

I think everyone is panicking about VR for no reason. Wasnt the game released with VR support? Can any of you tell me about an instance where a game that supported VR since release, released a dlc that required you not to use VR?

Seriously a bunch of doomsayers for the sake of hysteria. Get over it already

To elaborate more:

OMG!

Sorry, i was saying... so, what we'll get: space legs, fps ground fights and barren atmospheric planets.. what i can say...

OMG!

(I really need to get my key mappings back on track. Any suggstion to how to map an xbox controller on pc? Or from what base controller mapping to start. And yes, i have to stick with the controller for logistical reasons)

Last edited:
Take it for what it is on the VR front, a hastily cobbled together segment of information due to a accidental leak. Once everything stabilises after FC launch and we start getting more info if VR isnt there then you might have reason to panic. At present its a damage limitation exercise to stop everyone picking the video apart and making 2+2 =3000000.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom