What level of compromise are VR players willing to temporarily accept in Odyssey?

I only want to fly through atmospheric planets and explore them in the SRV in VR.
I'm not so much interested in legs.
So an option for me would be:

Purchase Odyssey and when I launch Horizons from the launcher I get the atmospheric planets without legs. When I want to play legs I launch odyssey without VR.
This ^^^ is exactly how I feel.

I can't say I'm entirely surprised by the annnouncement (at some level) and didn't necessarily want VR support for the walking component anyway. With the reveal that Odyssey is (apparently) going to include atmospheric landings tho' - at a very basic level what I want is to be able to fly my spaceship over the surface of a planet, in VR, with blue skies above me. I think the experience of that (with whatever other terrain improvements Odyssey brings ... perhaps even weather?) would be an absolutely sensational VR experience and something that will be hard to bear if it's not supported.

Initially this is how I interpreted FD's VR statement. I imagined a situation where there'd be a moment when you get out of the pilot seat (perhaps via a fade to black, perhaps via a 3rd person animation) and that that would be the moment when, at launch at least, it would say "sorry - VR no supported". I could live with that. It never occured to me that VR users might be excluded from the basic improvements to the graphics engine, the new terrain and the lighting and sky colours provided by atmospheric worlds. I assumed it was just a technical issue to do with the practicalities of locomotion and other "legs" related issues.

I'm currently still trying to get an answer from FD to the question I posted in the Odyssey announcement thread.

Will people in VR still be able to fly space ships around beneath a blue sky?

Right at the end of last night's livestream Zac spotted my request for clarification on this issue and I'm hoping that he's going to try and provide an answer if at all possible. 🤞
Really good to hear it got picked up, finger's crossed for a clear answer.

I already have problems with motion sickness when using VR in the SRV. So whenever I go into the SRV I switch to my monitor. Actually that's ok with me, since I am not often on a planetary surface.

Have you actually tried playing AI in VR? What do you think about those animations that force head movement upon the player? Why do you think most VR titels avoid forced VR movement?

It would simply be unplayable for most players. If actual headmovent is detached from the movement you get to see in the headset, the majority of players will feel sick due to that. It is maybe hard to comprehend, if you did not have tried VR, so let me tell you it can be very disorienting. Even if it does not affect you at first, it can make you feel pretty sick after some time.
Eh?
How is this different from dog fighting in a Vulture in VR?

I didn't realise Hellblade was available in VR, so thank you. :D
Sure. :) You even get it for free, if you have the regular version.

Yes, the whole game and the DLCs. Enjoyed it immensely, in a wobbly-kneed fashion on occasion.

No nausea issues, but if that would worry you in EDO then it could be added to the massive caveat at the start 🤷‍♂️
But even if it works for you, you are probably aware, that you are a minority within a minority.

Edit: the modder, Nibre, sounds like they’re going to do some more work on the mod, once they’ve finished getting VR working with the Master Chief Collection (oh yuss!)
Interesting, I need to check Subnautica out eventually.

Great game for VR - the voices whispering just behind you, all the time, very cleverly done.
This is not a feature exclusive to the VR version. Binaural audio is present in the flat version. You need to play with headphones to notice it though.
Edit:
Eh?
How is this different from dog fighting in a Vulture in VR?
If you have a cockpit game, your brain can use the cockpit as a frame of reference. Which it does it real life, too, subconsciously. It can still take some time of getting used to flying in a cockpit, because your inner ear senses you are static, while your eyes perceive movement. The big difference is head movement is still possible, while sitting in the cockpit. In described example of Alien Isolation head movement is completely locked or forced in certain directions in certain situations. And this is a huge difference, more than you might think, if you haven't experienced it yourself.

Last edited:
My compromise level would be flying and driving in VR...legs for what I call LEGACY gaming mode.

As for motion sickness....some people get it in whatever VR experience they play in, some get it in a few and some none at all. Some people are able to train themselves to adapt.

This statement is pure damage limitation: "we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise, which, for launch, means Odyssey will not be VR-compatible ". I'm sorry, but software development is engineering and engineering is all about compromise, ergo VR for spacelegs will always be compromised in that sense, for some people.

The reality I suspect is that VR was cut in order to accelerate the development of the new render pipeline, who's existence is evidenced in the teaser video, which of course proves that software engineering is a compromise...just not one VR players (including myself) can agree with nor support.

Last edited:
But even if it works for you, you are probably aware, that you are a minority within a minority.
In all the comments I’ve read about the MotherVR mod, the only comfort issues I’ve seen mentioned are related to the 0.8 version which introduced a slight head position misalignment after crouching. From what I’ve seen, everyone who’s played it either loved it or noped right out of the headset because it was too scary 🤷‍♂️

Has it? I don't use that option in any of the games I've played (e.g. Fallout, Subnautica, NMS). I much prefer being able to run around using the XBox controller and just use the headset to look around. Though I am lucky to not suffer from motion sickness at all.

It seems to have at least gone with ensuring that's an option, even if push to walk is there as well for those who can stomach it. Subnautica's a bit different because you're not walking, but swimming, so movement that's closer to driving your body around as a vehicle instead of walking makes some level of internal sense.

In all the comments I’ve read about the MotherVR mod, the only comfort issues I’ve seen mentioned are related to the 0.8 version which introduced a slight head position misalignment after crouching. From what I’ve seen, everyone who’s played it either loved it or noped right out of the headset because it was too scary 🤷‍♂️
Maybe I tried a much older version, which had more forced head movement (for instance when you got thrown around or you entered vents.

I'm going to have to try that. I've been putting off finishing the game, because I don't like the basic VR experience.

I finished it in pancake mode on the XBox and enjoyed the experience very much. For some reason I wasn't aware it was in VR too, so when I found out about that I started again - it's a game that's just as fun the second time round (well, more in VR, really :) ). The VR experience (unmodded) is definitely subpar, but I found that the game itself was rewarding enough to be able to ignore most of the issues.

I stopped playing because I encountered the falling through the floor bug in the alien installations, and couldn't be arsed for the effort it would take to get past that. I'm hoping these mods will resolve that and the other irritations, as I find the atmosphere of Subnautica in VR incredible.

Though it does appear that I may have problems applying the mods, as I've been playing the game via Gamepass. Seems that I can't get enough access to the install folder to be able to mod it, which is an annoyance (it gets installed as a Windows Store app). If I can't figure that out, I'll have to buy it again via Steam... But I can live with that.

Edit:
If you have a cockpit game, your brain can use the cockpit as a frame of reference. Which it does it real life, too, subconsciously. It can still take some time of getting used to flying in a cockpit, because your inner ear senses you are static, while your eyes perceive movement. The big difference is head movement is still possible, while sitting in the cockpit. In described example of Alien Isolation head movement is completely locked or forced in certain directions in certain situations. And this is a huge difference, more than you might think, if you haven't experienced it yourself.
I’ve got Fallout 4 VR but never downloaded it. Maybe I should to see.

It seems to have at least gone with ensuring that's an option, even if push to walk is there as well for those who can stomach it. Subnautica's a bit different because you're not walking, but swimming, so movement that's closer to driving your body around as a vehicle instead of walking makes some level of internal sense.

There is dry land and there are bases in Subnautica where you aren't swimming. :) It's only the games that implemented full VR controller support that have implemented the point and click method of moving. Many others where mods or updates have added VR, the movement is still controller based (as are most other interactions). Alien: Isolation is a good example of that (and the only game that made me throw up - but that was due to the beer festival in the afternoon, rather than the VR!).

Though it does appear that I may have problems applying the mods, as I've been playing the game via Gamepass. Seems that I can't get enough access to the install folder to be able to mod it, which is an annoyance (it gets installed as a Windows Store app). If I can't figure that out, I'll have to buy it again via Steam... But I can live with that.
Don't waste time modding UWP apps, it probably won't work as it is supposed to prevent exactly that.
I’ve got Fallout 4 VR but never downloaded it. Maybe I should to see.
Give it a try, though I suspect it is much more refined as even the latest unofficial mod for Alien Isolation. FO4 VR does not force any head movement on you, maybe only if you step on objects with enabled physics. But then that is only a very brief moment. If ED was on a level like FO4 or Skyrim, it would be great already.

Edit:
Alien Isolation is one where I've not tried my headset on the game; that thing is too scary already!
When I tried the VR mod, I loaded the very last checkpoint from my previous play though in flat. To not spoil anything I will only say, there is a jump-scare shortly after that, which made me almost fall from my chair - holy sheet!

Last edited:
Maybe I tried a much older version, which had more forced head movement (for instance when you got thrown around or you entered vents.
Virtually all head bobbing got removed in v0.6 and entering vents is a quick, smooth motion into a crouch. I’m hoping that the future plans for “reworked movement/comfort” and “controller relative aiming” mean a more ‘proper’ VR experience is on the horizon. Watching the Touch controller hand movements in Halo on their Twitter feed looks awesome, maybe Nibre can backport that experience into AI.

If I can do all flying and driving activities in VR, that would satisfy me, especially since we're not getting ship interiors IIRC. If we do get ship interiors, then I want the camera suite to allow me to move to different rooms so I can "pretend" walk around them in VR like I can currently do in the cockpit today.

Speaking of, Subnautica is far from perfect in VR (to the point that I often will switch to 2D depending on what I am doing), but it's "good enough" for me. Also, I'm a walker not a teleporter. I play Skyrim VR just like I play Skyrim 2D (walking, running, etc - no teleporting) with the one exception that I actually shoot my arrows like I'm literally holding a bow and arrow, which is pretty slick.

What I am talking about is opening a door for a paid update (or part of one) that works with VR.

As for the clip, it states "pre alpha in engine footage".
Well as I said I do not think it is a monetary or resource issue as far as the short (less then 3 month) or medium (<1 year) term. I would be surprised if there was anything that could make that happen.

Now I also think that they will (at least try to) add the VR support. There are many technical barriers.

But more importantly I wanted to state my view. I when I went in on VR I knew it was new tech. I dont know how people feel about it today as it is slightly more mainstream then it used to be.

For me though there is zero surprise that this is an issue, as much as I wish it was not. Which is what I wanted to state. Most of the VR players I know, it is kinda like muticrew. Really fun but you know there are glitches and issues. -- I see a number of people posting critically about it.

So I guess more then the technical or logistical discussions/debates about how and when this should happen, I expect issues with VR. So the level of compromise I am willing to accept is that space-legs doesn't work with VR. I accept that 100% at this stage.

Alien Isolation is one where I've not tried my headset on the game; that thing is too scary already!

I had a minor existential crisis some time back whilst hiding petrified under a desk, edging out and then immediately fleeing back to my grief-hole repeatedly for a solid twenty minutes... “What on earth brought me to this point in life?”

Have you actually tried playing AI in VR? What do you think about those animations that force head movement upon the player? Why do you think most VR titels avoid forced VR movement?
It's less than ideal, but personally I found it perfectly enjoyable. I much preferred the experience to my original 2D playthrough ("enjoyable" and "preferred" are probably the wrong words... it was horrific). I've played through it a couple of times in VR. Equally, NMS VR has its flaws but it's preferable to playing in 2D for me. I struggled a little more with Subnautica mostly due to the dire frame-rate in and around my base (it's actually worse on my RTX 2080 than it was on my old 1060 for some reason), and it's full of major bugs that should have been addressed.

People talk about Half-life Alyx as some kind of sea change for first-person VR (I use free movement), but isn't it simply a very refined implementation of existing methods?

Top Bottom