Notice Fleet Carrier Update - Known Issues

I agree with others on this 1000%, the new buttons look awful. Plus I can't imagine any situation where I would dock and NOT access the main Starport Services. For example, if I've just completed a mission, I'll need to access Starport Services. If I'm delivering passengers, I'll need to access Starport Services. If I'm trading, I'll need to access Starport Services. If I'm outfitting, cashing in vouchers, swapping ships, etc etc etc. - I'll need to access Starport Services. I can't imagine docking, just using these new buttons and then leaving in any circumstances. So why the change?

You clearly don't do combat much! when in the middle of clearing a conflict zone tackling a NPC wing single handed you lose shields and they pop your canopy, and you have 5 mins+ of oxygen to reach a station, once you arrive, you dock, repair, rearm, fly out, get back in the fight asap. No need to enter the services menu,

I agree with others on this 1000%, the new buttons look awful. Plus I can't imagine any situation where I would dock and NOT access the main Starport Services. For example, if I've just completed a mission, I'll need to access Starport Services. If I'm delivering passengers, I'll need to access Starport Services. If I'm trading, I'll need to access Starport Services. If I'm outfitting, cashing in vouchers, swapping ships, etc etc etc. - I'll need to access Starport Services. I can't imagine docking, just using these new buttons and then leaving in any circumstances. So why the change?
I want to add my voice to this one - I really don't like the new station services menu redesign at all. Several reasons ...

1) On behalf of a small but (imho) signifcant group of players (The Buckyball Racing Club) can I just say that our races rely 100% on being able to see a clock on the screen somewhere (submissions for our time trial races take the form of a set of screenshots, with the visible clock being used to verify people's times). Primarily we rely on the station services clock as the official race start and finish time. By removing that you have seriously affected our ability to judge our races. Now, while it is still possible to use the cockpit HUD clock for this purpose, the problem with that is that frequently it's very difficult if not impossible to read due to it being obscured by glare from cockpit or external lights, or because of VR or headlook movement. Over the past 5 years and 70+ races I could probably lay my hands on hundreds of screenshots to prove this. I'm very aware that we're a small number of players in the grand scheme of things but I would like to think that we've made our mark on the Elite: Dangerous galaxy and deserve to be heard.

2) Whether or not some people might grow to like the new UI and find it handy to be able to avoid one extra click when refuelling, by changing this you've basically affected the muscle memory of an activity which every single player does probably 100's of times a week. I would speculate that, in the short term at least, this will actually make those quick access "toolbar" functions harder to perform because people now have to stop and think about them.

3) This one's subtle but important. By changing the UI you actually stop people going into Station services. It's a bit like having a lovely shopping center full of enticing things to see and do and then selling socks and sweets outside the front door. You prevent people from going in for those things and then being enticed (or reminded) to get a few other things while they're there (maybe picking up a mission or two, perhaps claiming some bounties or doing a spot of remote engineering).

4) More of a basic grumble than an actual reason - why on earth did you feel the need to change this at all Frontier? It just didn't need changing. Golden rule - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Please reconsider this change?

For and on behalf of ...
brc_banner_512.png

Last edited:
It's part of the implementation plan and is a valid a critical part of the deployment process. Standard practice everywhere... except the games industry. Complexity of the system is no excuse.

New Bug here. It appears that for whatever reason, my route plotting acts as if I've enabled jet cone boosts even though I've got them disabled. The game also thinks that my Mamba has a 100ly jump range when I attempt to change the filters or swap to realistic Gal-Map. I'm also getting duplicate messages about my recent promotion (day before the patch) to triple elite filling my inbox and spamming the message received sound.

Mission boards haven't been working for me at all since the update, can't get a single one to update, tried going to about 6 or 7 different systems and all mission givers have 0/0 missions.

Eventually bought a carrier after many drops.
Managed to transfer ships and sell some trade data.
Got jumped to a system selling Tritium and parked up.
Went looking for Tritium to mine and that proved to be a rather annoying task.
Will continue next session.

The lack of enough QA is a bigger concern though than the lack of having a skeleton night crew.
Frontier's QA is terrible.. I'm not saying the team is terrible - who knows, maybe they do their jobs and the developers just blow them off. But whoever is to blame, quality is never assured when it comes to Elite Dangerous. Once you realize this is an immutable fact, you go into these updates well aware and prepared for the inevitable failures to follow, and that makes the pill easier to swallow. At least that's been my experience.

BTW, I doubt a skeleton crew could have fixed all the problems in this update. I'll be surprised if everything is fully up in running proper before next week.

Can't purchase fleet carrier (black adder error code), station control audio is missing (intermittent issue), power play fast track quota is completely broken. All reported on the tracker.

Last edited:
Guess I spoke too soon about the CZ fixes, huh. There's a meme in here somewhere...can't have objectives fail to spawn in a CZ if there are no CZs? Needs a bit of work.

well there is mine in all its glory before heading off to top up the tanks and head off into the black

Attachments

• 20200610121639_1.jpg
    20200610121639_1.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 94
I don't either. But I do expect, and I believe reasonably so, that when major content is released for a game I've paid for it's not going to be a half baked maggot cake with a side of extra bugs! This is one of the main reasons when Blizzard was asked about when World of Warcraft upgrades would be coming out the response was almost always "when it's ready". This new content was not ready. I'd have much rather seen them push the release back again and get it right than send this thing out in the condition it's in.
I agree this (and most other updates) is a half-baked cake full of bugs. The sad thing is that they already pushed this update back SIX months (remember this was scheduled for December 2019), so time does not equate to quality at Frontier.

Which brings me back to my initial stance - what good could a bunch of sleep-deprived developers actually have been in the wee hours of the morning? If anything they might have made things worse in that state. People think all of this can be fixed in a few hours - ha ha ha, I laugh at such naivety! It will likely be DAYS (if not weeks) before everything is fully and properly fixed. With this in mind, let the poor humans get some sleep and a bite to eat - except David Braben, who has been asleep at the wheel for years now and needs to be shaken awake to deal with this mess of his.

Top Bottom