Animated Avatar for VR players to use just now...

Edit - in light of firsrt few replies I've updated with two subtler static images and a simplified two frame animation...
Sorry mate, still nope. It's really annoying while browsing. The last thing I want us VR players be associated with is the rioters who make things bad for other people. All that would achieve is many of [VR] tags on the ignore lists of many people...

As for the OP sorry but not me. I don't mind putting VR on my title as a show of support but actually making the forum look uncomfortable for everyone else is a step to far and seems a bit like the digital equivalent of causing criminal damage at a protest.

Sorry mate, still nope. It's really annoying while browsing. The last thing I want us VR players be associated with is the rioters who make things bad for other people. All that would achieve is many of [VR] tags on the ignore lists of many people...

I think of it the other way around, for me the avatar thing is a way to make my feelings known in every post I make without "derailing" the or Hijacking threads. For a real-world analogy I'd say jumping into a thread and derailing it into a rant on VR is akin to spraypainting (graffitiing) your campaigns slogan on on historical monuments, while the avatar/signature/tags is akin to wearing a wristband* in support of your cause.

*Albeit a rather shouty orange & blue flashing one in the case of the first after I made.

Switch the colors on the animated one to red and blue. That way it looks like cops at a crime scene.

could you imagine every post in the forums blinking like police cars at a murder scene 😂

Probably won’t get you what you want, but I’d lol.

Switch the colors on the animated one to red and blue. That way it looks like cops at a crime scene.

could you imagine every post in the forums blinking like police cars at a murder scene 😂

Probably won’t get you what you want, but I’d lol.
I picked the blue / orange strobe for that reason, only elite dangerous colours, blue orange, darker blue red, its but a colour tone slider adjustment between them.

Keeping VR as a topic on all the key channels just keeps it on the CM’s lists, with the most common themes being taken up the chain.

In a best case scenario FDev could decide that the bad PR within the community is worth assuaging with some new action. (The VR community seems to be more sizeable than average for ED. This reddit poll suggests possibly up to a third of hardcore players).

It could mean: Allowing more new Odyssey tech to be accessible in Horizons than initially intended; tackling an MVP version of VR for Odyssey launch; allowing basic offline modding which turns on the native VR support etc.

Stop-gap stuff like that.

Personally I think the only community act that could accelerate or increase the odds of a fuller-fat VR delivery is a big poll displaying willingness to pay more for a VR version. (Which is the norm in the VR marketplace generally, to offset the lower purchase numbers).

Doing any of thise stop-gap measures is going to further delay the release of Odyssey. Not as much as a full VR release, but everything needs to be deisgned, coded and tested. Given that it's already been delayed 3 months I can't see FDev pushing it out further - not when they can simply say 'VR will come later'.

Doing any of thise stop-gap measures is going to further delay the release of Odyssey. Not as much as a full VR release, but everything needs to be deisgned, coded and tested. Given that it's already been delayed 3 months I can't see FDev pushing it out further - not when they can simply say 'VR will come later'.

You can’t know that. The point is to push FDev to look for solutions to the conundrum.

For example, endorsing post-launch modding of solo mode wouldn’t delay launch. It would involve a bit of work on their side, but they already check for mod exploits as a matter of course (and leave benign mods be). In theory it could just be a new strand to that behaviour.

(And honestly anyone expecting FDev to willingly delay Odyssey Beyond Q1 is onto a hiding. It’s the end of their financial year and they’ll be loathe to miss that window)

Also, the original VR support for Oculus Rift Dev Kit's in Elite Dangerous' Alpha's was added by one guy, Greg, in <24hrs. A similar approach to having a bare bones VR at launch of "just" giving headlook VR on legs, as that's all we had in seated elite, would a very small amount of work.

Full-on hand-control and room-scale VR with full "if you see it you can interact with it" level of environment modelling would take obviously longer, and may require other assets to be modified, and may result in timelines like @DrewCarnegie suggested, but that is not what is being asked for or expected.

I think the “something else” :)

I don’t think I’ve seen any VR user advocating a delay to EDO, just an assurance that VR will be implemented at some stage.

One thing does worry me slightly, Odessy has been pushed back by corona lockdown understandably reducing the teams productivity (not a criticism), the company is still not back at work (and quite rightly so - stay safe) so the understandably reduced output continues, and now we are campaigning for VR in Odessy, which some Non VR players see as a potential source of additional delays to Odessy...

...If / When we persuade FDev to add VR into Odessy there will be a very welcome announcement to appease us VR protestors, however the continuing corona restrictions are likely to cause more delays to Odessy, which will come in an(other) announcement and obviously won't be as well received, and will likely be blamed on the VR campaign. So I can foresee a potential scenario in a few months whereby us VR guys will be getting blamed to delays for a game update that are in actual fact due to corona and not our fault, but we'll be taking a lot of flak for it never the less.

- not when they can simply say 'VR will come later'.
They haven't said that tho. IF they said VR won't be in at launch but will be a top priority as soon as released I at least would be ok with that.
IF it is due to lighting effects and what not being broken in VR that just shows shortsightedness. ED IS a VR game esp the one on the oculus store therefore designing lighting features that they know won't work in VR would be an awful decision. I hope that is not what they did

Top Bottom