Looking for New HOTAS advice

I was wandering if our fantastic and knowledgable comunity would assist me on that 1. I was using a T1600m and throttle from thrustmaster for nearly 5 years now, super happy with it APPART of yaw axis on the stick which is a common issue with it. Every few days I have to dissasemble it otherwise I get ghost input from that axis.

So I am currently looking into few options and due to pandemic and all that stocks are very limited, so I have time to get some opinions.

Current options I am looking at are:

X52 pro for circa £150
X56 for £220
Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas for £350

Money is not an issue but don't like to overpay for garbage if lower priced options work same or better.

Any input is highly appreciated. Just to add, I have the game since 2015 i think and with 2 years brake(due to that stupid yaw issue with the stick) I am sitting at over 1000hrs and also playing flight sims from time to time so I am looking for something that will withstand some heavy dogfighting :)

o7

Edit: I read alot before posting and I am only looking for owners of those sticks opinions first hand so please if You are about to write something that I can find on google already, don't bother

Last edited:
EDIT : The following is wrong and the other way round, as mentioned by posters later(I wanted to preserve original post :) )

If you want the X-55 or X-56 then buy the logitech one, it has blue lines on it, the older one from madcatz(grey lines I think) is pants(cheap parts) :(
If you want Yaw then X-56, else Warthog.

Last edited:
I went through three Saiteks before getting a Warthog, it's been solid for a couple of years now. There's a big difference in build quality, the Warthog is a sturdy piece of gear. It's a lot stiffer than the Saiteks though, and there's a stiction issue.

If you want the X-55 or X-56 then buy the logitech one, it has blue lines on it, the older one from madcatz(grey lines I think) is pants(cheap parts) :(
If you want Yaw then X-56, else Warthog.

Did You have the ghost input issue from buttons I read and hear alot about?

I went through three Saiteks before getting a Warthog, it's been solid for a couple of years now. There's a big difference in build quality, the Warthog is a sturdy piece of gear. It's a lot stiffer than the Saiteks though, and there's a stiction issue.

Can You ellaborate on that stiction issue? I didn't come across that before mentiined anywhere?

My X56 (Logitech) had ghost input issues when plugged into a USB 2 port - this went away when using a USB 3 one. This only affected the Throttle - but as I had 2 USB 3 ports spare...

When I upgraded from my old Thrustmaster 16000M HOTAS to a X-56 (the new, logitech one) at first I was a little dismayed... It felt far too stiff and bulky, the throttle especially, was so stiff that it moved when I pushed it. I looked up online and many people had the same issue, but they all said it would go away on its own after a few weeks. So it stick with it, and it the issue did indeed fixed itself after 3 weeks of usage.

After getting used to it, I got to say I love it. It has lots more buttons, more axis, more self-centering analog mini-sticks. The joystick is a bit large making one of the top hats hard to use, even with large hands, but overall it's a fantastic HOTAS, and the build quality is far superior to the T16000M which feels to much like cheap plastic.

Deleted member 121570

D
+1 for the VKB and Virpil routes; they are stunningly good bits of kit. Currently using Virpil Deltas on T50 bases and couldn't be happier.

The VKB Sim Gladiator K with SCG grips (enabling twist) are probably the best value mid-tier sticks on the market right now.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gladiator-k

I'd avoid the Warthog personally. I had one and got rid - overpriced metal stick with an uninspiring plastic gimbal buried in it, no twist for yaw axis.

It's exactly opposite!
First Logitech X-56 had blue finish and reported quality issues. Breaking wires, ghosting buttons, overall poor quality and reliability.
Some time later Logitech reviewed the design, introduced upgrades, changed production line and released V2 with GREY finish.
True is - get Logitech one, not earlier brands. Just mind there are two revisions:

"You can tell if the version of the X56 is the updated one by the color scheme. The old one has blue in it, while the updated version replaces the blue with grey. "
source:

I wanted to buy X-56 (upgrade from 3D Pro) but reported poor quality made me reconsider. Finally decided to go after X-52 Pro, not disappointed at all.

+1 for the VKB and Virpil routes; they are stunningly good bits of kit. Currently using Virpil Deltas on T50 bases and couldn't be happier.

The VKB Sim Gladiator K with SCG grips (enabling twist) are probably the best value mid-tier sticks on the market right now.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gladiator-k

I'd avoid the Warthog personally. I had one and got rid - overpriced metal stick with an uninspiring plastic gimbal buried in it, no twist for yaw axis.

I have the Gladiator K with the Kosmosima grip and it is very good. It replaced a Gladiator I which was (is still) good, but the K is much upgraded.

On another note the Gladiators are not too tall so are good for desktops: most high-end VKB & Virpil sticks sit a bit higher.

MP

It's exactly opposite!
First Logitech X-56 had blue finish and reported quality issues. Breaking wires, ghosting buttons, overall poor quality and reliability.
Some time later Logitech reviewed the design, introduced upgrades, changed production line and released V2 with GREY finish.
True is - get Logitech one, not earlier brands. Just mind there are two revisions:

"You can tell if the version of the X56 is the updated one by the color scheme. The old one has blue in it, while the updated version replaces the blue with grey. "
source:

I wanted to buy X-56 (upgrade from 3D Pro) but reported poor quality made me reconsider. Finally decided to go after X-52 Pro, not disappointed at all.

This ^^^. The "good" version of the X-56 is the Logitech with grey markings. Illumination is still blue though, that might be what caused the confusion.

Thanks all for the input so far.

I'm starting to like the Virpil option more and more I read about it. Although x56 is still in my head as well. Damn choices!!

Thanks all for the input so far.

I'm starting to like the Virpil option more and more I read about it. Although x56 is still in my head as well. Damn choices!!
If you have 'large' hands the X56 is no problem - mine being slightly more 'delicate' makes using the secondary fire and top hat switch on the joystick quite challenging... just something to consider :)

Thanks again all for Your answers, I was glad to hear that logitech tackled the issues mentioned about x56 so decided to order that.

However, considering where things are going with elite, looks like I will be spending more and more time in the game,so I have that funny feeling that I will be getting Virpil sooner than later. Thanks to those who brought that 1 up as I never heard about it before so big o7 to all.

See You all in space.

Top Bottom