PVP in ED? Enough already, this isn't a PVP game. Forums plugged up, too much.

This guy is talking about the advertising saying this is a "cutthroat galaxy" or whatever the advertising says. Which by the way, if you are going to use advertising lines as your argument, you might as well not even talk, unless it explicitly said "integral exciting PVP game". And we all know it does't.

The marketing at elitedangerous.com fight does.

No it doesn't. It doesn't say anything about "you'll get ganked by players just like in UO 1997". It's pathetically laughable how much players are trying to turn the verbage on a box into their argument. The mere fact NPC's regularily interdict players is "cut throat" enough to satisfy that advertising.

I was a ganker in Diablo 1 and UO for years. It was exciting, and before you even talk, I am inside your head. I already know your thoughts and arguments, I was YOU possibly before you were even born. Then I played Darkfall for many years and fought against the gankers (if you don't know what darkfall is, it was a WOW type game with FPS combat and built for PVP- sorta). Then I realized MMORPG's (Elite, arguably) are not well suited to PVP. I play League of Legends and Mordhau/Chivalry 98% of my game time now, games that are actually PVP games, designed from the ground up for it. Elite dangerous, a pvp game? What a SUPER bad joke to try to maintain.

This is just another WOW clone with different clothing, never really a PVP game, has PVP added on to it. Literally every discussion of this is objectively stupid. It's a tertiary part of ED, and a small subset of players try to make it into a big thing in this game. You are welcome to have a different opinion, but you are completely wrong.

I'm 37 and had a computer since I was tiny. I played Wolf 3d, Doom, warcraft 2, hexen & heretic 1 & 2 when they came out. I was too young to actually talk to knowledgeable people about gaming back then, wasn't until I saw Goldeneye on n64 that I even knew FPS was at it's best during PVP. My friends would get annoyed because I didn't want to play Mario Cart circuit mode, I just wanted to do battle mode all day every day. Before anyone even coined the term PVP, I was a pvper.

And this game ain't a ing PVP game. But everytime I look at the forums I have to sift through numerous threads about Open. This is a PVP game like WOW was a PVP game. Yeah, it had open world pvp possible, even though I thought I was a "leet pvper" and sought it out it was rare, and unsatisfying. That game had instanced PVP battlegrounds, everyone was tuned into PVP and more or less prepared for it. Just like CQC. Elite dangerous main game has no balance, it also has no goals (regarding pvp, there is no "match").

This STUPID arguing about Open mode, has been going on 5 years now, WHY EVEN WASTE A THOUGHT ABOUT IT, let alone threads and posts and hours of your lives debating it? It isn't going to change, and people are fools for wasting your time thinking about it. I just wasted 5 minutes typing this up out of frustration there are almost 0 quality threads I can read about ED, it's all about Open mode. For all I know, there is new information about Odyssey on page 2, but I don't click it because it's probably more whining.

Actual "pvpers" play games like Fortnite/PUBG, CS, Overwatch,Valorant, Moba's, RTS

In the space MMORPG i'd Suggest Vendette Online for PVP

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
No it doesn't.
https://www.elitedangerous.com/features/fight/ said:
FIGHT
ARM YOURSELF. IT'S A CUTTHROAT GALAXY OUT THERE.

It’s a cutthroat galaxy out there and you’ll need combat skills to survive. Whether you’re a trader, miner, explorer or dedicated combat pilot, you’ll need to be ready to stand your ground and fight.
Every ship can be outfitted weapons that fit your combat style, from rapid-fire multi-cannons to auto-targeting beam lasers. Combined with a selection of shields and armor, your ship can be armed to take on the galaxy’s pirates, law enforcement or even rogue commanders.
If you choose to fly in Open Play you’ll encounter other commanders in a galaxy where friendly fire is always on. Rogue commanders are those pilots who have betrayed the Pilots federation by turning on their own; those pilots can carry huge bounties, making them prime targets for skilled hunters.
And combat pilots now face a new challenge, rising from the shadows. Combat pilots are humanity’s frontline against the Thargoid alien incursion. The Aegis research initiative has been created to arm and equip Commanders with experimental technology to defend the galaxy from the Thargoids.
There are credits to be made taking on assassination missions, hunting criminals or being a mercenary for the galaxy’s superpowers. Arm your ship, choose your battles and take on the galaxy. Combat offers direct progression to the rank of Elite.

There is PvP and it is by design. We can interdict, fire upon, hatch break, etc. other players. But it isn't a good PvP game... far, far from it. The game would be SO much better if there was team-based, compelling PvP in the Open environment/sandbox. But alas, the devs caved to the crying carebears.

NB: griefer =/= PvP player IMO.

There is PvP and it is by design. We can interdict, fire upon, hatch break, etc. other players. But it isn't a good PvP game... far, far from it. The game would be SO much better if there was team-based, compelling PvP in the Open environment/sandbox. But alas, the devs caved to the crying carebears.

NB: greifer =/= PvP player IMO.

Powerplay. I always believed pp should be open only. I dont pvp anymore. But I fully support pp in open only.

It’s a cutthroat galaxy out there and you’ll need combat skills to survive. Whether you’re a trader, miner, explorer or dedicated combat pilot, you’ll need to be ready to stand your ground and fight.
Like a lot of the marketing material it's describing a different game, of course - FE2, perhaps, or maybe the original Elite.

In Elite Dangerous:
- traders and miners can fit some shields and high-wake. Their attacker is unlikely to be there next time.
- explorers are not going to attract any NPC opposition beyond the low-level ambient pirates. Those will scan and leave without a shot if the explorer has no cargo.
- sure, dedicated combat pilots probably need to be able to do some damage to their targets.

It's more fun to shoot back at the NPCs, of course, but it's hardly a requirement.

So it's probably not a surprise, having learned in the first day that all of this was largely untrue, that it comes as a shock to some people a month or two later that it was mostly right about the PvP bit.

Powerplay. I always believed pp should be open only. I dont pvp anymore. But I fully support pp in open only.

Trouble is, it wasn't advertised as such so now there'll be people wailing that they do PP in Solo etc.

Probably better to create something new, similar to PP, and set it up as OO from the start.

Trouble is, it wasn't advertised as such so now there'll be people wailing that they do PP in Solo etc.

Probably better to create something new, similar to PP, and set it up as OO from the start.
You're absolutely right. Powerplay is just another fun feature that frontier just seemed to stop caring about. Doesn't help that the guy who created it is gone. Just like multicrew and thargoids.
My fear if they scrap powerplay and build something else they will forget about it too.

I'm 37 and had a computer since I was tiny. I played Wolf 3d, Doom, warcraft 2, hexen & heretic 1 & 2 when they came out. I was too young to actually talk to knowledgeable people about gaming back then, wasn't until I saw Goldeneye on n64 that I even knew FPS was at it's best during PVP. My friends would get annoyed because I didn't want to play Mario Cart circuit mode, I just wanted to do battle mode all day every day. Before anyone even coined the term PVP, I was a pvper.

Hahahahaweeeeeeee. Worst attempt at an appeal to authority ever posted on this forum (so well done besting RV's brilliant work from last week)

Elite is a PvP-enabled, open-world game. That's the facts, man.

PvP is not all the game is about, of course, but it certainly exists. PvP pilots are only a small fraction of the playerbase, but we're very dedicated, and seem to know more about the game mechanics than Fdev does at times. I will say there's a big difference between actually being a skilled pilot, and ganking paper planes in Deciat. You can always do both, of course. At the end of the day, it's still a PvP encounter lol.

There are other modes to play in, for those who wish to avoid any of it entirely. The other option is to put forth a minimal amount of effort into learning basic survival skills. Fighting back takes quite a bit more, but is very rewarding if you go that route. Once you understand that you're gonna blow up sometimes, its all smooth sailing. Most of the PvP community has insane numbers of rebuys-- I'm pushing 700 myself.

It is only game, why you heff to be mad?

Whether one decides to git gud, or play peacefully in solo/PG doesn't matter much to me. So long as they don't do uh... this nonsense, they're cool with me.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
There is PvP and it is by design. We can interdict, fire upon, hatch break, etc. other players.
Those who choose to play among other players, maybe - not all other players.
But it isn't a good PvP game... far, far from it.
In the Engineers launch stream DBOBE agreed when asked, that it wasn't sold as a PvP game.
Source: https://youtu.be/gEtHu3AXw2Q?list=ULgEtHu3AXw2Q&t=2650

The game would be SO much better if there was team-based, compelling PvP in the Open environment/sandbox. But alas, the devs caved to the crying carebears.
From the outset, over seven-and-a-half years ago, the game design has included the three game modes and shared galaxy state. It's not so much a case of Frontier "caving" to players who eschew PvP - it's that they designed the game from the ground up to accommodate them. A game where PvP is not designed to dominate any game feature (apart from CQC).

Top Bottom