PVP in ED? Enough already, this isn't a PVP game. Forums plugged up, too much.

This guy is talking about the advertising saying this is a "cutthroat galaxy" or whatever the advertising says. Which by the way, if you are going to use advertising lines as your argument, you might as well not even talk, unless it explicitly said "integral exciting PVP game". And we all know it does't.

No it doesn't. It doesn't say anything about "you'll get ganked by players just like in UO 1997". It's pathetically laughable how much players are trying to turn the verbage on a box into their argument. The mere fact NPC's regularily interdict players is "cut throat" enough to satisfy that advertising.

I was a ganker in Diablo 1 and UO for years. It was exciting, and before you even talk, I am inside your head. I already know your thoughts and arguments, I was YOU possibly before you were even born. Then I played Darkfall for many years and fought against the gankers (if you don't know what darkfall is, it was a WOW type game with FPS combat and built for PVP- sorta). Then I realized MMORPG's (Elite, arguably) are not well suited to PVP. I play League of Legends and Mordhau/Chivalry 98% of my game time now, games that are actually PVP games, designed from the ground up for it. Elite dangerous, a pvp game? What a SUPER bad joke to try to maintain.

This is just another WOW clone with different clothing, never really a PVP game, has PVP added on to it. Literally every discussion of this is objectively stupid. It's a tertiary part of ED, and a small subset of players try to make it into a big thing in this game. You are welcome to have a different opinion, but you are completely wrong.

I'm 37 and had a computer since I was tiny. I played Wolf 3d, Doom, warcraft 2, hexen & heretic 1 & 2 when they came out. I was too young to actually talk to knowledgeable people about gaming back then, wasn't until I saw Goldeneye on n64 that I even knew FPS was at it's best during PVP. My friends would get annoyed because I didn't want to play Mario Cart circuit mode, I just wanted to do battle mode all day every day. Before anyone even coined the term PVP, I was a pvper.

And this game ain't a gently caressing PVP game. But everytime I look at the forums I have to sift through numerous threads about Open. This is a PVP game like WOW was a PVP game. Yeah, it had open world pvp possible, even though I thought I was a "leet pvper" and sought it out it was rare, and unsatisfying. That game had instanced PVP battlegrounds, everyone was tuned into PVP and more or less prepared for it. Just like CQC. Elite dangerous main game has no balance, it also has no goals (regarding pvp, there is no "match").

This STUPID arguing about Open mode, has been going on 5 years now, WHY EVEN WASTE A THOUGHT ABOUT IT, let alone threads and posts and hours of your lives debating it? It isn't going to change, and people are fools for wasting your time thinking about it. I just wasted 5 minutes typing this up out of frustration there are almost 0 quality threads I can read about ED, it's all about Open mode. For all I know, there is new information about Odyssey on page 2, but I don't click it because it's probably more whining.

Actual "pvpers" play games like Fortnite/PUBG, CS, Overwatch,Valorant, Moba's, RTS

In the space MMORPG i'd Suggest Vendette Online for PVP

Elite: Safe (not very dangerous), cool title.

lol....

TidD4jX.png

Very valid.

The only interesting thing is, pve players have to do a very significant amount of pretending to fill the gaps in the content provided. So it doesn't sound strange if pvp has to as well.

They don't tell you on the door but they built a simulator. Just as there's no story there's also no practical lobbies or leaderboards. Simulator.

Hahahahaweeeeeeee. Worst attempt at an appeal to authority ever posted on this forum (so well done besting RV's brilliant work from last week)
Hey congrats on finishing your first year of university and learning the phrase "appeal to authority". Everyone here is proud of you. rofl

Wow. Notwithstanding any merits your other propositions have, that's quite the appeal from authority. You do know how old most of us are, right?

Wolf3D, that's cute. How many CMDRs on here cut their teeth on Island of Kesmai and MUD1s?
I'm very interested in hearing your non anecdotal evidence on the average age of an ED player. I heard there was 18k players online last week. Pray tell

And with this masterpiece of a thread, you will finally resolve all conflicts, and end all discussion on the subject? 😂
Why even waste a thought about it - yes, why? Would you like to explain for yourself?
Or should I call the police? Is some deranged PvP fan holding you captive and forcing you to write forum treatises on PvP, your one weakness!?
I really like what you did there made me chuckle.

There is PvP and it is by design. We can interdict, fire upon, hatch break, etc. other players. But it isn't a good PvP game... far, far from it. The game would be SO much better if there was team-based, compelling PvP in the Open environment/sandbox. But alas, the devs caved to the crying carebears.
Plus 1 for the factual statements in the first part of that paragraph. Minus 4 for the childish and obnoxious “carebear” insult in the last sentence.

This guy is talking about the advertising saying this is a "cutthroat galaxy" or whatever the advertising says. Which by the way, if you are going to use advertising lines as your argument, you might as well not even talk, unless it explicitly said "integral exciting PVP game". And we all know it does't.

No it doesn't. It doesn't say anything about "you'll get ganked by players just like in UO 1997". It's pathetically laughable how much players are trying to turn the verbage on a box into their argument. The mere fact NPC's regularily interdict players is "cut throat" enough to satisfy that advertising.

I was a ganker in Diablo 1 and UO for years. It was exciting, and before you even talk, I am inside your head. I already know your thoughts and arguments, I was YOU possibly before you were even born. Then I played Darkfall for many years and fought against the gankers (if you don't know what darkfall is, it was a WOW type game with FPS combat and built for PVP- sorta). Then I realized MMORPG's (Elite, arguably) are not well suited to PVP. I play League of Legends and Mordhau/Chivalry 98% of my game time now, games that are actually PVP games, designed from the ground up for it. Elite dangerous, a pvp game? What a SUPER bad joke to try to maintain.

This is just another WOW clone with different clothing, never really a PVP game, has PVP added on to it. Literally every discussion of this is objectively stupid. It's a tertiary part of ED, and a small subset of players try to make it into a big thing in this game. You are welcome to have a different opinion, but you are completely wrong.

I'm 37 and had a computer since I was tiny. I played Wolf 3d, Doom, warcraft 2, hexen & heretic 1 & 2 when they came out. I was too young to actually talk to knowledgeable people about gaming back then, wasn't until I saw Goldeneye on n64 that I even knew FPS was at it's best during PVP. My friends would get annoyed because I didn't want to play Mario Cart circuit mode, I just wanted to do battle mode all day every day. Before anyone even coined the term PVP, I was a pvper.

And this game ain't a gently caressing PVP game. But everytime I look at the forums I have to sift through numerous threads about Open. This is a PVP game like WOW was a PVP game. Yeah, it had open world pvp possible, even though I thought I was a "leet pvper" and sought it out it was rare, and unsatisfying. That game had instanced PVP battlegrounds, everyone was tuned into PVP and more or less prepared for it. Just like CQC. Elite dangerous main game has no balance, it also has no goals (regarding pvp, there is no "match").

This STUPID arguing about Open mode, has been going on 5 years now, WHY EVEN WASTE A THOUGHT ABOUT IT, let alone threads and posts and hours of your lives debating it? It isn't going to change, and people are fools for wasting your time thinking about it. I just wasted 5 minutes typing this up out of frustration there are almost 0 quality threads I can read about ED, it's all about Open mode. For all I know, there is new information about Odyssey on page 2, but I don't click it because it's probably more whining.

Actual "pvpers" play games like Fortnite/PUBG, CS, Overwatch,Valorant, Moba's, RTS

And yet you start another thread about it?!?

(I mean, yay for no PvP! Engineering would have been so much easier to implement and dev time wouldn't be wasted on PvP balancing rubbish. As a bonus there'd be no more gankers. Absolutely okay in my book.)

I liked his post.
I too was a thief in uo. Played it for 4 years. Nothing better than robbing some shiny doods house after watching him deposit his armour and deeds! Oh l wanted deeds....
That was about 1995 perhaps earlier. I'm 54 so l woulda been 29 there abouts which makes the Op 12 ! And l tip my hat to him playing a complex game at such a young age.
Perhaps he doesn't realise alot of us are older too. And remember Uo planeshift etc etc.
He is also right about pvpers being a minority.
I'm glad they are!..
But the rest wow....suffice to say all us pvpers are thus scolded and told not to whiny salty post anymore.
To remain silent and allow the majority to dictate the games style and future developments presuming fdev take any of our ideas to beta.
So to all my PvP muckers be you gankers or goodys.... shushhhh silence!!
Say nowt let em win.
Consider yourselves muted.

Deleted member 192138

D

1v1mebro

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator

I have stopped reading here, because this last (highlighted by me) bit sentence make your arguments and the rest of your OP moot. Why? Because it's an opinion, not a fact.

You are trying to invalidate someone's argument which is based on a fact (what is clearly written on the webpage for everyone to see) with an opinion, rather than another fact. That makes discussing it quite pointless.

Top Bottom