Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod

This is amazing work CMDR!

I've been using your .ini files since you first released them, and then got into hunting and turning particular shaders on and off. I thought I wanted to turn off the fog in the Borann asteroid field, but I was wrong :) It was so messy without it.

I was wondering if you could please give us a 5 min tutorial on how to replace / recolour textures? I tried to follow the youtube tutorial (the cartoon japanese girl) but got a bit lost. Even a simple example would help so much

Thank you!
Georj

Last edited:
I was wondering if you could please give us a 5 min tutorial on how to replace / recolour textures? I tried to follow the youtube tutorial (the cartoon japanese girl) but got a bit lost. Even a simple example would help so much
A five minute tutorial, you say? I'll get right on that, after I finish my five minute tutorial on general relativity and quantum mechanics :p

(writing shader code is nowhere near as trivial as editing an .ini file)

i am. double checked it.
The only thing I can think of is that something else is intercepting key presses, blocking 3DMigoto. I turn off Steam Overlay and all other "overlay" software, so try that. If that's not the problem, then I honestly have no idea..

Just a PSA for newbs like me: When the last update/patch hit, the mod didn't work at all for me anymore. I was just about to put in a post talking about hashes being messed up with the new patch when I found out, thanks to Notepad++, that all of the 3DMigoto and my .ini file got deleted as part of the patch. All I had to do was to put the files back in again and everything is back to it's glorious "normal" (not really normal since my game looks so much more awesome thanks to your mod, @Old Duck , thank you!)

Another before and after picture of the sun (more shader work). I like my suns BRIGHT.

Sun Before.jpg

Sun After.jpg

Note - this is an M-class star, so it's not going to be that bright.

Sooo... This is all pretty awesome and great but... Are you going to make it available to us at some point?
I mean, you got the power to un-redify the Krait Phantom's interior, make local stars brighter, recolour the milky way and do other amazing stuff. This thread is like a carrot dangling in front of my face! :D

Sooo... This is all pretty awesome and great but... Are you going to make it available to us at some point?
I mean, you got the power to un-redify the Krait Phantom's interior, make local stars brighter, recolour the milky way and do other amazing stuff. This thread is like a carrot dangling in front of my face! :D
I don't know if I will ever be able to release everything I'm doing. I will soon release the desaturated skybox and bright sun shaders, as these have nothing remotely doing with cosmetics, and see what Frontier says. They've been silent regarding me modding the game and making certain features (like turning off HUD clutter) public, but I have a feeling they would take notice if I start touching a potential future revenue stream like internal cosmetics and custom decals.... Anybody from Frontier like to comment on this?

I don't know if I will ever be able to release everything I'm doing. I will soon release the desaturated skybox and bright sun shaders, as these have nothing remotely doing with cosmetics, and see what Frontier says. They've been silent regarding me modding the game and making certain features (like turning off HUD clutter) public, but I have a feeling they would take notice if I start touching a potential future revenue stream like internal cosmetics and custom decals.... Anybody from Frontier like to comment on this?
I mean, Obsidian Ant kinda made it public for whoever missed your thread so far...
I totally get that you wouldn't just release the decal shaders or anything else that would change things too drastically. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that as well.
But the star shaders isn't anything Reshade couldn't do as well (though far less precise. I actually made a preset that brightens up stars as well) and recolouring ship interiors also can't be done via ARX cosmetics.
I don't have words for how much I hate the red interior of the Krait Phantom. I love the ship to bits, but why did they decide for such an invasive colour?!?
Red colour would never be a default for any interior.

@Old Duck, any chance you can look at my butchered config, show me how to separate turning off the upper HUD & space dust. Currently turning off the HUD does both.

Btw, back when we where using the DK2 for VR in 2015, we where all using these shader mods, devs didn't mind at all. HMD's used to act like normal monitors, so we had access to regular tools floating around.

Sorry mate, heres the ini file

[Constants]
global $showHUD = 0
global $showInteriorLights = 1
global $ambientLight = 0
global $showBody = 1
global $extraPerformance = 0

[keyToggleHUD]
Key = VK_F1
run = CommandListToggleHud

[keyToggleFSS]
; This turns HUD on for FSS, and off when finished using FSS (I use X for FSS)
Key = x
run = CommandListToggleHud

[keyToggleLights]
Key = VK_F2
run = CommandListToggleLights

[keyToggleAmbientLight]
Key = VK_F3
run = CommandListToggleAmbientLight

[keyToggleBody]
Key = VK_F4
run = CommandListToggleBody

[CommandListToggleHud]
$showHUD = 1 - $showHUD

[CommandListToggleAmbientLight]
$ambientLight = 1 - $ambientLight

[CommandListToggleBody]
$showBody = 1 - $showBody

; -------------------------- This section contains the actual filters ----------------------------

; Make space BLACK by removing interstellar dust and galactic core. Very good for IRL skybox.
; I currently have this toggled opposite of cockpit lights, so when I turn off the lights, my
; "virtual eyes" adjust to allow me to see nebula, dust, etc.
;[ShaderOverrideInterstellarDust]
;Hash=4db942934cad0b29
;if $showInteriorLights == 1
; Handling=skip
;endif

;[ShaderOverrideInterstellarDustAlt]
;Hash=473e4ad6b4c7ce26
;Handling=skip

; HDR Shadows (removes ambient lighting from space). Very realistic around the bubble in most cases.
; I've assigned this to a key toggle, because there are scenarios where ambient light makes sense,
; like on the surface of a well-lit planet.
[ShaderOverrideAmbientLight]
Hash=74820d78ce4aae61
if $ambientLight == 0
Handling=skip
endif

; Remove ship comet tails and glow from Supercruise. You'll still see these when on top
; of another ship, but not from across the solar system as is the default
[ShaderOverrideSupercruiseComets]
Hash=e29d91120fc28c8e
Handling=skip
[ShaderOverrideSupercruiseCometSmoke]
Hash=1d65f3ee6b08bef9
Handling=skip

; Remove all "outside" HUD elements - circles around planets, labels, etc. It makes looking out
; the window feel just like that. This can be toggled using the appropriate key.
; NOTE - two shaders affect this, 74a61bc54382d4d9 and e61a98e9d493cdea (the latter retains glass)
[ShaderOverrideCanopyHUD]
Hash=e61a98e9d493cdea
if $showHUD == 0
Handling=skip
endif

;[ShaderOverrideArtificialHorizon]
;Hash=e61a98e9d493cdea
;if $showHUD == 0
; Handling=skip
;endif

;[ShaderOverrideDSSTronPlanets]
;Hash=abb57399a1eaf6ce
;if $showHUD == 0
; Handling=skip
;endif

; Remove the particles that move past the ship when in normal flight. I've tied this to HUD because
; I toggle HUD on for combat and mining, where space "debris" makes more sense and gives indication
; of my ship's vectors and velocities.
[ShaderOverrideSnow]
Hash=06b5574cbb67cb5c
if $showHUD == 0
Handling=skip
endif

; Remove the "speed lines" on each side of the cockpit when in Supercruise. I never need these, so
; they are just always off (feel free to toggle them with HUD if you prefer).
[ShaderOverrideSpeedLines]
Hash=89fe00881332dc43
Handling=skip

; Disable HUD "sidelines". Do these even have a purpose?
[ShaderOverrideUselessHUDLines]
Hash=178045604e0b329c
Handling=skip

; Make Holographic Panels "transparent" by removing the background shadow. It may be harder to read
; in certain locations like bright stations. Does not affect station menu. Looks great in VR IMO.
;[ShaderOverrideHUDShadow]
;Hash=01c3486d3211f924
;Handling=skip

; Remove certain "cheap" smoke effects - overheating control panel smoke, etc.
[ShaderOverrideSmoke]
Hash=c2b2613be56251fb
Handling=skip

; Turn off advanced shadows in asteroid belts, without removing other shadows (for performance in VR)
[ShaderOverrideRingShadows]
Hash=54f9383e5a4f43a8
if $extraPerformance == 1
Handling=skip
endif

; Turn off Interior lights. This turns off annoying flashing red lights, but it also turns off
; some external lights as well (including station lights). Recommended for miners. Toggle with key.
;[ShaderOverrideCockpitLights]
;Hash=8330ab10a104d1b1
;if $showInteriorLights == 0
; Handling=skip
;endif

; Turn off Holome in chair. I use this for when I walk around in VR
;[ShaderOverrideBody]
;Hash=32c295b65c925a9a
;if $showBody == 0
; Handling=skip
;endif

Last edited:
I mean, Obsidian Ant kinda made it public for whoever missed your thread so far...
He made public that I've been playing around on my own personal computer. That's a very different thing than releasing the actual shader files to the public. That's why I'll start small, with just a couple of shaders, and we'll see what Frontier says. I must admit, Frontier's silence seems a bit "permissive", as they could easily have sent me a PM warning me not to publish the shaders if that was an issue. I suspect it's a bit a murky topic, since shaders are kinda like HTML - the code is there for anyone to access for those who know how. It doesn't require any sort of "hacking" or even accessing any of ED's files. Viewing shader code is really not much different than right-clicking and selecting "View Page Source" on this web page, from a technical perspective.

If you're not changing any of their files directly, I don't see that they can realistically do anything about it. Having said said that, it would be nice to hear "crack on! we love what you're doing". Doubt you'll ever hear anything, though.

Great work. I stumbled on this thread while searching for 'No Hud'. I wanted to get rid of the circles etc around targets/starts/planets/etc. I knew the ctrl+alt+G trick but that removes too much (interior). So in the OP the nohud is what I was looking for. Great. I'm interested and playing around with the other tweaks.

Last edited:
I have checked something.

In vanilla ED when in supercruise travelling to a spacestation (target) I see the Ring around the station AND a (visual) 'star' which is the station.
Now when I do ALT-CTRL-G, which removes all hud, the visual 'star' of the station is still visible, the ring around of course is gone (no hud)

But ... when I use the OP mod, I loose the hud AND the visual 'star' ... So where is the 'star' representation of the station gone? Probably in one of the handling=skip steps but which one? I'm still looking at that because I want my 'star' station back but all HUD gone

Hope this makes sense

Yes, now I am grinding for fuel, LOL.
Buy me some Tritium :p
So do you take donations? Do you want tritium or diamonds? I'd like to show some appreciation for all your hard work so far. Where is your carrier and what's it called?

Regarding shaders, specifically the HUD shaders, is there a way to alter some things without adjusting others? For example, I'd like to have red enemies and green friends, both on radar and in space, with green targeting circles and modules, but a red-based HUD, which I can't do with the normal one (I've tried...). So for example, is there a way to make a shader which only changes some things (radar+space & module+lead circle) while allowing the rest to be customised? The problem with the normal HUD is that some things can't be changed independently.

Top Bottom