General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Sunny day today.
We have road traffic like before. Restaurants open, got us BBQ. Cooking some chilli now.

One other doctor had to get emergency surgery last week, from where I work.

If Covid had shut down surgery services, both of us would be dead today. Even with massive prep for the epidemic, thousands invested in gear, a hospital service at our disposal, and an ICU under our personal jurisdiction, and 5 decades of medical training between us.
We'd still have died without the external services of others, and a functional civilization, with power, roads, law enforcement, ambulances, pathologists, garbage collection, etc.

It's important to be grateful for whatever benefits we still enjoy. Don't take it for granted. Things go bad, you can very rapidly find out how ineffective you become, no matter your efforts, friends, training, and resources.

Take care cmdrs. See you in the Black.
Yes, the human civilizations are very fragile. And the life is very precious. The human should be much more calm and reasonable.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

It's s shame you guys don't take medical emergencies equally seriously elsewhere. :p

Our police had to disband huge crowds of dutch tourists who were not exactly respecting anything even closely resembling social distancing.

The president of the scientific council in France declared: "The French have abandoned the barrier gestures". 🤨

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Yes, the human civilizations are very fragile.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
I doubt it. Civilization is the path of least resistance. Any chaos situation will eventually fall back to some form of civilization.
Even during the Black Death, civilization in Europe remained and progressed shortly after.

I doubt it. Civilization is the path of least resistance. Any chaos situation will eventually fall back to some form of civilization.
Even during the Black Death, civilization in Europe remained and progressed shortly after.
Yes but nowadays there is global warming, overpopulation, pollution and depletion of resources that will not improve the things.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

... no new data ..? Too busy unlockdowning? .. waiting for next wave? Nothing unpolitical to say for a minute?
:)
I’m fine with gaps in posts til new
content, no point going in circles.

Well I finally got to see my parents for the first time since early March! Wanted to hug my mum so bad!! Good visit though, hard breathing through a mask!!

Nah, I'm just resigned to the fact that people are stupid.

I live in a state with basically no restrictions. The only real restriction we have left is other people can't come in because their leaders were not as smart mine. It's so hilariously stupid, we now have people trying to smuggle themselves into my state. If they had told their leaders "No you're morons, we can't lift restrictions yet!" when they had the chance they'd be where we are too. In fact then, we'd all have no restrictions. 🤷‍♂️

There's been a lot of misleading news about testing.

So much so than one of my co-streamers shared some of the misinformation during our stream (not sure why it was brought up, we avoid politics, news, etc while gaming)

So I did a little searching to set the record straight and found two helpful websites you folks might find interesting:

- Testing by Country:
As opposed to the common belief mentioned during our livestream, the USA is not doing a comparably bad job at testing :-(

In fact, the USA (3rd largest country by population) has tested more people "per capita" then the 7 other largest countries. combined.

Yes, its true that the numbers show Russia (#9) and UK (#21) have reported testing more per capita, but after that the next country to do better is the city state Singapore (112th in population size) with it's 5.9 million residents.

Could it be better? Sure - anything can. But is the USA currently doing relatively good with testing? These numbers suggest they are.

- Huge spike in cases:
I find it odd that nobody talks about the huge spike in testing?

Granted some places are seeing a spike in hospitalizations, not unexpected with the bored unemployed masses congregating in certain areas to party or protest.

But this chart does a great job of showing how a spike in testing results in a spike in newly discovered cases.

In the end, we all just need to social distance and practice good hygene. Even after the COVID-19 vaccines come out, since the common flu takes 30k to 70k lives in the USA each year.

o7

In the end, we all just need to social distance and practice good hygene. Even after the COVID-19 vaccines come out, since the common flu takes 30k to 70k lives in the USA each year.

o7
Very true. In Norway we have had fewer deaths during the Corona period, than any period over the the last twenty years. The restrictions we have had has greatly reduced infections of all kinds. Biting the tail of the regular flu period, has of course had the greatest impact.

In my area, staff and customers must both wear masks. Retail establishments will turn away non-masked customers.

This was only announced today - to come in on the 24th. But I'm struggling to see how you'll get customer "mandatory fine enforceable" co-operation if it isn't mandatory for shop staff - though many will be wearing them anyway.

In fact, the USA (3rd largest country by population) has tested more people "per capita" then the 7 other largest countries. combined.

Not sure what you mean by 'combined' - you can't add up tests/M and get a meaningful number (though it is good for ranking). I think most people would agree that the US has been doing a lot of testing - even months ago there was a lot of testing in the US - you do have quite a good infrastructure for that.

Yes, its true that the numbers show Russia (#9) and UK (#21) have reported testing more per capita, but after that the next country to do better is the city state Singapore (112th in population size) with it's 5.9 million residents.
I don't think that high test rate is getting you into a great club - both UK and Russia have had larger numbers of infected people than a lot of other countries - hence they have large numbers of tests. Both were also countries where the leadership denied there was an issue for probably too long. Developed countries like US / UK / Russia etc that didn't control the virus ended up doing more tests, but also had a higher positive rate as the tests were basically confirming people with symptoms actually had the virus.

The countries with good test regimes caught the infections early - and with the reduction in infections comes a reduction in tests. So places like S.Korea/Germany tested a lot of people, but once they had it under control they only needed to test a sample to determine whether the virus was under control. I'm still a bit surprised by those numbers as when I checked the same site a few months back I thought places like Germany had higher numbers - shame they have no charts for tests over time.

The John Hopkins view of tests per State are interesting https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/tracker/overview - some states have lots of testing but low (current) case numbers (New York and other close states that are recovering), others have lots of tests and lots of cases (Texas and a lot of the south that are having issues with hospital capacity now). I guess the scary ones are places like Indiana which has less testing but cases seem to be rising.

Unfortunately I fear that the Westerners will have to do like the Asians for years, wear the mask all year, even without an epidemic.

But I hope we will avoid this uncomfortable lifestyle.

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

Unfortunately I fear that the Westerners will have to do like the Asians for years, wear the mask all year, even without an epidemic.

But I hope we will avoid this uncomfortable lifestyle.

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

I don't think that that will happen.

But who knows - this is the first time for 100 years that the west has been affected to this degree so there may be some ongoing mask reaction post epidemic. Obviously in parts of Asia they were harder hit by other viruses in more recent times which presumably gave rise to their mask wearing.

But I think here it will only last as long as there is some significant amount of virus in the population or, until there is an effective vaccine.

It will get people thinking about personal distancing and hygiene in the meantime and who knows that may even have a suppressing effect on seasonal flu mask or no mask.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom