Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

The FDL is a monster, but needs some adjustmemt to flying for maximum pew, I think :) The low-slung huge hardpoint results in limited firing arc above the nose with gimbals, and you have to be more precise about flying because of that. Just getting the target in the general vicinity of the centre and opening up doesn't work, as I've found out the hard way :D

But once you have gotten that idea, or can work with fixed weapons, it is a total beast. It's a ship you can throw around and run rings round larger targets, whilst being agile enough to swat the little annoyances like Eagles and Couriers with a bit of practice.

And "looks lush"? Are you by any chance from the Bristol area, or thereabouts? Like what I is?

I think when I got the ship, foolishly, I just thought I'd be able to get in it and kill whatever I liked. Obviously most ships need some work and tuning and getting used to. As combat is my weakest card to play, I just passed on it.

Not from Bristol, though I am very intrigued with Bristol. I have been there, it had/has(?) a great subculture/counterculture. Good music scene, graffiti/art scene, sense of its own identity. No, I learned the term from my parents who were both hippies, they used to say it all the time. Before they became right wing bigots, as did a load of those hippies, but that's another story for another forum.

My first serious hazres work with my FdL. Interesting how different it is to the Cutter! (Obvious I know!).
I have an FDL, but it's languishing. It doesn't even have weapons on it at the moment because I moved them elsewhere.

I prefer big battleships for fighting, really, mostly because dogfighting is a) boring to me, and b) boring to me.

How I got to Dangerous rating is still a mystery.

I named my FDL "Lazy Maisy" just because.

Here's a glamor shot. I did buy a paint job at some point. I don't remember when :)

Screenshot_0604.jpg

Deleted member 38366

D
I keep finding nice things but not what I'm looking for lol.... Still makes up for alot, better than nothing ;)

Now playing in my head : U2 - I still haven't found what I'm looking for ... seems a fitting Soundtrack for my Exploration Campaign so far.
I keep buzzing Systems though :)

ELITE-Mercator-SCRN9.jpg

ELITE-Mercator-SCRN10.jpg

ELITE-Mercator-SCRN11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep finding nice things but not what I'm looking for lol.... Still makes up for alot, better than nothing ;)

Now playing in my head : U2 - I still haven't found what I'm looking for ... seems a fitting Soundtrack for my Exploration Campaign so far.
I keep buzzing Systems though :)

ELITE-Mercator-SCRN9.jpg

ELITE-Mercator-SCRN10.jpg

ELITE-Mercator-SCRN11.jpg

Looks like your links broke...

I may take some of the modules from the FdL and put them on a Mamba...
It's funny this discussion happening now, as I am having my most combat-heavy period in the game. I have a Corvette for very heavy engagements or specific missions, and with full engineering and some Guardian tech it's as close to indestructible as I'm going to get. But I like chucking stuff around in a dog fight, so have been switching between Courier, FDL and Mamba. Love them all for different reasons. I took to swapping the weapons loadout over directly between the Mamba and the FDL, just to get a proper like for like comparison. I found the FDL helped me, as to bring the 4A hardpoint onto target took some adjustments to my flying style, changes which I have incorporated into how I fly other ships. So it gave me some good flight training. My conclusions? The Mamba is fast, so can break/remake contact more effectively, and is a proper killing machine, but the turning circles leaves it behind the FDL. It isn't truly chuckable in the same way. So my time on target is reduced a chunk in the Mamba overall, even though I do absolutely love it. I use it a lot, but am conscious throughout that I'd be more effective more quickly in the FDL. We take missions need 40, 50, 60 or more kills and the FDL makes much quicker work of them. But I often take the Mamba because I love it.

The FDL is much more nimble, I have learned to keep the lower hardpoint in play, now, so now I fly it like a slightly larger Courier. It's still quick (boosts over 500 in combat trim) but has lots more time on target. Our wing know how tough I'm expecting to find the fight - Mamba is my go to, if it needs a bit more I take the FDL (Duc D'Angoulême, blue like yours, Tyres, as is my Corvette) and if I think it might be really tough then it's the Corvette with twin fighter bay. But I love all three, for different reasons, and rotate them through combat missions as much as I can. But then, my fourth combat ship is the Water Lily, my Clipper, so perhaps you shouldn't listen to a word I say!

The FDL got me to 'Master' on Sunday. Given how much I still have to learn, that feels an overly-optimistic label. Dangerous will be much more fitting, as it does not specify to whom I am considered a danger.

o7

Last edited:
Thanks Mr. Saint! That's very informative!

My Mamba ("Chocks Away!" in British Racing Green) is en route to Tod Blaster for some MC Hammer time. Needed to adjust some engineering and experimentals and then it's off to a hazres for some dog-fighting. What ho!

Thanks Mr. Saint! That's very informative!

My Mamba ("Chocks Away!" in British Racing Green) is en route to Tod Blaster for some MC Hammer time. Needed to adjust some engineering and experimentals and then it's off to a hazres for some dog-fighting. What ho!
'Chocks Away!' is a wonderful name. Makes me want to nab it, maybe for a green Eagle or something. My Mamba is a very stern and serious 'Agamemnon'.

Well, so far, purely for me and IMHO, mamba > FdL. Time will tell though.
Sexiness often wins the debate!! Frankly, both are amazing. If you told me I couldn't fly one for a month, it wouldn't be that bad. I copied @Codger's paint job and frankly I linger on the loading screen and in outfitting just staring at it.
I also love both for different reasons. FdL looks amazing with the up-swept wings and big spoiler while Mamba's kit is somewhat meh, but she looks great stock so it doesn't matter.
Both sound great and fly great and both have a satisfying weapon gimmick (Mamba has all hardpoints on top with nice C1s for rails and FdL has that sweet sweet C4)

Sadly I only use one at a time and switch only occasionally because I'm lazy to engineer a second set of internals, but honestly, arguing which of these two is a better ship is a tough call.
...so I'm not gonna do it. :LOL:

Top Bottom