Patch Notes Fleet Carriers Update - Patch 4 Patch Notes

Did you mine Tritium from subsurface deposits?
What kind of hotspot / overlap was this ?

I am asking because I do NOT consider myself a "very efficient" miner or "very skilled" pilot and I manage to mine from SubSurfaceDeposits 160-200+t Tri per hour in any single Tri hotspot.
That's why when I see someone's result MUCH lower I assume first it's problem of chosing wrong tool or wrong spot.

Of course I may just underestimate my skills by being too harsh on myself - when I do a mining run I notice my mistakes / not efficient choices / sloppy maneuvers frequently.
That session was mined in a single Void Opal Hotspot, using Laser, SSD & Seismic (when I found a rock core to blow) techniques. I'd tried random prospecting, going after 'hot rocks' with my pulse scanner. SSD Mining at ease is dependent what Ship you use & how fast the 'roid rotates. I personally found it a frustrating way to Mine - even after I found out where to look & how to detonate my drill!!!
Mining in my Cutter - with prospecter's of 4 max & collecter's of 3 max - yes I know I can improve my set up & having more limpets on the go, but that is my set up.
There are so many variables they will effect your Mining rate, Ship & Ship setup being just two of them.

I must say though that when compared to my Mining of Painite in a double hotspot 12 months ago & Mining for Tritium now...........there's nowhere near enough Tritium in the rings that's vitally needed to fuel FC's.

It's this significant variation in possible Mining rates that is the main factor as to whether a particular player thinks it's viable or not to fuel their Carriers.

It's only hoped that Frontier can sort out this mess quickly, which is hindering every Miner's activity!

With regards to the abrasion bug, makes no difference whether you SSD or not.

I went VO core mining just for larks, didn't even bring the SSD missiles.

First three VO cores were fine, cracking and abrasion.

Then I came across an LTD core. Didn't touch it, wasn't there for those.

After that it got weird, there were ghost asteroids (no roid but floating SSD deposits), untargetable fissures on core roids and my abrasion blaster stopped working.

I'm not sure on the correlation between me prospecting the LTD roid and everything going mammaries up, but the main point is SSDs make no difference.

(...)
Mining in my Cutter - with prospecter's of 4 max & collecter's of 3 max - yes I know I can improve my set up & having more limpets on the go, but that is my set up.
(...)

Cutter is a beast for laser mining.
But SSD mining in a Cutter is just painful if you try to deplete a (fast) rotating rock.

Try to build in a smaller, agile ship.

I use Krait for this task.
It has only 128t of cargo, but I park my FC at the mining spot anyway, so it's trading a few extra minutes per 128t for much less annoying mining experience.

I don't even bother equipping it with lasers - there are only two free slots left after equipping
SSD launcher,
abrasion blaster and
seismic launcher,
what makes laser mining too time consuming - especially now, that high % Tritium asteroids are near to impossible to find.

I just put spare SSD launchers to avoid synthesizing charges - they use raw materials that I need for other purposes and switch to next one on when I run out of ammo.

Don't bother with fast rotating / irregular shape asteroids until you get much better in this.

There is usually plenty of SSD to choose from after every a 4 prospectors salvo.

Avoid Tritium overlaps.
Try Single Tritium hotspot, or Tri/LTD Tri/VO.
Don't ask why, but they give me best yields.

My Krait SSD mining build:

I won't argue with that.
Inconsistent experiences are one of the reasons we have do different opinions on this patch.

Î was always able to do pick up surface deposits IF I did not hit touch the core rock with anything but seismic launchers.

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
With regards to the abrasion bug, makes no difference whether you SSD or not.

I went VO core mining just for larks, didn't even bring the SSD missiles.

First three VO cores were fine, cracking and abrasion.

Then I came across an LTD core. Didn't touch it, wasn't there for those.

After that it got weird, there were ghost asteroids (no roid but floating SSD deposits), untargetable fissures on core roids and my abrasion blaster stopped working.

I'm not sure on the correlation between me prospecting the LTD roid and everything going mammaries up, but the main point is SSDs make no difference.
Are you sure you didn't touch the rock before proceeding to crack it? I learned (from testing it) that even just hitting the rock with your lasers results in the abrasion bug. Never had an issue with it just occurring on its own after a while (or I was just lucky).

Deleted member 182079

D
To be fair though Just Ice, Frontier has to produce gameplay that fits the MAJORITY of it's players.
Not every cmdr is capable of Mining 200T/hr of Tritium or anything for that matter.
I'm no novice at Mining but the best I've got for a 4-5 hour Mining session was about 275T Tritium & 75T VO's.
(Just like Combat, some players argue it's too easy & want Frontier to make Combat harder, but other's struggle & are constantly told to 'git gud').
Frontier can't just base their options upon what the best player's can achieve in each area & stuff the rest of the playerbase.

My opinion is that as a 'fuel' Tritium should never have been placed in rings as a commodity to Mine, this action has had a 'butterfly' effect on every other commodity & Hotspots in those rings.
Too late now, what's done is done, Frontier now have to get the balances right FOR ALL THE MINERS, not just the elite one's...........this could take some time!
Yeah, I think the key point is not that it's possible to fuel your carrier through mining, but that it's simply not fun for the majority of players, even those who enjoy mining (like myself) to go SSD mining for extended periods, which is needed because of the low yields currently.

I always treated SSD mining as the outlier due to the technique required (it's hard work after a short while, and becomes tedious very quickly when you have to solely rely on it, as we do now), very similarly to core mining - it's fun in small doses but doing it exclusively is tiresome because both core & SSD mining are quite fiddly and time consuming, plus it depends what ship you fly (I use a Krait 2 for core & Tritium mining and even in that it's a chore after the first half dozen rocks).

Fingers crossed the situation improves rather dramatically come Monday when it comes to laser mining Tritium, as that is the main issue from my standpoint (apart from the abrasion bug).

Last edited by a moderator:
Cutter is a beast for laser mining.
But SSD mining in a Cutter is just painful if you try to deplete a (fast) rotating rock.

Try to build in a smaller, agile ship.

I use Krait for this task.
You see that's where the problem lies.

I'm in the black, in my Cutter EXPLORING.
My Cutter is set with 450 limpets & gear to laser,SSD, Abrasion & Seismic Mining.
I go out Exploring & if I stumble across an Icy Ring then I'll probe it & check out a LTD or VO, I don't even touch Tritium Hotspots.
I'm moving away from my Carrier all the time, hoping to either go back or move my Carrier to my Cutter once I'v collected enough Mined Trit, LTD's or VO's.

Hence I'm in no position to fill my Cutter or any other Ship, go trade my wares, buy Tritium @40k/T & load my Carrier!

Last edited:
I won't argue with that.
Inconsistent experiences are one of the reasons we have do different opinions on this patch.

Î was always able to do pick up surface deposits IF I did not hit touch the core rock with anything but seismic launchers.

Inconsistent is spot on. I'm still hopping about trying laser mining and the best spot I found was a Tritium / Brommelite overlap where laser mining yields were almost acceptable, (just not quite worth the hours though). Other overlaps have produced nothing, single Trit hotspots have been useless for laser, I'm even hitting more Trit outside hotspots.

OK, just wanted to make sure you know the trigger.

I assume you have forgotten about is,
or... you just needed to add some "dramatic vibe" :
"I am just sitting (...)".

No attacking you, just curious because I admit I do it sometimes myself - write about something that happened earlier,
like it was right now - I find it a "tolerable" trick to spice up content ;)
People ten to react stronger to an event that happens IN THIS MOMENT or just happened.

If you don't completely make up a story, it's not a lie - just "phase-shifted" experience sharing :)

Is it really so inconceivable to you that I came here to check the patch notes? So yes, actually, I was literally sitting in front of it.

Why do you need a full tank? You can always move step by step: jumping, scouting for Tritium, mine, jump. With the scouting part you perfectly mix it with exploring, which finally becomes a compelling reason. Same goes for the mining part of course. And an artificial survival loop with a pinch of an adventure, if you like. That's never going to get old, not for me at least! 😁
I follow your posts, Yes I know that's how you are playing, but others don't play like you do, myself included.
I would prefer to leave the bubble on a full Cargo hold of Tritium & try to, not keep it topped up, but be relatively happy that I've always enough in the tank for a few jumps & I don't have to Mine for 4-5 hours in a fortunate good spot that I may or may not find, just to jump one more time in my Carrier.
While I agree with your comments when others use the term 'my Carrier is stranded', efficiency rates of Mining Tritium are WAY too low at the moment making Exploring in/with a Carrier a Mining chore.

Are you sure you didn't touch the rock before proceeding to crack it? I learned (from testing it) that even just hitting the rock with your lasers results in the abrasion bug. Never had an issue with it just occurring on its own after a while (or I was just lucky).

Pure core mining, no lasers or SSD missiles on me at all. Didn't contact them with my ship either.

First 3 were fine as I said but after that LTD roid popped up.....

With main focus on SSD mining, the right ship for that and a little skill, your 4-5 hours easily shrink to 1-1.5 hours for the next jump. I don't know how you play the game, but every single activity in ED would get boring to me after 4-5 hours doing the same thing. I never could do that, cause that's were the grind is starting for me. But do whatever floats your boat.
Yes, but I think that when Frontier launched the FC's, they were looking at Tritium to be available as a fuel........not a very low priced commodity of riches like VO's & LTD's.

Not sure what you're trying to tell me here. Are we now talking about purchasing Tritium at stations? That's something I can't comment on as I'm completely independent from that.
I'm talking about the scarcity of Tritium & it's inclusion in hotspots.....it should be readily available & easily Mined without the use of 'special' techniques like SSD Mining & hotspots.

All FDEV needed to do was to reduce the LTD fragments from SSD mining (5-7 fragments/missile) to fall in line with every other mineral (1-3 fragments/missile). Am I seriously the only one who saw this?

Haha again.

No, everything is not for everyone, this is no communism simulator.

You have to grind credits / ranks etc to buy some assets.
Like in (almost) every other game.

IMO FCs were too easy to acquire for new players, because credits grinding was OP.

Now, that you may have understood what you were answering to - treating "peasants" LITERALLY is really amusing.

W.T.F?!?! "communism simulator" - first of all, IT'S A GAME, so why bring politics into it?!?!?! Secondly, you have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what communism is if you think that putting everything in the game within reach of all players is "communism"!

No one is disputing that mining had some exploitable glitches that allowed people to accrue credits far too quickly and that likely resulted in an explosion of fleet carriers. From the abrasion blaster bugs of the VO gold-rush to the respawning of SSDs, there are bugs that needed to be patched. No one has any issue with putting in work to acquire reward; it's the AMOUNT of work for little to no reward that is the issue. Now, I realise that you, being the single greatest player the game has ever seen, can drop into a dark ring and pull 30,000T of whatever out in less than 10 minutes and then sell it for 50M credits per ton, but that is not the experience anyone else is having post-patch. The hotspots don't contain the commodities they should, mining, in any form is heavily, heavily nerfed right now, the supply/demand system is overly aggressive and FCs are stranded because tritium is far too expensive to buy in the bubble and damn near impossible to find outside the bubble. Now you can (and will) argue otherwise, but it doesn't matter -- even FDEV have acknowledged this is a problem, hence the reason we are awaiting YET ANOTHER patch.

But, regardless, none of that is what we were talking about; we were talking about the original upkeep costs of fleet carriers and how you said that 200M/week is fine because FCs should be kept out of the hands of, as you term it, "peasants". I was in no way treating your use of the term "peasants" literally, I was simply calling you out by clearly using the term as a perjorative, to describe players who don't have the wealth you do or who acquired it through means you don't agree with.

Last edited by a moderator:
200T/hr

Great

Only 100 hours to fill the tank...
And 10 with 2000t/h, what isn't possible.
Sorry, refilling tank isn't job for solo explorer, understand it.

UP: Go outside, jump to cold water and later you can talk again, turn off emotions, and read to learn.
PS: Yes, not all things should be for all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom