ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Or you can just play the game on your 65" 4K screen and still enjoy it. And/or wait and see what Fdev will reveal about Odyssey in the coming months.

You do have a point though. it sucks that they, for the time being, are not implementing VR in the new update.

Sorry buddy - I'm not sure I made it clear, I appreciate the solidarity (y)

Sorry buddy - I'm not sure I made it clear, I appreciate the solidarity (y)

No problem. I get that VR is a whole experience, and I'd like to play the game in VR at least once. And that it is very hard to convey that feeling as a VR to a non-VR player.

It just kinda felt like you ripped on us 2d players, that 2d is inferior. And I suppose it is in a way to VR. But therefore it seemed you were diminishing our enjoyment of the game, and the way we choose to play it. It could be just my interpretation however. But I just wanted to put that out here.

To me it seems you can just be as immersed in a game in 2D as is in VR. I mean when i played Halo 4, the little bits of helmet you could see around your HUD made me feel like i was wearing the Chief's helmet, that I was him. Even though it was just a picture on my Full HD TV (which is by now almost 10 years old but still working perfectly).

I really hope Fdev will start rolling out the Dev Diaries and provide more information on Odyssey as a whole.

And let's hope VR will come to Odyssey eventually, and if not, try to enjoy the game regardless. It's still awesome!

I saved myself over £1000 on a huge TV screen, I kept my cash and moved my chair forward!
Smebbes you should get one of these:
oculus-thrift-slideshare-1-638.jpg

No problem. I get that VR is a whole experience, and I'd like to play the game in VR at least once. And that it is very hard to convey that feeling as a VR to a non-VR player.

It just kinda felt like you ripped on us 2d players, that 2d is inferior. And I suppose it is in a way to VR. But therefore it seemed you were diminishing our enjoyment of the game, and the way we choose to play it. It could be just my interpretation however. But I just wanted to put that out here.

To me it seems you can just be as immersed in a game in 2D as is in VR. I mean when i played Halo 4, the little bits of helmet you could see around your HUD made me feel like i was wearing the Chief's helmet, that I was him. Even though it was just a picture on my Full HD TV (which is by now almost 10 years old but still working perfectly).

I really hope Fdev will start rolling out the Dev Diaries and provide more information on Odyssey as a whole.

And let's hope VR will come to Odyssey eventually, and if not, try to enjoy the game regardless. It's still awesome!
I'm sorry, as might have came across as a bit hostile, when that was absolutely not my intention. When VR thing first came to light, it was virtually a civil war in this forum and a lot of hostility brewed between a certain vociferous minority of 2d players and the VR players, and in light of what happened then, I guess still subconsciously tend to go in guns blazing when speaking about this topic. I'm genuinely sorry for any latent hostility in that post, as I didn't mean to diss you or diminish your enjoyment of the game.

The first time I got a blown-out canopy in flatscreen ED I thought, “that’s kinda cool” and calmly (-ish) made my way to the nearest station for repairs.

The first time I got a blown-out canopy in VR ED - my first reaction was “Aaaarrgh!!” as all the glass blasted away from me, followed by “that’s very cool” as I could now see my Remlok helmet lines in my peripheral vision, and combined with the “Dave Bowman breathing” audio it really felt like I had on emergency breathing apparatus.

Although I can quite happily lose myself in a 2D game, VR really is the next level, and as others have mentioned it’s one of those things you’ve got to try before you can really understand.

I totally agree, since the VR announcement was made I have logged in once, spent no money on cosmetics (which I was doing a lot of) and not chased my FC dream. When I did log in, I sat in my VR cockpit looked round and knew I would struggle to play on the outside looking in. Logged out and went and did something else.
I so want to fall back in love again but at the moment I just can’t.
My ship is currently deep in the black. I wanted to get 1st scanned on my 1st discovered planets as well as get some more ready for the next DLC. This was before we know what ED:O was going to be but I figured it would include new planet types
Since the no VR (at launch and with no clue how serious they are in their investigations) announcment I have not bothered to log in at all. My motivation to play is gone.
I am sure I will pop back in now and then once my Reverb G2 arrives however but what is the point in my finding new planets now I know there is a good chance I won't get to land on them (I am not planning on playing on a screen. I tried it in the gap between DK2 and CV1 as I thought then I may be losing VR but it was just..... Flat.)

Well, it is what it is, the last statement from the new guy [having his head] on the block was quite telling - FDev is going to look into how we can transition from VR into the Odyssey mechanics.

What in
  • the better case means being allowed to get a bit better resolution texture & bump maps, blue colored skies and a bit of dust particles when flying over dead barren planets and once you land and want to do Odyssey stuff, you get a screen telling you to put off your headset and move over to your monitor (oh, wow, so they spare us logging out and back in again in flat, how remarkable), or in
  • the worse case means you get the same but when trying to orbit around the new VRorbidden atmospheric planets...

Can I get excited about any of these ? Difficult. If the graphics of the planets is really upgraded considerably, including e.g. the icy planet surfaces announced ages ago, I might be mildly interested. But that interest might be killed off very soon if it emerges that important parts with meaningful impact on the space sim game-play will be reserved to those who are willing to sit down at their monitor for this game. As I don't see myself doing this (haven't played a flat FPS since 2-3 years now) I think I will pass. And that will probably mean the entire game will die for me within a couple of months. It just isn't the same if you know that you are kept out of new features of the game, I won't be interested in being a class B citizen in this universe.

FDev obviously have crunched some numbers and maximising the profits with little investment apparently is expected to work best when abandoning parts which create sub-average margins. Expect some new Arx mechanics to be introduced instead, that's probably where they re-directed their freed up development efforts to.

except for moaning about the bad VR implementation the day after.
I would quite happily spend my non-VR moments on that day on the forums telling the moaners to wind their necks in, because the alternative would be available on their monitors. The most basic VR implementation (like on a par with a fan-mod akin to MotherVR for Alien: Isolation) is much more preferable to no VR, in my view.

I’d probably then have a whinge about there still being no orbit lines in the FSS :D

The first time I got a blown-out canopy in flatscreen ED I thought, “that’s kinda cool” and calmly (-ish) made my way to the nearest station for repairs.

The first time I got a blown-out canopy in VR ED - my first reaction was “Aaaarrgh!!” as all the glass blasted away from me, followed by “that’s very cool” as I could now see my Remlok helmet lines in my peripheral vision, and combined with the “Dave Bowman breathing” audio it really felt like I had on emergency breathing apparatus.

Although I can quite happily lose myself in a 2D game, VR really is the next level, and as others have mentioned it’s one of those things you’ve got to try before you can really understand.

Tell the truth, did you hold your breath or time your real breaths to match the cadence of the character's breaths? I know I've done both when losing a canopy in VR 😂

except for moaning about the bad VR implementation the day after.
I think I'd be echoing Arioch telling them to wind their neck in. Apart from which, we've never really whinged about the VR implementation we have just now, which is pretty barebones, things like FSS are a nightmare in VR, but the rest of the game is so awesome in VR* it's worth the compromise.

*VR makes the game more immersive by virtue of putting you inside the game rather than watching it on a picture frame on your desk, this doesn't necessarily mean that Elite's VR implementation is the bogs dollox, its just VR makes all games, including Elite, better.

why?
I find easier to use FSS in VR than in normal mode.
I must admit I have never used it when not in VR so probably wrong but I find it quite usable in VR.
I would like the option of turning on the missing details that are in the flat version tho.
This notion that FD have that no VR is better than basic VR is nuts however.
Could you imagine if they used that logic with the BGS or with the economy or with the law and order.?

To me it seems you can just be as immersed in a game in 2D as is in VR.
Speaking for myself and generally, having played 2D for a while on mouse and keyboard and then with HOTAS/Steering Wheel and pedals, before I got into VR, each time I felt immersed in the game. Each addition changed the way I felt immersed in the game. There was certainly no intention to "rip" on someone for playing in 2D, your feeling of immersion is based on what you personally have experienced.

The best way I could convey the feeling is the difference between driving a car in a 2D game and the moment you step into the drivers seat after your test and hit the highway for a solo road trip. The only two things missing are no road feedback and you don't get injured when you crash! The scary thing about VR is that within a few minutes you lose touch with your surroundings and you are there in ED in your cockpit flying a ship into this massive space station, you can hear the thump of engines from the ship above you...

The problem is that new experiences can spoil the prior experiences that themselves were wonderful. My first car was a Ford, my current car is a Ford, my first car was wonderful, but my current car is a better experience, the only way I would go back is for a sentimental drive and then I would remember there was no ABS, less power and comfort. That is the feeling I get when I power up ED in 2D, it's a sentimental drive, but I miss what I had in 3D.

I hope one day you get the opportunity to hit the highway in VR, so you can see the privilege that VR in ED has been for me.

Development is always too complex, cost too much until modders come in and make more interesting content, then get violations for reverse engineering it into a better product?

The problem is that new experiences can spoil the prior experiences that themselves were wonderful. My first car was a Ford, my current car is a Ford, my first car was wonderful, but my current car is a better experience, the only way I would go back is for a sentimental drive and then I would remember there was no ABS, less power and comfort. That is the feeling I get when I power up ED in 2D, it's a sentimental drive, but I miss what I had in 3D.
Yes the fear of demotion in all areas of life.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom