What's all the fuss about : There is plenty of Tritium out there

After the latest patch and all the moaning from the usual suspects wanting free Tritium, I decided to check for myself before setting out into the black with my FC
I picked a random Single Tritium hotspot in a common icy belt and hit the centre of it working my way towards the planet.
(Don't expect double or triple hotspots to be better. FDev said in patch 3 that this would be reduced)

90% of the bright scanner rocks has either Tritium in Sub Surface, Surface or normal laser extractions.
I was in the worst ship possible and really testing and out of practice mining, but I could easily mine 200+ an hour.

So for my trip out in the black, the following will be the way I will do it

1. Venture out 500 ly in my Asp and find a nice area.
2. Call in the FC
3. Explore for a 6 days and give 1/2 day over to mine the next jump

It is easy, so what is all the whinging about.

I suppose we will get all the over privileged moaners with one of the following

1. FDev said this and that about FC's and now I can't because they fix a flawed mechanic
2. But I hate mining
3. But I want free fuel and money and everything just because I want it and had it
4. Why should we pay for fuel
5. But I can't load up on cheap Tritium and sell it at a stupid prize and make gazillions like I did before, no fair
6. It is just not fair and I want my mummy.

Here is a tip, if you don't like it, uninstall the game and go and play COD or something else that doesn't require any effort.

Looking forward to my trip out in the black in my FC now :)

Last edited:
So for my trip out in the black, the following will be the way I will do it

1. Venture out 500 ly in my Asp and find a nice area.
2. Call in the FC
3. Explore for a 6 days and give 1/2 day over to mine the next jump

It is easy, so what is all the whinging about.

And that's fine, if that is what you want to do.

Is this one of those "my way is the only legitimate way to play" posts?

Those people who wanted to run a ferry service to Colonia and back (buying fuel at both ends for a quick turnaround) were doing it wrong, and should therefore uninstall the game?

Just checking.

And that's fine, if that is what you want to do.

Is this one of those "my way is the only legitimate way to play" posts?

Those people who wanted to run a ferry service to Colonia and back (buying fuel at both ends for a quick turnaround) were doing it wrong, and should therefore uninstall the game?

Just checking.

No it is not one of those my way or no way posts.
As with everything in life, you work out what is possible and get on with it.
If ferrying people large distances is no longer viable, stop banging your head on the wall and think of something else to do.

FC's are supposed to be expensive and costly to maintain. Part of this is refuelling them.

You have 3 choices to move a FC any distance
  1. Buy the fuel at high rates = short cut (yes Colonia needs it supplies sorting out after all the mess and the collapse of the market because of the stupid flawed mechanics / prices before)
  2. Mine it for free = time and effort
  3. Drop the idea and sell the FC
I hate mining personally, but if I want to use my FC for any distance work, I will have to lump it and do some mining for 1/2 a session to fuel it.
I hate working, but to pay my mortgage and bills, I have to get my sorry butt out of my bed and work. No amount of complaining to my boss will solve it.

and give 1/2 day over to mine the next jump

Here is a tip, if you don't like it, uninstall the game and go and play COD or something else that doesn't require any effort.
So if I don't want to spend half a day (12 HOURS) mining and potential RSI I need to uninstall and Play COD?

Thank you for highlighting the issue.

Some of Fdevs Customers work and have a life outside of Elite, we are not all surrounded by Pizza Boxes and 3L bottles of diet drinks you know!

I may play between 6 - 8 hours per week

Enjoy your Pizza!

Some of Fdevs Customers work and have a life outside of Elite, we are not all surrounded by Pizza Boxed and 3L bottles of diet drinks you know!

I may play between 6 - 8 hours per week

lol, wondered how long this one would take to pop up.

Here is an easy answer.
Split your total game time into 10 equal parts, say 1 hour each.
Explore for 9 hours, mine for 1 hour.

Easy eh :)

lol, wondered how long this one would take to pop up.

Here is an easy answer.
Split your total game time into 10 equal parts, say 1 hour each.
Explore for 9 hours, mine for 1 hour.

Easy eh :)
So 12 weeks and I can jump my carrier? - Seriously think before you post! That said, thank you for Highlighting the issue with mining fuel for carriers.

I think your points are a bit strawman in nature as I've seen very few posts demanding freebies or anything else on your list. Most just seem to want a reasonable buff and a functioning tritium commodity market.

What is in abundance around here though are the posts (yours included OP sorry) stating how the game should be and others that don't agree with me should leave. Sorry but that's a pretty toxic attitude to have. Why not explain yourself how and why FC's shouldn't be a magic space carpet without careful planning? Perhaps post a log of that trip into the black you are leaving on? You just may win over a few new converts to your way of thinking.

So 12 weeks and I can jump my carrier? - Seriously think before you post! That said, thank you for Highlighting the issue with mining fuel for carriers.

Yes, Elite requires time and dedication.
Why should you be able to do something that has taken 1000's of others many months to do ?

Deleted member 182079

D
Based on my testing since yesterday, Tritium yields have been okay.

Not great, not disastrous, just okay. It certainly won't replace buying Tritium if it's available, even if at more than 50k credits per ton.

The big question I'd need to ask myself is though, if I went on a huge long distance exploration trip, what would I burn out on first, mining Tritium or Exploration? I reckon it'll be the former, but just about:)

Based on my testing since yesterday, Tritium yields have been okay.

Not great, not disastrous, just okay. It certainly won't replace buying Tritium if it's available, even if at more than 50k credits per ton.

The big question I'd need to ask myself is though, if I went on a huge long distance exploration trip, what would I burn out on first, mining Tritium or Exploration? I reckon it'll be the former, but just about:)
Can anyone quantify OK? We have people ranging 1 hour a week to 24/7 Who or What is ok?

It's neither fantastic enough to make me run onto the street in celebration, naked, nor does it make me want to put the keyboard through the screen.

Does that help?
Not Really - Could I suggest that some people with lots of spare time like the way we fuel carriers and those that have limited playtime do not?

You see the issue is this. You could avoid GRIND in ED to a point. A maxed out this or that is maxed out, no more GRIND required. Then came Fleet Carriers with upkeep and the the stupid GRIND for every Jump? Get out of Town!

Deleted member 182079

D
Seriously though, my yields have been roughly 200t per hour, give/take (mix of laser/SSD mining). I would probably prefer if that rate would be closer to the 300-400t mark, but I can live with it as is. Staying out in the middle of nowhere isn't my cup of tea though (even though the idea actually appeals on paper) so I will only limit myself to excursions a few thousand LY outside the bubble max.

I'm more concerned about the Tritium market situation in Colonia - I believe it hampers the feasibility of regular FC shuttles (I thankfully took one with my alt CMDR before the drought set in) which is a shame.

Top Bottom