Planet Zoo - Colour Variation

Looks great and looking forward to it!

At launch collectors of albino and leucistic species struggled to find what they were looking for because the icons in the trade market for regular and albino/leucistic were the same. This got changed shortly after launch but I'm wondering, will there be a different icon in the market for the colour variations?

And is there a planned fix for the Dall Sheep's leucistic variant? 😁

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Looks great and looking forward to it!

At launch collectors of albino and leucistic species struggled to find what they were looking for because the icons in the trade market for regular and albino/leucistic were the same. This got changed shortly after launch but I'm wondering, will there be a different icon in the market for the colour variations?

And is there a planned fix for the Dall Sheep's leucistic variant? 😁
We are actually working on a solution to this for our collectors and colourblind players in the community. We’ll be going into more detail about this soon, but in short we’ll also be adding some text that will describe the animal's colouration in their info panel. This will be available in the Animal Market, so it will make it easier for you to buy the animals, and variations, you may be after.

YESSSSS!!!! I LOVE YOU FRONTIER!!

This is everything I’ve been waiting for for the game, and they look so amazing! Thank you so much for listening to us and working so hard to make these variations. Your animals models are always stunning, and now our animals are more individual than ever. So excited to have them in game!

My day has been made and it’s only 6:30am for me. Now I’m less resentful about my lab work for the day haha.

Edit: it is now midday. My car broke down and I have to pay a hefty sum for a new alternator. Don’t care, still having a good day because colour variation is coming to Planet Zoo!

Last edited:
We’ll be going into more detail about this soon, but in short we’ll also be adding some text that will describe the animal's colouration in their info panel. This will be available in the Animal Market, so it will make it easier for you to buy the animals, and variations, you may be after.
Will it also be possible to search for certain colors?

Will all Animals that are currently in the Game stay the same and only Animals that are born after the Update will get a new Skin or will every Animal that is currently already in the Game get a new Skin after the Update?

Thanks you so much for listening to our feedback and suggestions...and thank you so much for the reply...

Now finally at least we know that something is coming up in the updates.

I have no issue and problems with planet zoo team and frontier team or crew...

My only wishes is , I only hope frontier or planet zoo team can read up on all our feedback ,suggestion and ideas ...

All of us have our own opinion , preferences , animal , wishlist ...

And I know that in this world , we can't pleased everyone ..

But We all have ultimate goals which is we hope planet zoo will be more better , more animals ,fencings and etc..

And that will make more people interested in planet zoo games or planet coaster or other frontier games ...

Because of planet zoo (which is my first frontier games ) I am thinking of buying planet coaster when I get my salary

Thank you for breaking the silence with us, Chantè. I was going to post after I have a good night sleep, but seeing you work so late gave me a kick in my behind :D

Color variations are one of the most wanted and most needed feature for me and I'm glad to read it will also be genetic. This will make the animals feel more unique for me and maybe help me to finally bond with them and not only use Planet Zoo as a building simulator.

I really, really hope you and the team can shine some light on what to come more regular in the future. While waiting is always hard, it really helps staying patient to at least get some " info snacks" once in a while. Sure you read in the other thread, some of us were a little worried about where the game is heading and if it will be given up on early, with the lack of communication.
Now, all of us know the nasty virus has made things for all of us complicated and probably delayed a lot - and maybe delay things even longer.
You were speaking about "next weeks", so I assume, it will take quite a while longer to finish the update. Could you maybe give us a rough time frame? Are we talking more about fall / autumn, or more like winter?

Now, have a good night and a wonderful day off! And thanks again for breaking that "spell".

Thank you very much for this report!
I am very happy not only to have cloned animals in my zoo. I can hardly wait for the update ... the animals alone are worth a closer look.
Can it also happen that the offspring gets traits from both parents?
The color of one of the others, or maybe even different regions of the color of the fur, for example in the case of a wolf?

Thanks to the team, I was already very hopeful for the next update, but now I can wait even less until it is finally here.

Much anticipated update. The wolves in particular look fantastic. I hope when we hear more about the "genetics" that there is some degree of heredity for these colorations, so that it would be possible to breed for progressively lighter or darker wolf packs for example.

Exhibit animals and some habitat animals won't have these changes, largely due to either their environments being too densely packed to benefit from it,
I am disappointed about this blanket decision to exclude all exhibit animals. Green iguanas have highly variable coloration. If we ever get other poison dart frog species, there can be tremendous color and pattern variation within the same species. Why not just evaluate whether a species has enough natural variation to warrant variants in the game on a case-by-case basis, rather than completely exclude exhibit animal. Part of the beauty of herps is the vibrant colors and variations they can display.

I also don't understand what this statement means at all, if anyone cares to clarify:
... largely due to either their environments being too densely packed to benefit from it

Top Bottom