Planet Zoo - Colour Variation

Welp... there's another good reason for me to wait to get back into the game... (sigh) the other reason is all the glitches affecting my guests, staff and facilities that makes the human part of the game completely broken...

Will personality difference in animals release with this update or just color variation? Love this news so far thanks a lot.

I doubt they will come with this update and I'm not sure they are even working on that. But I really wish they will in the future. And if they do, it's definately gonna be awesome. This update shows already: They aren't doing half-baked things.

I am disappointed about this blanket decision to exclude all exhibit animals. Green iguanas have highly variable coloration. If we ever get other poison dart frog species, there can be tremendous color and pattern variation within the same species. Why not just evaluate whether a species has enough natural variation to warrant variants in the game on a case-by-case basis, rather than completely exclude exhibit animal. Part of the beauty of herps is the vibrant colors and variations they can display.

While I agree about poison dart frogs (though it's not colour, it's pattern, so not such a big deal), green iguanas don't tend to have major colour morphs outside of domestically bred pets. Zoo iguanas do not come in all the colours you might have seen on Google Images.

We Should Get Eggs. Zootycoon 2 Had them i think it would be cool to get eggs. And when They Crack the Animal Appears Like they did in ZT2.

This isn't how zoos work, so I don't expect this to happen.

This isn't how zoos work, so I don't expect this to happen.

Not to derail the topic, but no, zoos certainly don't always collect the animals' eggs. If it's possible it is preferred to let animals make their own nests and hatch eggs themselves rather than take them out and hand raise them. It's even mentioned in the Mixed Species manual multiple times that there are multiple occasions where nests are kept in the exhibit rather than the eggs getting collected. (Just search for egg, you'll find plenty of examples). So yeah, nesting is something I'd like to see in PZ, because it does happen in zoos quite often and there are some cool things you can do with it.

However, I'm really against "this was in ZT2 so PZ should have it" mentality. I've been with ZT2 from the start, I know there's a bunch of features in there and ones that we modded in; but that's not how it works. PZ is its own game with its own team that makes certain descicions. Just because it was in ZT2 doesn't mean it has to be in PZ or is even possible in PZ; and vice versa.

Anyway; I can't wait to see what's next.; and I'm glad to hear that we'll be able to tell which kind of variant we're adopting :D

If it's possible it is preferred

That's where I always stop people; if possible it is preferred.

Most zoos don't have that option, either due to environmental constraints or other reasons. For highly endangered species it is usually preferable to artificially incubate the eggs to ensure the best chance of survival for as many of the offspring as possible. I myself have taken part in this process. It is more common for zoos to allow reptiles to naturally nest, but less commonly for birds (especially not in mixed exhibits).

In any case, examining the birds we have in-game right now;

- the ostrich is most commonly a mixed-species animal that nests in the open. With other animals running around the enclosure it would certainly not be preferable to allow them to breed naturally. In a confined space with little in the way of privacy options, it's likely that the parents will abandon the nest after too many signs of trouble.
- the peafowl is likely to be allowed to breed naturally, but in several cases this is also because peafowl are commonly free-roaming and left to their own devices.
- the flamingo eggs are usually replaced with false eggs in zoos, and the young hand-reared, with the false eggs being abadoned by the parents when it is clear they are not hatching. IIRC this also depends on how the enclosure is laid out. In an aviary (enclosed) it might be preferable to allow natural nesting, but in an open-air exhibit it is less preferable.

Welp... there's another good reason for me to wait to get back into the game... (sigh) the other reason is all the glitches affecting my guests, staff and facilities that makes the human part of the game completely broken...
We don't know how many of the bugs have been squashed. They have been working on the next update for quite some time now, so you might be in for a nice surprise. This is just a feature announcement, doesn't mean issues with the game haven't been worked on. Art and programming departments are separate.

Hayo Zookeepers,

Thanks for all of your brilliant support; we're excited to show you a snippet of what we've been working on over the last couple of months, and we'll be sharing more news on what else we've been up to very soon!

We've been intently reading your feedback regarding animal colour variation, and we've spent many hours researching realistic and well-documented variations to bring you accurate depictions of our animal roster. As a result, we've been working on bringing you varying colour, from the majority of animals with subtle differences to the couple of animals that have large variety in colour.

We'll be going further in to detail on how genetics will impact your groups, herds and individual animals in the next couple of weeks, where we'll also be going in-depth about what you can expect in our next update.

The animals will be categorised with subtle, medium and major variations. While we've aimed to give this treatment to as many animals as possible, we haven't done it for all of them. Exhibit animals and some habitat animals won't have these changes, largely due to either their environments being too densely packed to benefit from it, or there not being any clear variation occurring in the wild. Today, we'll be showing you one example from each category:

Subtle - American Bison

Medium - Reticulated Giraffe

Major - Timber Wolf

Thanks again for all of your feedback on this, including your threads sharing videos and photos. We cannot wait for you all to get your hands on this upcoming update to see these variations for yourself, and what else we've been working on too!

Looks fantastic!

I doubt they will come with this update and I'm not sure they are even working on that. But I really wish they will in the future. And if they do, it's definately gonna be awesome. This update shows already: They aren't doing half-baked things.
I do also really hope that this will be someday included because they said it will be in the Game and I'm also thinking it will be absolutely awesome.

Not to derail the topic, but no, zoos certainly don't always collect the animals' eggs. If it's possible it is preferred to let animals make their own nests and hatch eggs themselves rather than take them out and hand raise them. It's even mentioned in the Mixed Species manual multiple times that there are multiple occasions where nests are kept in the exhibit rather than the eggs getting collected. (Just search for egg, you'll find plenty of examples). So yeah, nesting is something I'd like to see in PZ, because it does happen in zoos quite often and there are some cool things you can do with it.
I can confirm this. Some Zoos in Germany have their own TV-Show (a Camera Team shows what happens behind the Scenes) and if I remember correctly I've seen more than once that they let some Birds keep their Eggs. I think the Keepers do also sometimes lay abandoned Eggs into the Nests of other Birds. But a Incubator would be also great especially for Reptiles because if we choose the right Temperature we can choose if males or females hatch. It would also be awesome if Birds would abandon their Nests if they get too stressed, so we'll need to collect the Eggs and maybe try to reduce the Stress so they can breed more successful in the Future

I am super excited for this update! Its really that kind of stuff that makes each zoo more unique. Any news on how this might effect the icons of the animals? Can´t imagine we have so many icons in the market soon hehe. Or is this more like a surprise then? Anyways amazing update news!

Will it also be possible for Animals that don't really have Gender Dimorphism in Real Life to also use the Texture of the opposite Gender? (female Grizzly Bear using the Texture of the male Grizzly Bear for example)

Hey LillidarAn! As promised we asked the question for you :) For now, the colour variation won't be searchable on the market but the text in the panel will be there so that you can see better what colour and variation they have.
Thanks for the reply!

hmm.. that is to bad :( i realy had hoped that you could search for certain colors, like albino.. so you could see which albino's are for sale atm, in stead of clicking through lots of pages with normal animals and hope to find one..

I have also an other question: will there be an option to turn on lights during the day? because most lights are off in caves or buildings, and the beautiful (thank you for these!) butterfly's with lights lose all their beauty when it isn't dark in the zoo.

And i realy hope the tradecenter would be larger than the 50 places it has now (i would even pay cc for it to expand it!). with multiple franchises 50 is just way to few :(

I have also an other question: will there be an option to turn on lights during the day? because most lights are off in caves or buildings, and the beautiful (thank you for these!) butterfly's with lights lose all their beauty when it isn't dark in the zoo.
We do really need this Feature. It is annoying to always need to create giant Glass Roofs so it isn't too dark in a Building

I have to come and say another thank you for making sure that the juvenile animals also have colour variations! I know some developers would have left all juveniles the same and then they magically change colour as adults, but Frontier doesn’t mess around! That little wolf looks gorgeous.

I cant stress enough how much this is needed. I have nocturnal houses for pangolins and aardvarks and also some heat lamps for reptiles, but currently they just look horrible because the lights are not working at day. :(

Top Bottom