Too much mining ingame (carrier tritium)

Actually scooping fuel is a good fix. It's in the game already.
And plotting up for hours even days, to refuel would reflect the time used to mine it.
Course the different stars could have different rates.
And it would mean placing the carrier within scoop range by default. Unless the owner knows the system and rerouted accordingly.
I don't mind my carrier sat for long durations fuel scooping.
I can get on with exploration and mats collecting etc. 2 or 3 days to fill the tank. Acceptable. It would remove mining altogether

I'd personally have preferred Fcs be fueled by the gas of gas giants with the ability to scoop there for a few hours (and introduce a new element of game play, scooping manually in our ships whilst navigating through storms and other dangerous anomalies that might just be something fun enough to warrant adding in itself).

Their insistence that refuelling takes time is sacrosanct. It reflects the size and reality of refuelling a large vessel in the black.
Currently it takes days if not weeks to fill 20000+ tons of tritium via mining.
I suggest same time frame but scoopable ie not not mining.
Easily implemented with existing mechanics & allows time to explore

Afk refuelling it drops to 40% as a compromise? But I see your point.

Addenum
In the afk time 60% reduction in scoop production.
However they balance it...it should take days if not weeks to refuel fully (25000max) I get that. In that time alot of mapping and even adding by using a cutter or a 9 to scoop fuel to speed it up...obviously not afk hehe and at a reduced ratio ie 3:1
And poaching another posts idea have hydrogen as fuel and tritium as bonus performance fuel.

Last edited:
Here's a suggestion...

Make a new module, called the Tritium-Scoopatron or something, which can be deployed to icy bodies. The icy bodies can be scanned (like the rings around planets) to find hotspots. Chuck the Scoopatron on the hotspot and leave it chugging. Come back a day or two later and reap the harvest.

Make it so you can only deploy one Scoopatron at a time; make them persistent so anyone can harvest from them maybe? Iirc, they were going to do something similar for Horizons, but it got scrapped. Might be a good time, what with fleet carriers, to raise the idea from the dead?

Anyway, back to trying to keep cool.

Razzerman

No to afk fuel , buy, mine or I'd even go with 'active' scooping but no free refuel for parking at star.
Either it's a relative time sink or it's got to be fun universally or it's got to be minimal at a cost of something else (credits, modules, jump range or whatever), really.

If you're to actively scoop enough to represent the existing costs, I can imagine that'll be...

Really dull.

The current cost is roughly 1bn or lots of mining (the latter being the only option out of the bubble). Actively scooping enough to quantify a similar "cost" would be pretty dull.

But allowing this to occur over time at some other form of cost (pay crew fewer credits than 1bn but takes time while you do other stuff) or applying the cost via module management decision making (takes up a lot of space, applies some other proportionate performance penalty) that introduces a module that must be "used actively" but introduces an alternative, potentially fun piece of game play, is much better than...

No, just mine.

I'm not a big fan of fuel scooping for tritium, no matter how small as it opens the door to it becoming more of an option further down the line, slippery slope.. I am also for science though, which negates such things.
However, I am not opposed to alternative means to fuel a carrier. One idea might be for a players FC to have mining crew and a (player supplied) mining ship which can do the job but costs. This can be balanced against earnings
by exploring. Something that basically balances itself out?
Hypothetical at this point.

Implementation with existing mechanics is alot easier than flipping it all on its head with a new set of fuel related content.
Just think it's a doable option
Sometimes the quickest fix is not the best option..
NPC crew exist, as do player ships. Adding a mechanic isn't that hard if only a few criteria need to be met and costs adjusted.

What you are doing here is basically sawing at the legs of what I'm currently enjoying most. As a reasonable person, I'm well aware that I represent a minority with the way I play the game, so I'm not asking for your support or trying to change your mind. But rest assured you won't get mine either. I'll just sit quietly and pray that FDev doesn't listen to the majority. Whenever they have done so in the past (fortunately not too often, but especially with the engineers), it has robbed me of a good portion of joy from the game.

In that sense:
Peace - and respect.☮ but I wish you no success with all my heart.
I'm really glad you're enjoying the game, honestly. I've currently left my carrier in the Bubble and attending business in Colonia, so all the trouble or not with the tritium I read in the forums, not first hand. But my personal opinion is that the mining mechanism, although enhanced with SD, SSD and DC versions, is presented by Frontier as the solution to every world problem, from peace on earth, to fixing the climate, end the world hunger and the Covid-19 epidemic. I'm really starting to despise that.

On the one hand I enjoy new things added, but on the other I understand that the skeleton crew left behind can't deal with bugs. FCs were in Beta in April, it's now August, there have been 2 betas, a release and 4 patches and they feel far from ready. It's becoming a tradition: Remember the ARX release? or the guardian FSD booster? the latter took another 3 efforts to fix. We (ok, I) became enthusiastic before every new content launch but each landing is rough.

What I'm trying to say is, yes, I'd like to have an additional option (so that each can use their preferred mechanism) like scooping for gathering tritium but I fear what will happen if they try to implement it.

I'd just fill it from the carrier's infinite supply of hydrogen fuel.
I'd happily give up that infinite supply of H2 fuel, which makes no sense to begin with. Put an actual H2 tank on the carrier that holds H2 for both carrier fuel and general refueling. Allow carriers to both buy and sell fuel at a price set by player. I also am not a fan of infinite ammo, infinite SRVs, etc. These things should be bought and sold just like Tritium IMO. ED is this weird mishmash of realistic simulation and arcade "infinite [ammo, probes, fuel, etc]" that's about as palatable as mixing ice cream and mashed potatoes in a single cup...

I ask the developers to simply reconsider the way we aquire tritium.
Mining should not be the way.
Mining takes time. Alot of time. Time is the one thing we don't have alot of.
Please consider another method which does not require explorers to mine for months on end in order to progress in deep space with their carrier.
Mining is supposed to be a choice.
Personally I don't like it. I'm guessing alot of cmdrs feel the same way.
We don't have to own carriers I get that. But you sold 13000 of them with arx profit to boot..so how about some players love, and have a rethinking session & fix this.
It's not the fuel. Or indeed the price.
I just object to too much if any, MINING.
once i found out about FC's I knew they werent for me. glad if others enjoy tho -- just saying, not my cup of tea.

Top Bottom