Too much mining ingame (carrier tritium)

I ask the developers to simply reconsider the way we aquire tritium.
Mining should not be the way.
Mining takes time. Alot of time. Time is the one thing we don't have alot of.
Please consider another method which does not require explorers to mine for months on end in order to progress in deep space with their carrier.
Mining is supposed to be a choice.
Personally I don't like it. I'm guessing alot of cmdrs feel the same way.
We don't have to own carriers I get that. But you sold 13000 of them with arx profit to boot..so how about some players love, and have a rethinking session & fix this.
It's not the fuel. Or indeed the price.
I just object to too much if any, MINING.

I realise it's not an easy problem to solve. Many choices all have their downsides.
Don't wanna make it too easy we get that.
There's just too much mining as it is.
Elite miner ? No I thought it's more Elite explorer or trader.
Mining should be what we want to do to get rich or complete missions.
There has to be another way? Course that's upto the devs to mull over.

Adding a free Tritium depot at Hutton.. :D
I can live with that as FCs can do micro jumps in system or you can just arrive at Hutton Orbital if you have already visited the system :p

The bummer will be that I can't land a T9 to ferry tritium to my FC and have to do it in teaspoon amounts :eek:😭

I realise it's not an easy problem to solve.

From what I have seen it now seems easy to resolve. I have no need to mine for my carrier, all my long range destinations are within tankering range. I carried out a few mining tests in 'single hotposts' tritium drop rates where extremely good, and LTD's are practically non existent So they must have found a way to make tritium plentiful without creating exploits, all they need to do is increase tritium drop rates further.

Haven't the devs confirmed that double/triple are broken? Whilst Colonia fuel supply's are screwed, and bubble prices have shot up, mining (or purchasing mined fuel) was always the only option for deep space carriers, from what I am seeing that has vastly improved since launch.

I posted that back in May. I might have been a little vague, though.

To elaborate: carriers COULD have a subsystem that's a mega-fuel-scoop, a massive magnetic web that slowly refills the tank. It could depend on module grade, carrier location, star type, etc.

Or a subsystem that simply employs behind-the-scenes NPCs to mine tritium. At their usual competency, so... not fast.

But nope, they launched yet more grind. Anything to keep the players running in hamster wheels, so they keep busy and don't require any significant effort into new stuff anytime soon.

I would just like to repeat my idea of a new module. A new refinery in fact. You can fit it to your mining ship. You cant have both refineries fitted to the same ship. It takes any substance you mine and converts it into Trit no matter whether you laser, surface, subsurface or deep core. Someone else threw in the suggestion that rarer substances convert at a more lucrative rate.

I understand this relies on 'magic' but I'm willing to over look that. I appreciate FD might (still) be trying to get the balance right but the other point here is that you would hope in the future, an energy resource would be an easy one to find or manufacture. Naval history wasn't filled with ships that had some lengthy process of desalination to make a fuel, they just used the freely available wind.

So you keep the module on your carrier. You only fit it when you're on a fuel run. You can drop into any ring and blast any asteroid and get what you need. You fill up your hold, fly back to the carrier. Fill the tank. I think you should be able too collect around 200t in 15mins.

The only other way around this is to make your FC tanks automatically fill when the Thursday tick comes around, as though it is part of a service that you paid for, presumably much like the restocking of ammo and ship fuel that apparently happens to the carrier with no explanation of how. So I refuel my ships all the time from the Carrier but I have no idea where this fuel is actually coming from and the Carrier seems to have a never ending supply of it. Anyway, I digress.

If as part of the upkeep costs we have to imagine that some super tanker has found our Carrier once a week and filled the tanks to the brim with Trit, this means that all we need do now is plan how to use this weeks ration of fuel. I suppose you could keep the ability to mine on top of it.

all they need to do is increase tritium drop rates further.

i made the calculations in another thread. due to fragments released per minute and collector limpets collecting speed, you have a theoretical bottleneck of 400 tons per hour if you are sitting in a python at an undepletable 50% tritium rock, and around 650 if you are sitting in a corvette or conda.

that bottleneck won't change with increased tritium drop rates.
In reality you are looking at a lower bottleneck due to traveltimes, and prospecting, and undepletable 50% tritium rocks not being ingame. and increasing the droprates also increase travel times, as the ships just have a certain cargo.

some will say, that bottleneck is fine as it is, some won't.

as you, i wouldn't mine for a journey colonia - bubble as a single commander. takes too long. but there is no tritium to buy in colonia in relevant numbers, neither from stations nor players.

I would just like to repeat my idea of a new module. A new refinery in fact. You can fit it to your mining ship. You cant have both refineries fitted to the same ship. It takes any substance you mine and converts it into Trit no matter whether you laser, surface, subsurface or deep core. Someone else threw in the suggestion that rarer substances convert at a more lucrative rate.
same problem. bottleneck of how much you can mine per hour, no matter what you mine. you still need lasers and collector limpets.

if the fleetcarrier had a refinery, which makes 5-100 tons of tritium out of any mineral depending on rarity, that might work. still a problem of selling the tritium, but of course the price could be one of hydrogen fuel (miners would hate having all those hotspots than...). or the refinery is directly attached to the fueltank.

same problem. bottleneck of how much you can mine per hour, no matter what you mine. you still need lasers and collector limpets.

if the fleetcarrier had a refinery, which makes 5-100 tons of tritium out of any mineral depending on rarity, that might work. still a problem of selling the tritium, but of course the price could be one of hydrogen fuel (miners would hate having all those hotspots than...). or the refinery is directly attached to the fueltank.

I'm not sure what the bottleneck problem is, but I am a bit dim. I don't think having too mine for 15-20 mins to get ample supplies is a big ask.

I would like to see the selling of Trit eradicated by making it a poor commodity to trade in or at least, I'm not worried about players who have solely been making money by trading in it.

I guess adding the 'food blender' refinery to the carrier also works.

I don't get the casual whiner mindset "everybody" seems to have:
I gotta get my carrier NOW!
I need it to jump around all the time like a crazed jackrabbit, NOW!

Phwew, got that out of my system, as you were... :D

I'm not sure what the bottleneck problem is, but I am a bit dim.
it's just something many players forget about when discussing this problem :)

• elite miners tested the number of fragments released by a medium mining laser to 50 per minute
  • 6-8 active collectors can keep up with 2 medium mining lasers (100 fragments per minute).
  • this gives you around 14 seconds per fragment collecting.

so, depending on the % of that fragment you have a bottleneck of how much tons you can get per minute and hour mining with two medium mining lasers and 8 active collectors (mining python), and around 1,5 of that for a mining corvette/conda (due to its larger power distributor).

that's all - whether that bottleneck is high enough for your usage of a FC is up to you, but it's not going to change by increasing the yield or taking more materials for refueling. i can just say, that i never considered mining an option for my usage of a FC due to that bottlenack.

I don't get the casual whiner mindset "everybody" seems to have:
I gotta get my carrier NOW!
I need it to jump around all the time like a crazed jackrabbit, NOW!

Phwew, got that out of my system, as you were... :D

I'm totally with you on that. it's a bit crazy how much of how many gets thrown into the same pot:
  • people who don't want to buy tritium for 40K, because that's too expensive
  • people, who want to use their Fc as a solo exploring platform, and want to mine for their jumps
  • people, who want to use their FC as a solo exploring platform, but don't want to mine for their jumps
  • people, who would like to buy it, but where they are there is nothing to buy (Colonia)
and probably some more.

i personally don't think it has something to do with casual btw. It has more to do with expectations. For exampel - i have taken part in the jaunt to jaques years ago. 15-20 hours in a trade conda. i would expect that refueling a FC in colonia for a travel to the bubble is possible in 15-20 hours. it's not. no biggie for me (as the only of my accounts owning a FC is my bubble commander), and of course a cause can be made for teaming up (as for the Jaunt to Jaques), because with 4 players it would be possible to fuel the Fc in that time i guess. but i can state that the refueling by mining tritium does not meet my expectations (largely due to the bottleneck described).

so i like any idea to explore other ways of refueling FCs besides current mining, where you can't buy it.

images.jpg

This is Dave.
Dave is in charge of mining.

Dave is different.

it's just something many players forget about when discussing this problem :)

• elite miners tested the number of fragments released by a medium mining laser to 50 per minute
  • 6-8 active collectors can keep up with 2 medium mining lasers (100 fragments per minute).
  • this gives you around 14 seconds per fragment collecting.

so, depending on the % of that fragment you have a bottleneck of how much tons you can get per minute and hour mining with two medium mining lasers and 8 active collectors (mining python), and around 1,5 of that for a mining corvette/conda (due to its larger power distributor).

that's all - whether that bottleneck is high enough for your usage of a FC is up to you, but it's not going to change by increasing the yield or taking more materials for refueling. i can just say, that i never considered mining an option for my usage of a FC due to that bottlenack.
How much tons/h is the bottleneck?

Before the recent spate of mining nerfs, I could fill a cutter with 700+ tons of ore in about 2 hours using all 4 methods of mining and a pwa.
If I could do the same now with tritium I would still be posting my Op.
Read the post! It's not about yield speed or doubles etc
It's about HAVING to mine for tritium. That very principal bugs me.
That mining is the solution to all devs problems. And it is...because it ensures that we put in alot of time in-game.
I don't wanna logon and mine all the time...for any reason.
Seems unfair. And unrealistic. Has to be a better way. Like the refinery idea. Except it too relys on mining lol

Top Bottom