Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

How come? They're really easy to hit. Missing them now, especially when approaching a station that orbits inside the rings, is the real trick.

You use a Krait Mk.II, four pips to shields, two pips to thrusters. Equipped with a fighter, three Pacifiers and a couple of (gimballed) Multicannon. Charge enhanced/super conduits 6A distributor holds 45.6 MJ fully charged. Each of the guns draws 1 MW average from the distributor, a total of 5 MW - which gives 45/5 = 9 seconds firing all five. The fighter doesn't need any power from the distributor at all. The guns dish out a total of 380 points of damage per second, so 9*380 = 3420 points before the cap is empty.
A stock Cobra has 153 points of shields against kinetics, and 180 points of hull, so 333 points from full to bang. The few occasions I got a random interdiction by a pirate in a Cobra, the fight was over before my FSD cooled down - those pirates have a tendency to try and scan you nose to nose, which is kind of not exactly a good idea against a ship equipped with Pacifiers (or frags) 😈.
A stock FAS will hold out a bit longer - 221 and 450 points respectively, 671 points in total.
A stock Anaconda is still a bit more challenging - but also easier to hit. Still, 603 and 788 points, 1391 points in total - again possible as long as I don't miss (and the keep the SLF in the hangar).
Now add that one of the MCs runs corrosive ammo, which reduces hull strength by IIRC 30%, and things look even more grim for the NPCs.
I accidentally hit a thin black part of a ring that I didn't even know existed so I was never sure whether I completed a discovery or not after that. I have my name on some planets between the bubble and Orion Nebula so I'm satisfied with that.

And thanks for that second piece of advice. I left school a year early so that was like Latin to me. I've put it in a text file in case I need it later.

I was alright at maths though. In hindsight, it's probably your fault.

I collected it, moved on to the next rock. Pirate comes back. Comes right over (still in red on the radar), just sort of sits there, then goes again. Never came back. It was weird.
From what I understand, this is how they always act after they come upon you with cargo they want. They ask you to drop some of it. If you do, they leave you alone, and you can pick it back up again.

When I was mining in the bubble and there were pirates, I was in my Cutter so I just blew them up and never actually tried that, but I've heard it more than once.

Out here, there are no pirates, so I don't have to even think about it :)

Yes. Good tip. Unless you're on a salvage mission which requires you to pick up some very specific things before four nutjob NPC's come in to kill you. Which is what happened to me a couple of days ago. Feds coming in for a clean up job are also annoying.

Fortunately my re-entering supercruise created a new instant (or whatever you computer people call it) and they both happened at the same time. They were both so busy attacking each other I could gobble me up some cargo at my leisure.
You know, if you fly in at 1m height to a ground based cargo pick up with the scoop down, slowly. It will scoop it to the hold. no need for srv. sometimes.

Reporting that the trade in bulk tritium to FC's is still good. 350Mcr from one guy, that was only 4 jumps away.
My FC is fully financed for the year. Stocking up the residual tritium from deals to the store.
Trying to sell stuff at stupid high prices. I can do buy low sell high, but sell high buy low is not working... :unsure: :D
Planing a trip to the shards, when the tanks are full. Staying till I fill up on raw mats. Free ride on offer if you need it .

ps: changed my avatar, cause I want to hide, feeling bad about,all the easy big deals....

From what I understand, this is how they always act after they come upon you with cargo they want. They ask you to drop some of it. If you do, they leave you alone, and you can pick it back up again.

When I was mining in the bubble and there were pirates, I was in my Cutter so I just blew them up and never actually tried that, but I've heard it more than once.

Out here, there are no pirates, so I don't have to even think about it :)

Right, I'd never heard of this.

I'm about 450ly outside of Colonia. They're still here. I will be venturing further away soon.

🎼
Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday dear Tyres’ thread that has taken on a life of it’s own and is the most jolly and entertaining thread in the forums,
Happy birthday to you! 🎶

2 years old today. I wonder if you had any idea what you were starting when you asked “What are you up to?”, @Tyres O'Flaherty :D

Thank you!

2 years... flipping 'eck! The thread does, indeed, seem to be leading it's own life so here's to its health 🍺

I remember when I first asked the question, I was really quite new (still am!) and looking to see what sort of stuff other CMDRs did with a view to gleaning hints and tips along the way.

Of course, I had no idea it would last this long - I mean, what's the average lifespan of a thread? Two weeks? - and get such excellent replies and friendly help from truly marvellous folks. You know who you are and I daren't mention names as I'll forget someone.

Suffice to say, thank you all!

Last edited:
By the way, in the latest Frontier email about their livestreams, it says there is one this Thursday. The guests are DSSA! I wonder what they'll say...

THURSDAY 13/08/2020
19:00PM BST

We are so grateful when we see our community members coming together and achieving amazing feats. To help support and highlight these achievements we created the series Featured Commanders, to share their stories and celebrate their actions! We are back with another Featured Commanders, with representatives from the DSSA joining us on stream to discuss their initiative. Check it out on our Twitch Channel!

Crap, one day I stay out of this thread and I almost miss a birthday. :LOL:

Yeah, this thread has been the most fun I've had on this forum. Overall. Next to the "What song are you listening to right now", I think it's safe to say it's my most frequented one as well.
Good going, Crow. I hope it lasts forever.
A music thread, you say?

Sadly, I don't think I can play Elite Dangerous today. My phone and internet went down yesterday around 3pm during a storm. And it's not back up yet. I'm having to use my cell phone as a wifi hotspot. On the up side, I discovered that the issue I had reactivating my phone wasn't the sim card dying. It was the app not having been updated since March or earlier, and being set to not update.

Yeah, that seems to happen a lot in America. If only people built their infrastructure while taking the local climate into account. No offence.

Have you established a home base after leaving the kiddy pool? I found myself in some weird fringe type areas of independent space when I left. It was fun but I recommend finding a system with major factions so you can build up your rep and get better missions. It probably took me close to a month before I thought about doing that.

Top Bottom