August Dev Diary, your hopes and expectations

What's up with this new title (there were rumours about a racing simulation?). Haven't heard anything about it for a while...
1597363648692.png

Female developers not attending? :unsure:

I'm very curious about how Odyssey will end up working as it's the first update where I can't really imagine how they'll do it. People will probably freak out because there are so many ways to approach it and they'll inevitably pick one that won't satisfy some vocal minority. I'm mainly hoping it's MORE than I'm vaguely imagining it will be.

On Tuesday when they release the dev diary, remember it's just a dev diary .... don't go expecting any content reveal (I'm not saying they won't reveal any content, only not to expect it).

Agreed. I'd be hoping for some concept art at least, though. New art not released at the same time as the trailer would satisfy me for now.

I would like to know if there will be fauna, flora, lakes, rivers and some animals.

If they could also give some concepts art. :)

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
I very much doubt animals will be added, but I truly hope some solid bar raising atmospheric mechanics would be added, with the information from Stellar Forge tailoring it all.

Clouds, mist, rain, ice, all adjusted by Stellar Forge info. Rivers and lakes of what ever liquid makes sense. Aurora if appropriate. Storms if appropriate. etc etc... And the icing on the cake for me would be some solid science based procedural plant life based on Stellar Forge info...

Can but hope the long delayed ice planet improvements were delayed because of a general improvement to planetary surfaces!

But given FD's track record for the past 4-5yrs, I suspect some bolted on, self contained additions, with little attempt to raise the bar of existing content, and fair too much content resulting in CMDRs scratching their heads asking either:-
  • "Why did you do it that way?" - Vaste efforts put into content which is unbalanced or needlessly shallow and clunky.
  • "Why did you do that at all?" - Vaste effort put into content which will be of niche interest, and will collect dust for most CMDRs.

I would be interested them to wheel out the 2017 concept art of the iceplanets for beyond and see how close they got to those in the actual game.
Can but hope the long delayed ice planet improvements were delayed because it was consolidated into sweeping improvements across planet surfaces in general!

Last edited:
I very much doubt animals will be added, but I truly hope some solid bar raising atmospheric mechanics would be added, with the information from Stellar Forge tailoring it all.

Clouds, mist, rain, ice, all adjusted by Stellar Forge info. Rivers and lakes of what ever liquid makes sense. Aurora if appropriate. Storms if appropriate. etc etc... And the icing on the cake for me would be some solid science based procedural plant life based on Stellar Forge info...

Can but hope the long delayed ice planet improvements were delayed because of a general improvement to planetary surfaces!

But given FD's track record for the past 4-5yrs, I suspect some bolted on, self contained additions, with little attempt to raise the bar of existing content, and fair too much content resulting in CMDRs scratching their heads asking either:-
  • "Why did you do it that way?" - Vaste efforts put into content which is unbalanced or needlessly shallow and clunky.
  • "Why did you do that at all?" - Vaste effort put into content which will be of niche interest, and will collect dust for most CMDRs.
Yes climate and flora would already be a big step.

🦠 😷 😷 😷 😷 😷 😷 😷

Yes climate and flora would already be a big step.

🦠 😷 😷 😷 😷 😷 😷 😷
Yes, as long as it was all:-
  • Solidly based on Stellar Forge info/hand wavium science - ie: Based/altered sensibly on gravity, atmospheric make up etc.
  • Lots of layers of diversity - So you can land by a lake, at night, with aurora fluttering overhead, with a storm flickering in the distance. Strange plants next to the lake. All distorted by the rain drops falling onto your canopy (large drops at a slow speed due to the low gravity). And overhead, just visible through the clouds, a comet can just be made out.

The fact their name is incorrect on the list kind of says it all really....broken, Fdev are broken lol FRONTIER DEVELOPM where is the EMTS...oh yes they only get that part when they finish a product with content that is fun...:LOL::ROFLMAO:
So obviously they have... you must have missed it...
(as it is complete in the listing)
Image22.jpg

Those would be great indeed, and if flight was somewhat affected by at least the most extreme conditions it would be fantastic.

are you serious?
they said space leg and tenuous atmospheres like you can see in the teaser. It is not hard to understand what they mean, and they don't mean what you write.
I bet you will come here the day after release ranting about the absense of all that feature they never promised.

That's what worries me too! But I'm not sure there is a space legs implementation that would satisfy everybody.

I suspect we'll get the bare bones implementation to create our own multiplayer gameplay on planets, with promises of further expansions down the line. Getting multiplayer FPS stuff working in tandem with SRVs and spaceships flying around is a big enough challenge on its own.

But I'm also afraid that, with it not being Frontier's area of expertise, they'll underestimate the sophistication of modern FPS gameplay. Barren planets aren't really an ideal setting for that sort of gameplay. You need complex environments with lots of cover and interesting NPC behaviour.

My suspicion is that there will be a smallish number of hand-crafted situations which repeat endlessly across the universe, as Frontier seem to have abandoned trying to get much out of procedural generation.

Top Bottom