Polygon and Twinfinite interviews - more Odyssey details, unknowns, and Walking-In-Ships not at launch

Developers are also considering allowing them to walk around inside starships, exploring the vessels they’ve owned for years for the first time. The feature won’t be available at launch when Elite Dangerous: Odyssey comes to PlayStation 4, Windows PC, and Xbox One sometime in early 2021.​
Other questions about gameplay details went unanswered. That’s because, principal designer Gareth Hughes said, many of those details have yet to be finalized. That includes how the game’s flight model will be changing to deal with traveling through atmospheres for the first time.​
Also undecided is how players will transition from ships or wheeled vehicles to walking on foot. The team wants players to have their own “Neil Armstrong moment” Hughes said, of being the first person to step on a distant world. Trouble is that they’re just not settled on what that moment will actually feel like. Also undecided is how Odyssey — which will not launch with support for virtual reality — will impact players who have long experienced the game exclusively in VR. Hughes said his team is keeping those heavily invested in VR technology in mind as they make their plans for launch.​
As for the platforms and where we’re headed, I’ll tell you that we’re looking at PC, Xbox and PS4, as far as what we’re pushing it to, it’s not currently planned for PS5 or the Xbox Series X. We’re continuing to evaluate.​
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF63IxQWxOs

Last edited:
1597766185555.png

There you have it. Space is dangerous, and only the toilet cubicles in surface ports provide refuge from ganking.

Developers are also considering allowing them to walk around inside starships, exploring the vessels they’ve owned for years for the first time. The feature won’t be available at launch when Elite Dangerous: Odyssey comes to PlayStation 4, Windows PC, and Xbox One sometime in early 2021.​
Other questions about gameplay details went unanswered. That’s because, principal designer Gareth Hughes said, many of those details have yet to be finalized. That includes how the game’s flight model will be changing to deal with traveling through atmospheres for the first time.​
Also undecided is how players will transition from ships or wheeled vehicles to walking on foot. The team wants players to have their own “Neil Armstrong moment” Hughes said, of being the first person to step on a distant world. Trouble is that they’re just not settled on what that moment will actually feel like. Also undecided is how Odyssey — which will not launch with support for virtual reality — will impact players who have long experienced the game exclusively in VR. Hughes said his team is keeping those heavily invested in VR technology in mind as they make their plans for launch.​
As for the platforms and where we’re headed, I’ll tell you that we’re looking at PC, Xbox and PS4, as far as what we’re pushing it to, it’s not currently planned for PS5 or the Xbox Series X. We’re continuing to evaluate.​
sounds like they have no clue how to implement what they want, and it is nowhere close to being done. Not sure this launches 2021.

Thanks Stuart.

I think we all suspected walking in ships wasn't coming on release but it's disappointing to see it confirmed.

A bit worrying how many "details are yet to be finalised". I was going to say I find it amusing they're suggesting they might implement a (thin) atmospheric flight model between now and release but actually that's so ridiculous it's just insulting.

As always, clearly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty abound.

I'll just wait for it to come out first, then wait a few weeks to see just how much salt it generates. Too much and I'll sit back and wait for the first two patches to come out. If there's too little salt and everyone is thrilled about it, I'll wait until the FIRST patch comes out (no sane person ever gets 1.0 software).

As always, clearly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty abound.

I'll just wait for it to come out first, then wait a few weeks to see just how much salt it generates. Too much and I'll sit back and wait for the first two patches to come out. If there's too little salt and everyone is thrilled about it, I'll wait until the FIRST patch comes out (no sane person ever gets 1.0 software).

Giant great big wodges of salt is the only thing absolutely guaranteed at this point.

I envision landing, selecting something in the panel between your legs, and appearing on the ladder to the surface. From there it's a standard fps game. Return to ship similar to the srv. You will probably have a wrist controller for that. At the stations, you could buy and engineer suit and weapons (more decals/paint to buy).

If there is no walking around ships then it will be a simple fade to black and your outside scenario, probably with a cut scene going down a ladder or standing on a lift as it takes you to the surface. Pretty much what we saw in one of those commander chronicle videos.

In atmosphere flight model not being sorted yet is a bit of a worry. It makes me think they didnt think much about it until people in the forums started speculation on how certain ships would handle, and realised that doing nothing would not be acceptable to the community.

I get the impression that the lack of ship interiors will be a deal breaker for some people while for others the new exploration environments and gameplay will potentially far out weigh any perceived loss.

I think its safe to say we can rule out things like zero g space walks and any such gameplay such as tomb raiding ships in Tionisla etc.

Top Bottom