Space Engineers: Any DBX pilots out there?

Ok I think I'm gonna take the plunge and get into Space Engineers. Any recommendations for mods or is it best to start vanilla? I was looking at this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=531659576
Yeah I agree with Old Duck try staying vanilla first.

However that said, maybe just a thought and only cosmetic, a skybox change if you don't like Keen's vanilla one (I don't); 1/ Vas's Starfield/far sun (skybox) or the one I play with when playing the game properly, not just building and messing around, 2/ NoBox Black 2019.
There are loads of great skybox's for the game, so have a wander through WS. It is however a matter of simple tests to see if they work well with the 'current' game version. The two I mentioned do work o.k. But as said, there are some beauties available.

There are plenty of mods I use in game, mostly planets, but one I have to have is 'Automatic LCD's' (script), it's essential for me. But that may be for later on.

@Kaocraft The thing is, once you have got the hang of the game and perhaps want a larger world to play in, then your going to have to build that yourself in Engineers, that is mainly placing planets out now, as the rest is kind of in the current game. The game adapts to your world, i.e. it will place stations on the planets you place out. But you don't have to go that route, there are a few mod's that are pre-made worlds that you could use.

If your into survival more than space, then think about Empyrion (never thought I would say that but for survival, yep). If your into space travel more, then Engineers is the game imho.

Empyrion = full galaxy with everything ready to play. Jumping everywhere for most of your space travel, like ED, but that's o.k.
Space Engineers = a smaller survival world as vanilla. But if your into building your own world, then it can be huge. With real travel, no cheats, you'll jump in the same space not into another box, that is of course if you want to jump. Lots of space travel and maintenance as you travel through space. (I do use a speed mod and tend to have jump drives that give me a push of around 1500km).
Space Engineers is a true sandbox, build it yourself type game.

Edit: For me S/Engineers needs plenty of time (loads of time) if your going to build a custom world. Empyrion has most of that already in there,.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I should go ahead and start in Vanilla. I was going to give Empyrion a try, but decided to go this route instead seeing as I already own Space Engineers, plus the fact that I prefer to get into games after they are out of Alpha. Empyrion does look fascinating, though, and maybe better geared towards my interests (survival and exploration as the basis, with construction being the how and the why - seems like SE is maybe the reverse of this), so I'll keep my eye on it.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I should go ahead and start in Vanilla. I was going to give Empyrion a try, but decided to go this route instead seeing as I already own Space Engineers, plus the fact that I prefer to get into games after they are out of Alpha. Empyrion does look fascinating, though, and maybe better geared towards my interests (survival and exploration as the basis, with construction being the how and the why - seems like SE is maybe the reverse of this), so I'll keep my eye on it.
There speaks someone that has their head screwed on.

I use to be that sensible and had my head screwed on. But the wife lost the screw driver and once my head wore loose..
Well I'm kind of mostly confused nowadays.

Just found out that Keen are closing the Space Engineers forum. That would also apply to M/engineers no doubt.
Sad really, but not that surprised. :(

Last edited:
Why? They always tout that SE is their primary focus. Has something changed?
They say it was a case of not enough traffic through the forums.

Of course it doesn't look hopeful for the future of the game, but there again they went to release, as have so many devs, with a pretty buggy game. Then started doing the paid dlc's (deco stuff). Many players just didn't like that, I didn't mind paying, but the feeling at the back of most gamers minds (me inc) is 'the game is still buggy and therefore broken to a certain extent, why move to release then start selling things instead of fixing age old bugs'.
But as we know the player is always the one that gets crapped on in gaming. I think the game where Keen are concerned is finished. They did it with Miner Wars remember, I enjoyed that game to. Should know better shouldn't I.

However that said, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it is just the forum and doesn't affect the game dev itself.

SE is a Steam-only game, correct? I never bothered with their forum because I just use the Steam Community when I have a question (or Twitter or Youtube comments).
You could buy disk versions early on, but yeah its basically a steam only now. I think the forums were for us old timers when mods were done prior to WS, so it was a very busy little forum at one time, most all of the traffic was on the Keen forum, not steam.

Edit: I could be thinking of 'miner wars' when I say disk versions.

Last edited:
Space Engineers is still perfectly playable, if the player turns a blind eye to a few bugs. I played Arma series for nearly two decades, so I can easily turn a blind eye to bugs.
It also doesn't mean the dev has stopped, it probably hasn't, but.
Anyway.
Its a great game and all of us in gaming nowadays especially pc gaming have to turn a blind eye to bugs in games, or we wouldn't play much of anything.

That’s a troubling sign. I don’t consider SE to be a particularly buggy game (the worst I’ve encountered so far is the “false dawn” bug), but it does feel incomplete, especially as a survival game. Still happy to buy some of the DLC, especially since I got the main game on sale.

That’s a troubling sign. I don’t consider SE to be a particularly buggy game (the worst I’ve encountered so far is the “false dawn” bug), but it does feel incomplete, especially as a survival game. Still happy to buy some of the DLC, especially since I got the main game on sale.
I've made two large worlds in S/engineers and both broke owing to updates and changes. Now I expect that, as the game was in alpha then beta. But I still don't really have the confidence to build further large game worlds yet. I have one I tinker around which is fairly large and its got quite a few planets, although that to can be an issue (mod planets) and there is a lack of choice for planets in the vanilla game so mod ones are vital in any reasonable size world.
I will support the game for as long as they keep working on it. I just don't want to see a repeat of Miner Wars. I was happy they did S/engineers, whereas many players walked away from the game, I didn't. I thought they just handled it wrong. Engineers led on and was better than M/wars, so I was happy to move along with it.
I would hope for a S/engineers 2, taking all they have learned from M/engineers (block in block) plus the new dlc's and gain some bits from Empyrion. Now that would be one hell of a game.

I've got a new big 4K TV that I want to go back and try SE on someday soon(ish). Between MFS and ED "awakening" (return of CGs), I just haven't had the time to also play SE, but I'm sure the mood with strike this winter.

Top Bottom