Game Discussions What was your first exposure to video games?

Just yesterday after I finished playing on the PS4, I was excited for the near future when the PS5 would launch. It was the same excitement as when I got the PS2 after playing the PSone, a promise of a more refined console with new games that would benefit greatly from the jump in hardware. And looking back, the original PSone was not even close to one of the first video games consoles ever. I kinda want to know what your experiences were like when you were first exposed to videogames.

I think my first exposure to videogames was when my late grandfather bought me my first gameboy pocket, it was the clear variant and it had one of those 32 in one game cartridges. I do not recall what the 31 other games were, but I was very invested in the gameboy version of Felix the cat. It was really otherworldly to control a tiny character in a tiny screen that is similar to the calculator my dad has in his office. Especially since you need the right lighting to actually see what is going on, and you have to know that the beeps and boops coming from the game actually means something. It was a cherished moment, so much so that I was really excited to find an original copy of felix the cat online in great condition. I have it with me now and a part of me wants to finally complete that game, where another one wants to leave the game unfinished, it is a weird feeling but I cherished that game as the introduction to my interest in gaming. Especially now that videogames are at its most visually appealing, refined, and varied. It does not leave much to the imagination, but the games now do offer more than ever before.

Can't really remember the exact timing, but it was either Space Invaders Armada on the Mattel Intellivision console, or the Mario's Cement Factory from Nintendo's Game & Watch series. Needless to say, it set me on a path... :D

The first I remember, on the TRS-80, were Star Trek (ascii/text) and Asylum. Asylum was the memorable one - first 3D game using ascii graphics. And since you have me all nostalgic, here's a couple of screenshots:

Star Trek showing the Enterprise with 4 stars:
Untitled.png

Asylum:
asylum5.png

10 points to anyone who remembers what happens when you "Look Up". :)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Can't really remember the exact timing, but it was either Space Invaders Armada on the Mattel Intellivision console, or the Mario's Cement Factory from Nintendo's Game & Watch series. Needless to say, it set me on a path... :D

I love the space invader games and alikes. They were a lot of fun, especially when there is a single ship left. I am annoyed because there is a space invaders collection on the nintendo switch, but it is only available in Japan atm, with a hefty price to boot if you want the collector's edition.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoaZkk9QGTs

I have the game and watch games on my 3DS, so far ball in my favorite. It is simple but would definitely keep you busy for a loooong time. Were you able to get a reprint of that by nintendo? They made that game and watch game as a special reprint in 2009.

Deleted member 257907

D
I heard the stories, Yoshi's Safari! 🤩. BTW I am very into retro games, so seeing stuff like this makes my day.
It sucks that they are not compatible with modern TVs. But I am excited that there are projects that have made modernized light guns that work with our TVs.

I only had one game with multiple mini games.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOC9CWzXms8

it wasnt my favorite games but my mom liked to play mole patrol on it. XD
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_b9JpuXUY

Top Bottom