ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Horizons Set to Land for All Commanders

I wish you been right, believe me...

We know they have things planned until 2022, so we're ok till then. It did take 2 and a half years to get Odyssey and they were still working on Fleet Carriers at the time. As long as the Game makes money, they'll want to keep working on it.

And if it is ever Sunset, fdev promised to enable the game to be run offline.

Dude, what do you talking about, what trend of the industry? I'm one of the original backers of the game, watching it what the time, year after year... I'm talking about what FD is doing with and to the game... FD have obviously lots of other priorities than the ED...

What he means is that many other games out there do it the very same way. To pick a rather random example, as i play it: Elder Scrolls Online. For example this year in spring it got the Greymoor expansion. At the same time, the Elsweyr expansion was removed from the store and became part of the base game. A year earlier, when Elsweyr got released, the previous expansion (Summerset) was removed from the shop and became part of the base game.

You see a pattern? Also note the advantages for either side: players who did not buy the expansion also get it, just one year later. The developers on the other hand have have an easier way of maintaining the game, they merely have to look at "base game with Greymoor" vs "base game without it" and not "base game with Summerset but not Elsweyr but with Greymoor again" and so on.

I picked this example because i actively play this game. I know of a number of other games who went the same or at least a similar way, but as i don't play them and thus don't know them well enough, i stick to this one example.

For ED the advantage is even more logical: how to sell people an expansion where they can walk on a planets surface, if they can't even reach the planet yet? Including it into the base game was a logical move, basically required to even market the next expansion. The only surprise here is the date, i would've expected this to happen at some time next year.

We know they have things planned until 2022, so we're ok till then. It did take 2 and a half years to get Odyssey and they were still working on Fleet Carriers at the time. As long as the Game makes money, they'll want to keep working on it.

And if it is ever Sunset, fdev promised to enable the game to be run offline.

The last part is the one i have my doubts at. The game relies way too much on the BGS, so i fear that converting it to be able to run offline actually is a good deal of work. And that's where my confidence ends: i don't believe that FD will still invest the time and money for a game which doesn't create revenue any more.

Last edited:
I bought Horizons for 25.91 PLN on Steam sale. It is about £5. And the equivalent of one kebab and two or three beers :) So I will gladly take a nice set of unique paint jobs :)
Can me and a few friends join you please, it sounds damn marvellous - prices in the UK are a right rip-off
A Pint of crappy larger is about £4 (I'm a bitter drinker, but just for an example), kebab £5 if you're lucky, so let's say about £20 for 3 beers and a kebab

I am now very jealous, and very hungry :)

Have a few beers tonight for us

Last edited:
Oh well, that is kind a sad actually... Because that means that the Odyssey is either the absolutely last update "season" and the game is consider dead/winiwshed

I think your assumptions are way off, did you think the same with horizons? or are you saying this because its now becoming free?? if so how does that mean anything other than FDev trying to make their development lives that bit easier?

or the next one will come after another like 2-3 years, maybe longer...

would you rather a paid expansion every 6 months - 1 year?

Last edited:
would you rather a paid expansion every 6 months - 1 year?

Yes, please! That way my LEP would finally pay off! :D

That being said, given the choice between more frequent updates and quality, i would choose the second. But i can understand anybody who voices doubts on FD being able to deliver quality. The game has a rough history on this side. Time will tell how Odyssey turns out, but my expectations are a bit limited.

Excellent news.
However, what about using the "Load Non-Horizons" to get out of glitchy SRV situations ? I hope there is another solution provided or Support will have a LOT of admin to do every day.
That's never been an easy option for console players, we just self destruct our SRVs.
Which when you are thousands of light years from the bubble and only have one SRV is inconvenient to say the least.
Fleet carriers improve this now with the deep space array, I would like to see the ability to 3D print SRVs like fighters though.

Last edited:
Can me and a few friends join you please, it sounds damn marvellous - prices in the UK are a right rip-off
A Pint of crappy larger is about £4 (I'm a bitter drinker, but just for an example), kebab £5 if you're lucky, so let's say about £20 for 3 beers and a kebab

I am now very jealous, and very hungry :)

Have a few beers tonight for us
I wonder if the PL kebabs have a less than 50% chance of mild food poisoning? I wept when I read that reply too 😭

Since paint jobs are so subjective, any chance you could let us Horizons owners choose any 1 paint job for free instead of / in addition to this Azure one? Not a big fan of the azure. Thank you for considering.

Top Bottom