What did you do in Planet Zoo today?

The small pros of not having enough jobs as a freelancer: More time for Planet Zoo. I started building my snow leopad habitat. My friend will come over soon, so I had to stop. Might play a bit tonight.

Only 5 species left to add to Unity, before I open the zoo and go into actual playing the zoo and detailing it a bit more. I can NOT wait. This will be the first zoo I actually play and not only build and move on.

Today I have been building a Thai style river delta area, so swampy and luxuriant, that sounds of frogs and Asian Birds echo throughout the lush landscape. I tend to use water in every thing I make.
The zoo-scape is in a hot and steamy river bayou area with Arctic architecture used to create Thai-style river dwellings and shanty houses. Nestled all along a botanically diverse river, the landscape is thick with reeds, grasses and tropically foliage. And my favorite orchids; cascade down trees, wooden structures and palms - would love more aquatic and marginal plants for the rivers though - but super excited with what we have in game already - Best plants and rocks ever . . .
msqueenskw97's swampy bald cypress trees are AWESOME - they are beautiful - thanks for posting them, :)
re.jpg
re2.jpg
re3.jpg
re5.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that is amazing. Really feels like a swamp even though we do not have a swamp biome.
Thanks - msqueenskw97's swampy bald cypress trees are AWESOME - they inspired me. And I love swamps, mosses and water plants - so it's easy to get inspiration from this game - worth it for all the landscaping options - just brilliant :)
Took some more screen grabs - I get so much inspiration from this game and the foliage and architecture options . . .
re7.jpg
re6.jpg
re4.jpg
re3.jpg
re2.jpg
re1.jpg

Thanks - msqueenskw97's swampy bald cypress trees are AWESOME - they inspired me. And I love swamps, mosses and water plants - so it's easy to get inspiration from this game - worth it for all the landscaping options - just brilliant :)
Took some more screen grabs - I get so much inspiration from this game and the foliage and architecture options . . .
View attachment 190869View attachment 190870View attachment 190871View attachment 190872View attachment 190873View attachment 190874

So atmospheric! I agree with @FoxyDee , you should make a thread for your zoo and show it to everybody.
By the way: If you hit G before making a screenshot the UI bar will disapear and will make looking the screenshots even better.

I am in awe, you should make a thread in the creation part of the forum to showcase your whole zoos. ;)
So atmospheric! I agree with @FoxyDee , you should make a thread for your zoo and show it to everybody.
By the way: If you hit G before making a screenshot the UI bar will disapear and will make looking the screenshots even better.
Really - I'm speechless - I just love landscaping - it's funny - the animals come second usually - but thank you. :)
I really just love tropical biomes - they are like where I live in Australia - the glorious semi tropics to tropics of Queensland and I studied landscaping and Horticulture in Melbourne (which is cold - that's why I moved away) - so I love to create and like I said - the plants and landscape tools in this game are incredible - I'd buy Planet Botanica if there was such a game - Frontier hit it out of the park with this landscaping gem.
I'll seriously think about doing a thread and really chuffed that you think I should. :)
I'm always in awe of all the other amazing creators in the forums and it's wonderful to see all the cooler climate creations in the forums too, for Australia could not be more different - at least where I live now - it's really hot here in Northern Australia. It's incredible to see all the amazing cultural differences in architecture, plant selection and design in these forums, I love checking the forums everyday to get inspiration. The Australia Pack is awesome too - for the colour of the soil where I live is just like that in game - Red. And we have Orchids, Epiphytes, Birds nest ferns, and bromidiads everywhere in the trees here - and Strangler Figs, palms, ferns I grow heaps of Aquatic and Marginal Aquatic plants and many of the plants in the game - so I get so inspired by them and they are so well designed by the DEV's.
But thanks and I'll work on it - really appreciate the nice comments and will get the thinking cap on, warm regards G :)

I finished up my polar bear habitat. I combined the tundra rocks with ice and snow rocks and blended them in together. Very happy with the results. I’ve also started making the water areas out of building pieces and that gives a much more desired effect also.

I finished up my polar bear habitat. I combined the tundra rocks with ice and snow rocks and blended them in together. Very happy with the results. I’ve also started making the water areas out of building pieces and that gives a much more desired effect also.

You mean you use plaster and such as the bottom for a pool and such?

I decided to dedicate the whole evening to my zoo and have just started to finish my Desert Dome, adding camels and antelopes. But I need some help!

In front of the dome, there is a habitat with aardvarks and warthogs, and a bridge crossing it. What I hadn't kept in mind? People will just CROWD there. So it is currently "closed" for visitors. Do you guys have any idea how to make some kind of fence which doesn't ruin the atmosphere, but blocks the view? I have experimented with all kinds of building pieces and it just looks stupid. I wanted it to look organic and maybe have one or two openings (to at least suggest that people could look into the habitat).

20201009193213_1.jpg

I build a himalayan bear habitat (again), and a very simple orang utan habitat. I'll be honest with you, I'm getting very unpaitent with building lately. I build on unity for almost six months now. I'll finish the two remaining habitats I planned and will then open the zoo. I need to do SOMETHING beside building. So detailing will happen when the zoo is open and I'll probably rebuild a few habitats on the go.

We'll see how the zoo will run with guests and if I can add more animals with future DLCs.

I decided to dedicate the whole evening to my zoo and have just started to finish my Desert Dome, adding camels and antelopes. But I need some help!

In front of the dome, there is a habitat with aardvarks and warthogs, and a bridge crossing it. What I hadn't kept in mind? People will just CROWD there. So it is currently "closed" for visitors. Do you guys have any idea how to make some kind of fence which doesn't ruin the atmosphere, but blocks the view? I have experimented with all kinds of building pieces and it just looks stupid. I wanted it to look organic and maybe have one or two openings (to at least suggest that people could look into the habitat).

View attachment 190915

Did you try logs?

Hi Lea_G - the logs look great. I love the natural Planet Zoo themed log - and the Australia themed logs as well - logs always look great - the aardvarks and warthogs will be very happy here :)

I build a timber wolf habitat and will now take a short break. Afterwards I will prepare Unity for opening (mainly making new work zones and hireing vendors), because I can not wait any longer, and will build the last habitat (Souther Cassowary) on the fly.

And then my "building only" zoo will finally enter the "building and managing stage 1", which means:
Guest will enter
Animals will age and give birth
Death will be turned on.
Conservation Credits will be limited.

I'll be still detailing the park in that stage. In stage II,money will be turned on.
In stage III weather. Workshops will be added, mechanics hired. Then we get to barrier degration, maybe.

Placed a not very good, ugly steam ride track in Unity, because the guests are complaining that they have to walk too much. animals are breeding like crazy.

I decided to take a day off work today. So up until now I re-did my traintrack, so it is a bit smoother, decorated one of many stations, did a looot of animal managment and am crazy enough to have written notes now what to do in planned breedings. Did detailing of scenery, added two new foodstalls, turned on money and endless money off, renamed animals and basically forgot to take a break. Which I will do now. And see if my shoulder allows more gaming later.

I stayed up well past my bedtime landscaping wetland enclosures for birds we don't even have in the game yet...

:D :D :D We would get along very well.

Top Bottom