Potential for more: primates

Hey everybody.
I wanted to discuss potential for other members of animal families we currently have in game.
I thought about what continents, biomes, themes we do not have for a certain animal family.
I want to hear what other_____ can be added that differ from our current_____ of continent/biomes combination that would be a great future addition
Today I want to discuss primates.
So we have all our great apes covered. We have a nice selection of monkeys and we have lemurs.
I really think India could use some love and give us Gibbons.
I am in favor of adding any slow Loris, unique monkeys of South America or elsewhere but I think that they should be included in a pack that covers “small habitat” or bigger exhibit” as they don’t need a large habitat.
I have heard suggestions of a North African baboon.
can anyone recommend any larger primates that would be great additions to our selection of primates?

I would love a:

• mantled guereza
  • baboon of any species
  • macaque lion tailed or crested black or better both
  • gibbon of any species
  • uakari
  • howler monkey of any species

SECOND CHOICES:
  • Red shanked douc
  • Golden snub-nosed monkey
  • Gray langur
  • Patas monkey
  • Sifaka
  • Spider monkey of any species

Last edited:
Gibbons are tricky, as it doesn't seem like Frontier is yet capable of refining their mobility (as seen with the orangutan, which behaves similarly to gorillas and chimpanzees rather than brachiating or hanging like they do in the wild). I'd love to see gibbons, too, but I think they'd need to change a few things and refine the climbing behaviour of all the primates to get it to work (particularly with regards to vines and ropes, which would probably have to become part of the enrichment set).

Personally, my top primate picks at the moment are;

- Geoffroy's/black-handed spider monkey. This one is very common in New Zealand zoos, and I have dealt with them personally, so they're very near and dear to me.
- Hamadryas baboon. Again, pretty common in southern hemisphere zoos nowadays, and an exemplary baboon.
- Diana monkey. Fell in love with them at Edinburgh Zoo.
- Proboscis monkey. Wonderfully weird, and I remember seeing them at Singapore Zoo.

Ah primates... I absolutely love monkeys and lemurs... and I'd so love to see the smaller ones, like tamarins and marmosets. I could probably list about a hundred or so... but I'll try to keep it short:

South America:
Bearded Emperor Tamarin (Saguinus imperator subgrisecens)
Common Squirrel Monkey (Saimiri sciureus)
Cotton-Top Tamarin (Saguinus oedipus)
Golden-Headed Lion Tamarin (Leontopithecus chrysomelas)
Red-Faced Spider Monkey (Ateles paniscus)

Africa:
Coquerel's Sifaka (Propithecus coquereli)
Diademed Sifaka (Propithecus diadema)
White-Headed Lemur (Eulemur albifrons)

Asia:
Golden Snub-Nosed Monkey (Rhinopithecus roxellana)
Proboscis Monkey (Nasalis larvatus)
Siamang (Symphalangus syndactylus)

Primates are something I would really love to see more of. I will try and restrict my wishlist to four species from each major area inhabited by primates:

Africa - Probably the most difficult choice, as there are so many types to pick from; while I have recently gained an appreciation for the grivet monkey (maybe not the most interesting looking species, but it is a savannah dweller being increasingly mixed with larger animals, including elephants, antelope, warthog and bat-eared foxes at one German zoo) I think my top choice would be the red capped mangabey
Asia
- While the red shanked douc would be an interesting inclusion, I think my favourite Asian primate would be the spectacled leaf monkey on account of their almost comical appearance and their prevalence in zoos (they are still kept in zoos in Europe, America, Asia and Australia)
Madagascar - While I would love to see black-and-white ruffed lemur or one of the Eulemur species (red-bellied, crowned or mongoose lemurs would all fit well), I think my preference would either be for the Coquerel's sifaka or the aye-aye
South and Central America
- Lots of scope for smaller primates such as tamarins, marmosets, squirrel monkeys, titi monkeys and dourocouli, but I think the red howler monkey would be my top choice, having been in a walkthrough enclosure with them in the Netherlands

but I think the red howler monkey would be my top choice, having been in a walkthrough enclosure with them in the Netherlands
Apenheul Apeldoorn?

I think my favourite Asian primate would be the spectacled leaf monkey
They look great and seen them quite often in zoos but most of them are in a small habitat (mix between habitat/exhibit) and i think some small primate species have the same smaller requirements. Love to see it, that way we can mix big and small habitats more. With the current species you tend to build too big.

Should Frontiers pull off with excellent new brachiating animations, I'd love to see gibbons plus a pre patch update for major revamp on primate locomotion.

As for other species, I'm into langurs and macaques :)

Very good points everyone
I’d really love gibbons and some of your suggestions sounds great
But I’d say if we are going to be given more primates, I’d say let’s wait till frontier can give us better climbing/arboreal animations and give the orangutans proper animations. Have it as a “arboreal dlc pack”

They're not a group I have a huge want list of additional animals, Gibbons of some species and the howler monkey would mainly be it. Baboons of some type would be alright but I'm not really actively wanting them, same for a spider-monkey. But mainly, if we get an Asia support DLC, I definitely hope that a Gibbon species would be in it.

I’d like to see gibbon,howler monkey,Hamadryas baboon, and maybe something unique like a Diana monkey. Not too many more but at least a gibbon and the baboon would be great.

I’d like to see gibbon,howler monkey,Hamadryas baboon, and maybe something unique like a Diana monkey. Not too many more but at least a gibbon and the baboon would be great.
That's pretty much what I want to see.

Most wanted in PZ!
Number 1 want!!! -> White Buff-Cheecked Gibbon
2ndSiamang
3rdHowler Monkey
4thSpider Monkey
5thHamadryas Baboon
6thSquirrel Monkey
7thTamarins
and etc.

Siamang, Lar Gibbon, Cotton-Top Tamarin, Emperor Tamarin, Golden Lion Tamarin, Silvery Gibbon, Francois Langur, Southern White-Cheeked Gibbon, Sumatran Orangutan, Central Chimpanzee, Bolivian Squirrel Monkey, Black-Handed Spider Monkey, Black and White Ruffed Lemur, Tufted Capuchin

I just saw this and freaked out! I thought Frontier released a small update with Gibbons at first to just realise that it's a mod that replaces the Bonobo. Sad day! I might use it just to get my itch for Gibbons though. I really do hope we eventually get Gibbons, because they are so fun and unique to watch and I absolutely love there singing.
Source: https://youtu.be/p-T4UqC74w4

Top Bottom