Nerf the FDL for pvp’s sake

Right now if you want to pvp there is only one choice of ship that’s remotely viable and that’s the Fer De Lance , if you disagree you can take your “pvp corvette” into a cg system and see how long you last in the ocean of FDLs. I counted 12 Fdls in one instance the other night, no other pvp ships in sight 😞

The FDL is way to op and needs more of a draw back, Here are some of my ideas:

-triple the price of the FDL,the increase in price could make dyeing in pvp less desirable due to a rebuy

- make the FDL slower but don’t touch the manoverablity

- buff the Mamba, why did you make this ship usesless fd?

-Remove a utility slot from the fdl

I know pvp/combat isn’t a “new feature” so fd is just going to ignore it , but I feel better posting this on the forums.

While, I disagree on some of the specifics of your assessment, I've been suggesting the FDL be restored to it's 1.4.x stats since they buffed it in 1.5.

For the record, they improved it's heat dissipation, increased the power plant size from five to six, added ~15% to it's pitch rate and ~10% to roll/yaw. Put it back the way it was and there would be a better mix of ships in PvP.

While, I disagree on some of the specifics of your assessment, I've been suggesting the FDL be restored to it's 1.4.x stats since they buffed it in 1.5.

For the record, they improved it's heat dissipation, increased the power plant size from five to six, added ~15% to it's pitch rate and ~10% to roll/yaw. Put it back the way it was and there would be a better mix of ships in PvP.
Well i never said I had good ideas, just suggestions 🤣

This. Apply the heat dissipation and power plant to the Mamba too, otherwise it is the new OP FdL.

The problem here is the game is Spin 2 Win.
The better your spin the more likely you will win.

Decrease the heat dissipation on FDL
and give it a higher chance to overheat the more thrust maneuvers it does.
More heat, slower ship,

Also make mines viable intead of this whole 5s startup time.
That way you can heat up the FDL, drop a mine and watch the mine home straight into the target right before it does a spin.

This. Apply the heat dissipation and power plant to the Mamba too, otherwise it is the new OP FdL.

I think the basic problem is that the community is always going to find the "meta", no matter what it is, and as a result everything eventually gravitates toward that because everything else is some shade of "doing it wrong." Nerf the FdL and the next best thing will become the new meta. Nerf that, and it'll be the 3rd best thing, etc.

This isn't specific to Elite, or the FdL, it's just how people in aggregate approach competitive situations. If the perceived objective is "to win", anything less than wringing out the system for the best possible numbers is "doing it wrong." It's an excellent way to find the most efficient solution, but rarely very good at finding the most fun one.

In short, the FdL is a symptom of a larger problem - one that at best, could only be mitigated (to varying degrees of success) by exceptional care in balancing. Whether or not that's possible or likely with the game we have is an exercise best left to the reader.

Well, it does have a weakness. Terrible jump range. Although, like all problems, you can just engineer it away, lol.

Anyway, I think the biggest problem is, other ships are too weak. The Mamba in particular. What loadout can you run on the Mamba, that is worse on the FDL? The Gunship and Challenger might also need buffs, as they are the main competitors to the FDL (the Chieftan and FAS compete more with each other).

For the sake of fun, I'd rather they buff several other ships to be a bit better in PvP.

For instance:
Mamba: Improve the heat dissipation a lot.
Python: Un-nerf the handling back to the way it was.
FAS: Buff so it can compete better again.
Clipper: Make it a medium ship with better shields, convergence and handling (ok, not a buff).

Last edited:
Well, it does have a weakness. Terrible jump range. Although, like all problems, you can just engineer it away, lol.

Anyway, I think the biggest problem is, other ships are too weak. The Mamba in particular. What loadout can you run on the Mamba, that is worse on the FDL? The Gunship and Challenger might also need buffs, as they are the main competitors to the FDL (the Chieftan and FAS compete more with each other).

Hmm, not wanting to dispute your logic, are you saying the right thing to do would be to buff all the other ships as they are too weak? Just seems like a lot of work to, you know changing one ship!!
Simon

Top Bottom