Warning-Warning This is not a test. Many New Horizon CMDRs Now Heading To Engineering Systems. All Gankers and Murderhobos to Deciat

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Apart from the fact that this breaks open, and is the dumbest thing a player can do to avoid getting ganked (hurr, durr, just go to solo if you care that much, don't completely mess up the already bad instancing mechanics for TRUE open players).

No, it doesn't break open. I don't care that much and I still want to play in open, however there are certain players that I deem not worth my time and effort. Simple as that. I fliter out people I don't want to play with.

It was recently adjusted so that blocks override friends, was my understanding

That's even better! Good move on FDEV side.

If you need an example of just how dumb this is, picture this... I'm flying in open, I enter deciat, I see lots of players, one interdicts me, I escape, I block that player. Now, that player is back in his instance in open, playing with, you know, other players who also want to play with other players, while you, who just blocked one person in the instance, are now going to be playing alone.

This is incorrect. After you block someone, you will be playing with the players that are in any other instance than the one with the blocked player.

So folks, if you want to avoid gankers, do the honorable thing and go to solo, don't abuse the block feature which is intended for people who are actually HARRASSING you, not just playing the game.

Folks, if you want to avoid people you don't feel like playing with, by all means use the block function. It's perfectly fine to use it if you feel you are being harassed. Also, I would strongly recommend don't letting other people tell you what harassment is or isn't. You have every right to play the game the way you want to play it, just like everyone else (y)

Honestly? I'm not expecting new players from the "horizons is free" wave. Everyone that just got horizons given to them has at least been playing for a while, so I'm expecting unengineered but somewhat competently-outfitted ships.

I might go see if there's some pirate pickings at the other engineers, though.
Broke: blowing people up in Deciat.
Woke: stealing people's landmines in Eurybia.

I'll just block all you people opposed to blocking, and then you'll have nothing to worry about, because you'll all be in an instance together free of blockers :p

iu

Ideally, there would be a "block comms from X" feature separately from "block player X".

But for now, the way it works (i.e. you have to block a player in order not to have to read insults/nonsense), should work as a deterrent against bad behaviors in system chat. At least one would hope that it does, assuming that folks really believe that blocking breaks instancing in weird ways. Quite a few folks at the CG have said that they block folks based on what they say on system chat. Just saying...

No, it doesn't break open. I don't care that much and I still want to play in open, however there are certain players that I deem not worth my time and effort. Simple as that. I fliter out people I don't want to play with.

Absolutely. If you dislike someone's in-game behavior and/or you do not appreciate being salt mined, the block button is right over there. This does not break Open and is a fair and effective defense against abusive behavior, both in comms and in game.

I don't block anyone but I perfectly understand those that choose to.

Last edited:
Folks, if you want to avoid people you don't feel like playing with, by all means use the block function. It's perfectly fine to use it if you feel you are being harassed. Also, I would strongly recommend don't letting other people tell you what harassment is or isn't. You have every right to play the game the way you want to play it, just like everyone else
That is fine...but it's a known fact it does change the instancing algorithm, which can cause instancing issues in some cases when you specifically want to be in an instance with other cmdrs you know.
In some low populated cmdr systems you would be instanced on your own instead of the other 7 cmdrs, only 1 of whom is on your block list.

If it works for you then that's great...but you have to acknowledge the knock on effects this can cause.

That's even better! Good move on FDEV side.

This is incorrect. After you block someone, you will be playing with the players that are in any other instance than the one with the blocked player.

Folks, if you want to avoid people you don't feel like playing with, by all means use the block function. It's perfectly fine to use it if you feel you are being harassed. Also, I would strongly recommend don't letting other people tell you what harassment is or isn't. You have every right to play the game the way you want to play it, just like everyone else (y)
This is simply a selfish perspective. All the examples I gave are 100% valid examples of consequences, we who pvp all the time understand very well what the consequences of random instance members having blocks is. It is extremely detrimental to a quality MMO environment where as many players as possible should be instanced with as many others as possible, god knows people complain enough that the player population is sparse. If people start putting popular gankers on their block lists, people who are at every CG, they are going to create at the very least, multiple watered down instances, and the net effect on pvpers who want to pvp will be chaotic. This is what we know from experience.

... and there, and there, and also over there! Frontier gives us multiple ways to very easily block players based on a variety of criteria, so I'm not buying any of this "Blocking destroys Elite" FUD, and neither should anyone else.
How can you say this, when it's a well documented and obviously logical fact? The examples I gave aren't good enough for you? You don't see how this fractures instancing? If you block someone who is in an instance with 10 other players, you have effectively blocked those 10 other players. And if you are in an instance with 10 other players and have me blocked, you have effectively blocked me from those 10 other players. It is an extraordinarily selfish solution to a problem that barely exists. Especially when the game provides the perfect solution that bothers nobody, just use solo (if chased away by gankers in open) to do your business, then go back to open.

Last edited:
Do you enjoy it if people block you for pulling them with the intend of piracy?
Only noobs "pull over" for piracy. I do all my piracy in normal space. But anyone who wants to block me, please, go ahead!

What bothers me is all the people I encounter in system chat who say, "I'm forced to play in Solo because of these gankers!" To them I preach the good news of blocking, and a few of them even welcome my invitation to be properly pirated rather than meaninglessly destroyed.

You gankers keep thinking you're the heroes of the story, just like all delusional villains. You are not. Spend a day in system chat in a system full of gankers and you'll see the truth (though I doubt you'll accept it).

A galaxy wide foraging for chemical manipulators ensues...

It’s going to be a hard few weeks for Lakon ships.

Only noobs "pull over" for piracy. I do all my piracy in normal space. But anyone who wants to block me, please, go ahead!

What bothers me is all the people I encounter in system chat who say, "I'm forced to play in Solo because of these gankers!" To them I preach the good news of blocking, and a few of them even welcome my invitation to be properly pirated rather than meaninglessly destroyed.

You gankers keep thinking you're the heroes of the story, just like all delusional villains. You are not. Spend a day in system chat in a system full of gankers and you'll see the truth (though I doubt you'll accept it).
I'm no ganker.

Even SPEAR will tell you how fleet hotspot protection operations can be totally disrupted by one person having the right other person on their blocklist in certain scenarios. It's the worst possible solution to a problem that doesn't need to exist.

ftr, I'm not a ganker either. I have destroyed the ships of innocent commanders for a cause, always with accompanying RP. I have also destroyed the ships of less innocent commanders too. 😇

I'm no ganker.
Of course you're not.

I guess I've been corrupted to the dark side.

I was doing some shady undercover business yesterday far from home, clearing two CZ's with CMDR Kari Kerenski.
After we've been finished, on the way to repair/rearm I noticed a clean CMDR with a KWS in supercruise.
KWS for me means he's a bounty hunter, which was diametrally opposed to our goals :LOL:

So for the first time in my entire Elite playtime, I pulled an enemy clean CMDR with the clear intend to kill him.

Thanks to my full FdL PA loadout (5 of them for training purposes), I wasn't able to kill the enemy CMDR before he low-waked.
After following him in the nearby nav-beacon, the inevitable happened, he combat logged :unsure:
He was in a Vulture and Inara stated him having 5.3 Billion in assets.
Why the hell did you log, CMDR???
Take the rebuy, or make me rebuy mine, but what? Wat? Seriously? 5.3 billion assets and you won't take a Vulture rebuy?

But I digress...

Do I have to feel bad now for trying to murder another CMDR in cold blood, to further my own goals?
I confess, it felt good. A new, intense rush of adrenaline, I can see now why so many people choose this path.

Oh, and I feel bad.
About my abysmal PA aim. If I had my multigimbal outfit, that Vulture would have exploded sigh

So how come all you "I'm not a ganker" heroes are here in this thread defending the gankers?

gankers are spoiled for choice for once, will it be:

Jamesons Cobra?
The Crystal Shards?
The Guardian Sites?
The Tharrgoid Sites?
Davs Hope for those still watching old YouTube videos - teach them a lesson for watching old vids?
Elvira's for the wise - teach them a lesson for thinking ahead?
or somewhere else entirely, where will those new ships pop up?

It is an extraordinarily selfish solution to a problem that barely exists. Especially when the game provides the perfect solution that bothers nobody, just use solo (if chased away by gankers in open) to do your business, then go back to open.
The only thing extraordinarily selfish is telling people, "You can't play with ANYBODY if you are not willing to be killed over and over again by a small collection of antisocial murder hobos. Go to Solo - you are not worthy to play this game with anyone, even the majority of mostly PvE players."

As for instancing, Frontier understands instancing better than anyone, and not only have they kept blocking as a feature, they actually buffed it in the last major update, so me using blocking is no less selfish or illegal that some 5 year player using a G5 FDL to blow up a 5 hour player just trying to engineer his new T6.

But if you think I'm ruining your game, report me to Frontier. 🤷

Top Bottom