Warning-Warning This is not a test. Many New Horizon CMDRs Now Heading To Engineering Systems. All Gankers and Murderhobos to Deciat

I should have read both pages, should have known we were onto blocking by now.

I'll just block all you people opposed to blocking, and then you'll have nothing to worry about, because you'll all be in an instance together free of blockers :p

Then theyll just have the Menu Loggers to complain about :)

Quite a few folks at the CG have said that they block folks based on what they say on system chat. Just saying...

I think Im more likely to block someone for chat than actions....or for no chat actions. If its a game why all the toxic chat?

Absolutely. If you dislike someone's in-game behavior and/or you do not appreciate being salt mined, the block button is right over there. This does not break Open and is a fair and effective defense against abusive behavior, both in comms and in game.
Tell me you are kidding, if not i join anti spear squad ASAP

The only thing extraordinarily selfish is telling people, "You can't play with ANYBODY if you are not willing to be killed over and over again by a small collection of antisocial murder hobos. Go to Solo - you are not worthy to play this game with anyone, even the majority of mostly PvE players."

As for instancing, Frontier understands instancing better than anyone, and not only have they kept blocking as a feature, they actually buffed it in the last major update, so me using blocking is no less selfish or illegal that some 5 year player using a G5 FDL to blow up a 5 hour player just trying to engineer his new T6.

But if you think I'm ruining your game, report me to Frontier. 🤷
I neither said nor intimated any of those things, they are all completely 100% generated byb your own insecurities.

Here, for the record is my position on blocking...

Use it if someone is harrassing you. Do not use it to prevent others from playing the game their way, there are a multitude of reasons why someone might shoot an innocent commander for a totally valid RP reason (blockading CGs, for example, or BGS activities). By blocking someone engaged in legitimate gameplay, it is you who limit the gameplay experience, not hte person who attacked you, and you need to understand that this will have consequences for you and the other player down the line (when you or they are in populated, desirable instances, you will be denying each other access).

Use this as a necessary tool. Not as a punishment for someone's choice of gameplay, on the other hand, consider using solo to do your engineer business, then, crucially, contrary to your suggestion, come back to open when you're done. I have done this myself and continue to do this when in paper ships, it does not reflect anythingabout the person except 'I want to engineer in peace today', and most critically, has no effect on instancing for the rest of the playerbase.

You can accuse me of being whatever you want, but anyone who can't see why this is bad for open gameplay byfractuuring instancing, can only be blinded by indignant rage at other peoples playstyles orsome agenda to water down already sparse open play.

FD just gave us back CGs, and it is glorious! Please don't support fracturing instancing. That's all. I'm not saying people shouldn't block, I'm not saying people shouldn't play with paperships in open, I'm just saying, pelase, think of the environment, think of the children, and think of the pvpers, before usin the block function to do something you can easily just pop into solo for.

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
That is fine...but it's a known fact it does change the instancing algorithm, which can cause instancing issues in some cases when you specifically want to be in an instance with other cmdrs you know.
In some low populated cmdr systems you would be instanced on your own instead of the other 7 cmdrs, only 1 of whom is on your block list.

If it works for you then that's great...but you have to acknowledge the knock on effects this can cause.

I've never had problems matchmaking with people I want to play with. As for the side effect of not being in an instanced with the people I don't want to play with, I accept that. It's what I want.

This is simply a selfish perspective.

That's simply an opinion.

It is extremely detrimental to a quality MMO environment where as many players as possible should be instanced with as many others as possible

Again, just an opinion.

If people start putting popular gankers on their block lists, people who are at every CG, they are going to create at the very least, multiple watered down instances, and the net effect on pvpers who want to pvp will be chaotic. This is what we know from experience.

I personally 100% prefer to be in an instance with 4 Commanders that do proper PVP or piracy over an instance with 4 Commanders that do proper PVP or piracy and 15 gankers or griefers. Works for me.

ftr, I'm not a ganker either. I have destroyed the ships of innocent commanders for a cause, always with accompanying RP. I have also destroyed the ships of less innocent commanders too. 😇

In that case you have nothing to worry about from my perspective, I only block people who don't follow Wheaton's Law.

Tell me you are kidding, if not i join anti spear squad ASAP

I am not kidding. Yes, I'm aware that it will prevent the blocked player from instancing with other people in the same instance as the player that blocked him.
Spear demands to all their members to not use the Block feature. My personal position, however, is that non-PvP pilots who are the target of salt-mining and ganking should seriously consider it as a safe and effective solution to their problem.

Blocking makes my job harder too; it effectively prevents me from instancing with some of our targets - it's detrimental to Spear's goals too. It is, however, perfectly within someone's right to do so, and I will not selfishly deprive them of this facility exclusively for my personal benefit.

giphy.gif

I've never had problems matchmaking with people I want to play with. As for the side effect of not being in an instanced with the people I don't want to play with, I accept that. It's what I want.

That's simply an opinion.

Again, just an opinion.

I personally 100% prefer to be in an instance with 4 Commanders that do proper PVP or piracy over an instance with 4 Commanders that do proper PVP or piracy and 15 gankers or griefers. Works for me.

In that case you have nothing to worry about from my perspective, I only block people who don't follow Wheaton's Law.
I'm not worried about me though, it's the effect you have on the wider game by being trigger happy with blocking, and I find it extremely depressing that you are encouraging people engineering for the first time, the new horizons owners referred int he thread title, to use the blocking system like it's nothing.

It's not nothing. It has consequences and should be a last resort. I'm running out of ways to say the same thing, so I'll just leave it there. Z0

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I'm not worried about me though, it's the effect you have on the wider game by being trigger happy with blocking, and I find it extremely depressing that you are encouraging people engineering for the first time, the new horizons owners referred int he thread title, to use the blocking system like it's nothing.

It's not nothing. It has consequences and should be a last resort. I'm running out of ways to say the same thing, so I'll just leave it there. Z0

I am far from being trigger happy. As I said, I only block people who I think are Richards in game. There aren't that many of them.

Last edited:
On more serious note, yes I also think there's connection between blocking and instancing.
I mean, instancing has big issues.
PS4 at least.
So I have 3 UK guys in squad. I'm in Croatia. All friends. So in wing, 2 guys i instance, 1 not. Not regional stuff, because then i wouldn't instance with UK players at all. This happens more than less.
With stuff like this i don't think blocking contributes to solution.
It's not cause probably, and it is ok as a player choice, but it doesn't work as intended.
I am not tech guy, but if opposite sides of pvp community here, in this thread, say that somehow it messes up open, I think that's something to consider...

Edit: I play 90% open, no problem switching to solo when doing personal maintenance. PvE, PvP, BGS I play in open.

Last edited:
I am far from being trigger happy. As I said, I only block people who I think are Richards in game. There aren't that many of them.
And like I said, I'm not talking about you either, but the fact you just encouraged a load of new players to be trigger happy with the feature.

FD are completely right to have solo and blocking work as it does currently. There are so many systems, from broken C&P to PvP equipment/engineering balance and learned behaviours and expectation of the playerbase that would, I think, seriously endanger this game if the boat was rocked in any way.

For that risk, ''would be nice if more people in instance'' seems like a hilariously small improvement from my perspective. Does anyone really think that people who happily go solo when they desire and block those who they don't want to see would care about something like this? PvP people will have to try a little harder to have any chance, I think.

An offline world snapshot of the world at game release, where you can fly around in your HMS Power Fantasy smacking NPC's and enjoy space stuff, and a harsh, deadly online world where agreeing to shape the narrative also means that you open yourself up to opposition from other players, but where risks, consequences and balance also means that potential gank victims don't feel so hopelessly outmatched, some regions of space are genuinely safe, and full ganking playstyle is not only unsustainable, but also completely pointless when there's plenty of good PvP to be had in the many points of conflict in the galaxy.

That's my fantasy, it is not realistic. The realistic option is to not rock the boat, pump out those revenue sources like ermagerd spacelegs. That's what FD does and it seems to work pretty well for them. I don't expect it to change...

Wow, that was fast from moderators, I just replied. But I like the fact someone is paying attention about it. That's a good thing, right?! Hopefully stuf gets from here to FDev. From my point of player, i don't care by what channels, as long as instancing problems get addressed and i can play with everyone who chooses to play in (ps4) open for whatever reason.
Blocking should not break squadrons wings apart IMO. If one guy in your squadron wing has blocked someone in an instance that you are already sharing (say supercruise), and that guy enters the system, he should instance with you and the blocked person. Now if you were not there, then the blocked person would be in a separate instance.

I'm not sure if this is how it actually works or not. Have you tried forming an actual wing when the three of you get together? AFAIK wings trump blocks in scenarios described above (but if a blocked character jumps into the system after your wing arrives, then they get sent to a different instance).

In other words, block tells the algorithm who I do not want to be instanced with, while wings (moreso than squadrons) tell instancing who I want to be instanced with, and AFAIK wing beats block in the rock-paper-scissors-wing-block game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom