The Oswald-Eugene Counter

Hello coaster friends! 

Over the weekend we've loved seeing a lot of you looking forward to Planet Coaster: Console Edition, as well as asking a few questions about how the Oswald-Eugene Counter works. Today we're going to share a bit more on what this helpful tool is and how it works to keep your console experience smooth and enjoyable.

The Oswald-Eugene Counter is a nifty contraption created by the brilliant minds of Oswald B. Thompson and Eugene Newton (you'll meet them in the Career Mode!). With help from this counter, you'll be able to let your creativity run wild while ensuring your park is kept in tip-top condition. 

When all you new or experienced park builders get creating, it’s important to us that you have a great time and don't encounter any issues! The Oswald-Eugene Counter is designed specifically to let you know how much you can build, so that your platform of choice can keep processing your park effortlessly. It is there to help guide you so that you, and your guests, can stay entertained in your bustling and busy parks. 

If you start reaching the top of the counter, that's the time to check around your park and see if you can find any non-essential items to remove so you can continue to enjoy a smooth experience. When the counter reaches 100%, this represents the top capability of your chosen console and you won't be able to place more buildings or rides. 

We have worked hard to enable you to create incredible places to visit and share, no matter what console you choose to play on. For example, check out this park running on Xbox One X or PlayStation 4 Pro. This magnificent park runs at about 60-70% of the Oswald-Eugene Counter and still has plenty of space so you can continue to build! 

Meanwhile, taking the same park you can expand it even further using the power of next-gen consoles such as Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5. This even more magnificent park runs at about 60-70% of the Oswald-Eugene Counter for next-gen.

The Oswald-Eugene Counter will also help guide you when sharing on the Frontier Workshop with others across generations! With the power of next-gen consoles, you can build and share even bigger parks.

However, if these parks cross a certain threshold then they will only be useable for others using next-gen hardware. For example, if you had your heart set on sharing your Xbox Series X built park with your friends playing on an Xbox One, using this tool you can make sure it’s possible by checking and adjusting your park accordingly.

It's important to remember that creations on the Frontier Workshop can be shared across generations, but not cross platform. This means that Xbox One players and Xbox Series X|S players can share with each other, or PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 players can share with each other. 

We want you to have as much fun as possible when playing Planet Coaster, whatever your console of choice may be. We're excited to see what you create and know that you'll have a fantastic time doing it. 

We can't wait for the launch tomorrow and hope these insights help answer your questions about the Oswald-Eugene Counter on console. Which console will you be playing on?
The least of the things when we announce that the game will be at 60% of its capacity on one and ps4 the old one of the release is that it will be available at 12:01 am on the 10th not at 1pm!

I contacted Playstation via phone just before they closed and anyone that disconnects their console to stop download can do so now and get a refund.. I did! Anyone that doesn't download it and play it can get their money back.
I will remain a PC player and will purchase it again when I get a PS5 and the game is much cheaper.. Cheaper because there is only so much you can do. I'm so happy I got the PC version on offer last week.
Just hope they don't add this cap to the PC version otherwise their won't be any players left. They''ve taken what the PC users have complained about and put that into the console edition... also this will minimise the crashes that Playstation would get constant reports for.

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
I contacted Playstation via phone just before they closed and anyone that disconnects their console to stop download can do so now and get a refund.. I did! Anyone that doesn't download it and play it can get their money back.
I will remain a PC player and will purchase it again when I get a PS5 and the game is much cheaper.. Cheaper because there is only so much you can do. I'm so happy I got the PC version on offer last week.
Just hope they don't add this cap to the PC version otherwise their won't be any players left. They''ve taken what the PC users have complained about and put that into the console edition... also this will minimise the crashes that Playstation would get constant reports for.
I highly doubt it's a feature that would be added to the PC version. There are way too many different specs to cater for for a start, and it would render a ton of existing content unplayable.

As I understand frustrations, why don't you just be patient and wait and see for yourselves when you can play it tomorrow. By tomorrow, you will know what you can build and how it affects the percentages.

In the end, on PC the game gets to a point where it's so difficult to play when the FPS gets too low, therefore parks need to be limited in some ways regardless due to your hardware.

I agree with everyone that this was a pretty bad move from them.

And since my physical copy arrives tomorrow for Series X, that means I've got actually f'd trice by them. First because physical doesn't have the dlcs which is already pretty ty & secondly because it's now in Game Pass.. Announced 1 day before release.... And third this late limitation.

Thank you.😓

Also, I don't know how honest they are with their percentages, cause this is a maxed out 97% park on PS4.

bEwOqhn.jpg

Looks shockingly close to their 60-70% picture....

Understandable reason for including such a feature, shockingly bad timing to announce it. Really should have been up front about this.

😯😳Whewwww, what a relief!!! I've owned the PC edition and all the DLC's for 3 years w/ no way to play it. I ALMOST pre-ordered the game and purchased a PS4 until I took a chance on this wonderful used PC/monitor for $275 saving myself hundreds of dollars, disappointment, and regret.

Thanks, to Frontier's poor optimization of the game it runs better (and cheaper) on my i5, instead of the more costly i7.

Nahhh man. Y'all us up big time! How you gone do that to us 1 freaking day before the official release? Y'all brains okay or something? No common sense. But like many others said, Frontier, you guys are money attention ppl. Utterly disgusting with what you guys do for your jobs. I aint holding back crap what you guys are doing. To be exposed on YouTube for having a cap then to announce today there is a cap is just down right disappointing. I don't know what's going on with y'all but, fix this you guys got going on in your HQ.. You lucky I still optimistic about this game.

Get this right, and we have no problems... And release other updates you have. Don't hold nothing back. Again, just down right disappointing... SMDH....

Last edited:
So after reading the news and going over and reading up. My conclusion is this, yes the consoles are 2013 consoles, but has no one seen RDR2, GTA V (a old game but a dang good one in terms of age), Horizon Zero Dawn. And the list goes on. The detail and performance of those games are top notch. I would of expected more from this game. I'm still keeping my preorder but im trying to shake off the restriction news, but the excitement isn't as high as it has been in the last year and a half. I hope they release updates to better enhance the game. I for one can't afford upgrading a console, not with a almost one year old and trying to buy a house. It's just not in my budget for the near future. I truly feel stabbed in the back. But, let's see what tomorrow and the future brings.

And since my physical copy arrives tomorrow for Series X, that means I've got actually f'd trice by them. First because physical doesn't have the dlcs which is already pretty poopooty & secondly because it's now in Game Pass.. Announced 1 day before release.... And third this late limitation.

Thank you.😓

Also, I don't know how honest they are with their percentages, cause this is a maxed out 97% park on PS4.

bEwOqhn.jpg

The image they posted was from the Xbox One X/PS4 Pro version of the game. The image is from the PS4 version. After thinking about it, it is not about the amount of RAM in the systems, it is more about the GPU/CPU. The standard Xbox One and PS4 have much weaker GPU's than the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. At first I was thinking it was due to memory amount, but the One X has 9gb of GDDR5 available for games and the PS4 PRO has 5.5...but they lump them together. The PS4 Pro has a 4.2 Teraflop GPU while the PS4 is 1.87TF. So it seems clear that these limits are really down to the GPU and CPU in the consoles.

It also explains using the images Frontier posted that the Series X and PS5 is vastly larger due to them having high end GPU and CPU's in them. However this does not excuse the poor timing of the information. This should have been posted when the Pre-orders started. I also believe that the Devs of this game knew this was going to over badly hence not a peep out of anyone from Frontier.

Is anyone from the Dev team going to come in here and address this? I know the decision/damage is done, but can you at least talk to us, your consumer, your potential future consumer? I am not expecting this to change, I get why the limit was put in especially for the base consoles (Xbox One/PS4). But there are a lot if unanswered questions that many of us are asking.

The frustration stems from poor timing (literally day before launch) and being elusive about it. When members here asked about how big of a park we can have and be answered that the size is the same as PC was very poorly handled. Yes, the physical size of the plot of land to build on may be the same as the PC...but the amount of stuff you can put on the land is what we were never told.

I will ask again, can a Dev or a representative please talk to us. Based on the replies this is the FASTEST moving thread about this version of the game since you announced the game...clearly there is an issue and I think talking to us and explaining why this was put into place, what things contribute more to the limit and what items don't have a major impact etc.

Last edited:
The image they posted was from the Xbox One X/PS4 Pro version of the game. The image is from the PS4 version. After thinking about it, it is not about the amount of RAM in the systems, it is more about the GPU/CPU. The standard Xbox One and PS4 have much weaker GPU's than the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. At first I was thinking it was due to memory amount, but the One X has 9gb of GDDR5 available for games and the PS4 PRO has 5.5...but they lump them together. The PS4 Pro has a 4.2 Teraflop GPU while the PS4 is 1.87TF. So it seems clear that these limits are really down to the GPU and CPU in the consoles.

It also explains using the images Frontier posted that the Series X and PS5 is vastly larger due to them having high end GPU and CPU's in them. However this does not excuse the poor timing of the information. This should have been posted when the Pre-orders started. I also believe that the Devs of this game knew this was going to over badly hence not a peep out of anyone from Frontier.

I was also thinking it was along the lines of a memory bottleneck, as if you look closely at Frontier's original image showing a full park, it has a lot of repeated objects in it (or pieces from a building set which all use the same textures), suggesting to me that the limit doesn't depend on how many objects are in your park, rather how many different ones 🙊

Saying that, 9 GB is a lot of memory and should surely be able to store more textures than the few trees and scenery themes they have used.

And since my physical copy arrives tomorrow for Series X, that means I've got actually f'd trice by them. First because physical doesn't have the dlcs which is already pretty poopooty & secondly because it's now in Game Pass.. Announced 1 day before release.... And third this late limitation.

Thank you.😓

bEwOqhn.jpg

Yeesh 😕

Well I feel vindicated after posting on reddit about my frustrations about Frontier's transparency/communication when I was seeing nothing but "We have nothing to announce" (no shade towards the community reps though)...and I was met with people calling me a Karen 🤣

At first i was a little bit disappointed about the oswald meter and yes it would be better if we didn't have it.
And yes they had to announce it but they didn't so allot of people are angry as i completely understand !!

But i just played a little bit and fired up some parks from the workshop and i'm really happy with it, i think allot of people are going to build some nice little parks with some good details. And with the Next Gen we can double the size of the park / details i think (getting the PS5 next week). And at 99% there are no FPS drops (didn't see it) and still runs flawless.

Here are some pictures with a percentage (I'm on an PS4 Pro)

This park is at 99% Source: https://imgur.com/a/LWj2pvn/

This park is at 82% Source: https://i.imgur.com/z3PCzwY.jpg

This park is at 60% Source: https://i.imgur.com/gLWQJTq.jpg

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
At first i was a little bit disappointed about the oswald meter and yes it would be better if we didn't have it.
And yes they had to announce it but they didn't so allot of people are angry as i completely understand !!

But i just played a little bit and fired up some parks from the workshop and i'm really happy with it, i think allot of people are going to build some nice little parks with some good details. And with the Next Gen we can double the size of the park / details i think (getting the PS5 next week). And at 99% there are no FPS drops (didn't see it) and still runs flawless.

Thank you for the pro example! I can't play until tonight but that looks better than I thought.

Has anyone uploaded any parks that have a lot of changes to the terrain? So far we've only seen the percentages represented on flat maps.

Top Bottom