Game Discussions Why doesn't Odyssey have Oceans and Clouds?

Because they worked on space legs, and added some visual improvements to planets and called it "atmospheric" to try to please the atmos people.

It's just some extra graphics for the same planets we have now (functionally - yes, I know there will be more planets to land on...)

Kinda sad - but the space legs part should be alright, and there's nothing wrong with graphics updates.

Why doesn't Odyssey have Oceans and Clouds?

(yet)

Why doesn't Elite Dangerous Odyssey have horrific lovecraftian noodle-men?

Why doesn't Elite Dangerous Odyssey have cartoon clouds and bouncing mushroom-men?

Why doesn't SC have a 1:1 recreation of our Galaxy with 400 billion systems?

Why doesn't NMS have a flight model?

Why do birds suddenly appear ...

If ED had NMS planets and base building..... wow!
I'm sure that Odyssey will improve over time. I prefer ED myself even in its current state, but then I am easily pleased.

Cobra engine can only handle primitive shapes...coding in liquid will cause everything...EVERYTHING to be rendered in orange....FACTS!

Sounds like something frontier would want to "get right", combined with them choosing to work on fps combat instead.

If it was an expansion with nothing but planets they could have spent 3 frontier years making planets. But sales etc.

seeing people salty about NMS never gets old tbqh, and neither does seeing people get salty that elite dangerous - a very different game - doesn't have features that'd require far more work to implement in its gritty, more realistic setting

seeing people salty about NMS never gets old tbqh, and neither does seeing people get salty that elite dangerous - a very different game - doesn't have features that'd require far more work to implement in its gritty, more realistic setting

Many people expect more planetary improvements for Odyssey. They could add oceans, because it isn't groundbreaking tech. Lots of games have it. Rivers, lakes and oceans make the worlds feel alive compared to barren terrains. We don't need underwater landscapes, because we can't dive. So it's purely superficial.

Not at launch

Yeah, but it's disappointing if we have to wait another 4 years.

Last edited:
How can it be difficult to develop when NMS and SC have it?

Adding more sky shaders? Probably not difficult at all.

Oceans.... probably not easy, but probably not rocket science either.

However, once you have those, then you have to develop the flight model for flying through different air densities and what are oceans without rivers, the changes to terrain atmosheres and oceans bring, weathering, and a whole boatload of other things?

Imagine if FD just added atmospheres and oceans without all the attending things they would require. I'm sure certain forum members would start threads complaining about how poorly they were implemented. How the flight model doesn't change when you are in a thick atmosphere, that sort of thing.

How long would it take FD to do what is required to add real atmospheres and oceans? No idea... let's guess at 1 year. So, that would be Odyssey delayed for a year. You want Odyssey delayed a year? Or better they get Odyssey out when they plan, and deal with atmospheres and oceans later?

Top Bottom