COMPLETED CG Protect the Alliance's expansion into the Coalsack Nebula from Thargoid attack (AX Combat)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So.... this is the shot from the wrecked "Canopy" of a Thargoid Interceptor.

Probably just the angle and disposition of random damage... but looks like a chair XD

GmlZOxs.png

I gotta ask all stupid: I havent done anything in the way of unlocking guardian tech, I have no engineered ship. Should I even think about coming out and fighting bugs?

For absolute AX basics I’d suggest starting with NHSS 3s, look for small groups of Scouts and bring at least a few Hull Reinforcements and some AX Multi Cannons.
Try a mix of turrets and fixed to start off so you’ve got some defense while you get familiar with the way scouts move and staying on target.
A Xeno Scanner also helps for targeting/identifying Scouts.
And I’d stay close to a Carrier or the CG Megaship in case you need to run away and repair.
Also BEWARE all Thargoid variants burst with a lovely cloud of acid so make sure you’re not too close when they die.
Their energy weapons can also phase through your shields so shields have limited effectiveness.
They also fire Caustic Missles occasionally which slowly melt your hull unless you cook it off, fly to a nearby Station/FC to remove it or bring Decontamination Limpets.

NHSS 4 is good for larger groups of Scouts once your looking for a bit more of a challenge.
The higher level NHSS 5 and above have Interceptors which are much bigger and stronger and need a fair amount of engineering to deal with, so I’d steer clear of them if your just getting started.

Found no megaships in distress, nor any NHSS (yet), but did find a barnacles site. Not long after collecting the first meta-alloy, someone came calling...
Source: https://vimeo.com/478796112

Next time I'll try to capture video rather than screenshots, it was quite a sight. I was really amazed to see the 'goid ship blow off a huge gout of flame as it jumped out, forming a blazng ring. I guess plain ol' smoke rings are passe.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
Found no megaships in distress, nor any NHSS (yet), but did find a barnacles site. Not long after collecting the first meta-alloy, someone came calling...
Source: https://vimeo.com/478796112

Next time I'll try to capture video rather than screenshots, it was quite a sight. I was really amazed to see the 'goid ship blow off a huge gout of flame as it jumped out, forming a blazng ring. I guess plain ol' smoke rings are passe.
looks like the blazing ring is due to gravity lensing from the nearby sun, when the ship jumps out. You really got a good angle it seems, nice pictures.

looks like the blazing ring is due to gravity lensing from the nearby sun, when the ship jumps out. You really got a good angle it seems, nice pictures.
I do believe you're right! I would never have thought of that. I've watched my carrier go into and out of jump a few times, never saw any distortion, but this was my first close encounter with a 'goid from a planet-bound perspective. Do you know which variety it was?

I gotta ask all stupid: I havent done anything in the way of unlocking guardian tech, I have no engineered ship. Should I even think about coming out and fighting bugs?
Well, if you want the double-engineered FSD reward, it looks like you'll need to be able to get roughly 25 million Cr of Thargoid combat bonds per day. Since at your current unlock levels, you can't take part in insta-gibbing Thargoids (which is arguably an exploit, but AFAIK Frontier hasn't punished anyone for it), you won't be able to stay in the top 25%, no matter how much time you spend playing.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom