About time to overhaul the Elite Launcher

So I have owned a Steam copy of the game for 1600 hours worth of play. I just like a lot of others have recently got a new free copy through the Epic store. I installed the Epic copy and then start it and play for a bit. Just now I tried to open the Steam copy from the desktop icon. It opens the Epic launcher. So I figured easy to get Steam to create a new desktop icon for Elite on the desktop, right click and choose "create desktop icon". Then I tried starting the Steam copy from the newly made Steam icon. Still opens the Epic copy of Elite. The only way to start the Steam copy now seems to be from the Steam UI.

I think it is about time for FDev to rethink the launcher. They need to make it account type agnostic and have a list of accounts that you own that you can choose which to play. Kinda like this:

1605995660092.png

There isn't a need to decide between Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous: Horizons anymore. Additionally the Steam and Epic Logo could only be visible when the appropriate account type is selected.

Just my $.02.

They could at least update it to display correctly when running in 4k resolution. The right half of the screen is blank for me.

PA6NLJE.jpg

Rename the desktop icon "Elite Dangerous (Epic)" for example, then tell steam to make a desktop icon. Works like a charm. Steam just reads that "Elite Dangerous" is already an icon and figures it doesn't need to do anything.

Yeah, I worked around it. But I still say the launcher needs an overhaul. I am thinking I am going to try a setup with a script for my Epic account that someone posted, but it would still be nice to get an official way to manage the accounts.

They could at least update it to display correctly when running in 4k resolution. The right half of the screen is blank for me.

PA6NLJE.jpg

Top Bottom