Fleet carrier cost now too high, or are we expecting a general source of income to be pre-nerf painite level?

I came back to the game in september, with an eye on a corvette. Did the rank grind, then switched to painite mining. At 1.9Bn, I bought the vette. Having about a billion or so left over is ok, but post painite nerf the income is about 1/3 of what it was. Fleet carriers were introduced to give the billionaires in the game something to do, but has the ladder now been raised up on them a bit? I would like to see the FC base cost move to about 2-3 billion, or do we expect a new goldrush somewhere else, with condas in a conflict zone blowing up for a million or two after a combat buff?

I'm not really all that interested in a FC, but one day I might. If the credits per hour don't flow at the same rate as before, isn't that pushing the playerbase into a slower grind? I mean, I know it's FD's thing, but is that the intention or are you expecting a balanced solution?
- i'm playing over 5 years now. my main account has not the assets to finance a FC. with a crazy amount of hours ingame.

- mining provided a shortcut for my bubble commander to go from 200 mio to 6,7 mrd credits to get a FC over a few months. it's nice that this is possible.

- the problem being, that with that income rate (not only by mining), you can't be poor in the game, and credits have no value. i tested that with a fresh account after FC update. i didn't go mining, i took no missions, i made salvage and surveyed rings and unlocked engineers. before you have the materials to max-engineer your ships, you own a sidey, cobra, t6 and DBS. progressiongame over.

- my estimate is current balancing makes brings laser mining down to 100-125 mio cr/h. once the pulsewave scanner is fixed, core mining will be a bit above that.

- that means, a FC is now 50 hours of mining. that also means, you can still outfit a mining python and refinance it in one run.

- while 50 hours for a FC might look excessive for some, surely a single run shouldn't refinance a mining ship.

- so, yes, a FC should be much less costly in my opinion. a most expensive outfitted cutter is supposed to be 1 mrd. credits. an FC should be 1,5 or 2 Mrd. make the FC not so much more expensive than a ship.

- along with that i'd like to reduce income to something like 10 mio cr. per hour max. that would get a FC to something like 200 hours play for credits, while making ships again worth something.

- i also know most people would hate that :D. i'm also not quitting if that won#t be the case. i can enjoy the game for what it is - currently a game where credits have no value, and more so after you have your FC.

Fleet Carriers are an "endgame" asset, not something you buy on a whim after using an exploit for a few days.
Very much this, they were originally meant to be for player-groups to collectively purchase, but the FD capitulated to the carebears crying about them "I'm a solo player why can't I get a carrier".

This decision resulted in a helluva mess in the system map as now every tom rick and harry can go get one...
First, Frontier should turn FCs from stations into POIs. So many smaller and bigger problems stem from this decision. Just my 2c.
So between previously sanctioned absurd credit streams and individual ownership carriers ended up being far to ubiquitous and far too high profile, they effectively broke the game.

Orange sidewinders galore at prominent systems? #toomanycarriers Can't find a station on the galaxy map as there are 94 carriers cluttering the system map? #toomanycarriers

So no don't cut the price of a carrier just because it now takes fifty hours instead of fifteen hours to grind for it. The game is awash with now meaningless credits, don't deprive the game of the last place to sink big bux into.

I came back to the game in september, with an eye on a corvette. Did the rank grind, then switched to painite mining. At 1.9Bn, I bought the vette. Having about a billion or so left over is ok, but post painite nerf the income is about 1/3 of what it was. Fleet carriers were introduced to give the billionaires in the game something to do, but has the ladder now been raised up on them a bit? I would like to see the FC base cost move to about 2-3 billion, or do we expect a new goldrush somewhere else, with condas in a conflict zone blowing up for a million or two after a combat buff?

I'm not really all that interested in a FC, but one day I might. If the credits per hour don't flow at the same rate as before, isn't that pushing the playerbase into a slower grind? I mean, I know it's FD's thing, but is that the intention or are you expecting a balanced solution?

Just fast forwarding VHS...

Check Youtube for "Robigo Mines - Sothis passenger runs in a passenger Python.", about 20-25 mil per active 10 mins while watching tv or reading forum at laptop.

Especially, if you are in it just for the money and new ships, instead of gradual progress you were meant to play for...
Go for it. But may I warn you, you might miss a lot from the game that way.

Or, make free Epic Games (or discounted Steam-account), or many of those each for different Windows 10 "user
accounts" (you still need to download game just once per computer, as long as you get each account a new version of Elite from Epic Store).

You will have an account for each (Role Play) role in ED you can think of. And if any of those need credits, just use carrier trade.

Very much this, they were originally meant to be for player-groups to collectively purchase, but the FD capitulated to the carebears crying about them "I'm a solo player why can't I get a carrier".

This decision resulted in a helluva mess in the system map as now every tom rick and harry can go get one...

I figured this were the case. See, I have never really delved into the FC side of Elite.. because I don't want one. I know how they work, i know that they are capable of good haulage, capable of jumping 500ly etc etc

But i always thought to myself.. "these FC's should be bought by groups, and maintained by groups. Why isn't this the case?!"

Good to know.

- i'm playing over 5 years now. my main account has not the assets to finance a FC. with a crazy amount of hours ingame.

Ok, you seem to also need Robigo Mines-Sothis passenger runs in a Python.

Made 10 billions in it, just in a 1-2 months of casual passenger gameplay (say, over 500 million each weekend day I had time to keep game running on the background, even when not that active).

People were able to afford FC after a week (or something like that) of grinding. Billion became almost pocket change.
I think FCs are and should remain end-game asset - requring you to spend considerable amount of time playing the game before being able to afford them.

People were able to afford FC after a week (or something like that) of grinding. Billion became almost pocket change.
I think FCs are and should remain end-game asset - requring you to spend considerable amount of time playing the game before being able to afford them.

Yeah... that would be really fair, considering me, my alts, and my dog, got a carrier and upkeep/fuel for 5 years in it, in just few weeks...

Or having them "locked" behind something. Triple Elite? hours spent on the game? that kind of thing. You know.. so they are actual endgame.

I spent about 11 billion on 2 Carriers, but I only mined about 2 billion of that. The rest was a combination of exploration, passenger missions, and trade.
Just curious, but any hour estimates? At least with my experience of non-canned exploration, 9bn must be several hundred hours, perhaps close to 1000.

You mine a bunch of painite, and instead of hauling it 150LY for a price of 900k you could sell it to a local FC for 650k. You lose income but you gain time and there's less chance of interdiction, so overall you make a profit / hour that's acceptable, and the FC also makes an acceptable profit. Everyone wins, and it feels like you're interacting with others more.

What? Painite sells at 200k-300k currently (as reported by Inara)
Forget about 600-900k

Fleet Carriers are an "endgame" asset, not something you buy on a whim after using an exploit for a few days.
That isn't even a remotely accurate description of what is happening. FC owners are now going to have to tighten their belts and as such it's the NON-FC players that are going to feel the pinch. As another poster said, FC owners were able to provide services and goods, even if it was a small loss because they knew they could finance it with Painite mining, now they are going to have to pull back that generosity and regular players are going to suffer as a result.

Fdev needs to buff the other professions, not nerf the one profession that actually works fine. This obsession over an exploit that has already been fixed is ridiculous.

Forget about 600-900k

Why are people still talking about mining, when you can make 100+ mil in AN HOUR pretty much just afk, running passenger missions between Robigo Mines and Sothis (in a passenger fitted 3A shield Python)...

Just curious, but any hour estimates? At least with my experience of non-canned exploration, 9bn must be several hundred hours, perhaps close to 1000.

i got 260 millions in exploration data in a 3 days trip in which i fss-ed 600 systems and used dss on about 20 planets or so (1 ELW and rest were ww or teraformables that were in easy reach). There were about 200 new neutrons involved as new discoveries and the vast majority of those 600 systems were also new discoveries
that happened in Spring i think.

Those were kinda full days, but one of those day was spent in full in colonia unlocking engineers.

i really don't 😌
there is a bunch of other things to do in game, where you don't need any CR at all. and my main account has no usecase for a FC, so i wouldn#t know what to do with that CR.

Yeah my message were not aimed for people like you, just for those who can´t wait to play the game to progress.

Or need credits for their new free Epic Games accounts...

Forget about 600-900k
That's probably because the owners haven't adjusted their prices just yet, in fact, I sense a lot of FC owners are about to get taken to the cleaners this week. I removed all buy orders for everything Sunday evening on my carrier in preparation for the drop.

Why are people still talking about mining, when you can make 100+ mil in AN HOUR pretty much just afk, running passenger missions between Robigo Mines and Sothis (in a passenger fitted 3A shield Python)...

or by taking delivery missions for 180t of gold or other more or less precious metals for 30-40 millions a pop... Takes less than 10 minutes to do a mission like that.
Easily 6-8 missions per hour can be done.

so yea, no idea why people keep talking about mining...
Post carriers release i stopped mining entirely, but i still got billions buying cheap and selling expensive using the carrier.

- mining provided a shortcut for my bubble commander to go from 200 mio to 6,7 mrd credits to get a FC over a few months. it's nice that this is possible.

- the problem being, that with that income rate (not only by mining), you can't be poor in the game, and credits have no value. i tested that with a fresh account after FC update. i didn't go mining, i took no missions, i made salvage and surveyed rings and unlocked engineers. before you have the materials to max-engineer your ships, you own a sidey, cobra, t6 and DBS. progressiongame over.

- my estimate is current balancing makes brings laser mining down to 100-125 mio cr/h. once the pulsewave scanner is fixed, core mining will be a bit above that.

- that means, a FC is now 50 hours of mining. that also means, you can still outfit a mining python and refinance it in one run.

- while 50 hours for a FC might look excessive for some, surely a single run shouldn't refinance a mining ship.

- so, yes, a FC should be much less costly in my opinion. a most expensive outfitted cutter is supposed to be 1 mrd. credits. an FC should be 1,5 or 2 Mrd. make the FC not so much more expensive than a ship.

- along with that i'd like to reduce income to something like 10 mio cr. per hour max. that would get a FC to something like 200 hours play for credits, while making ships again worth something.

- i also know most people would hate that :D. i'm also not quitting if that won#t be the case. i can enjoy the game for what it is - currently a game where credits have no value, and more so after you have your FC.
Did a test last night, and the current balance pass brings it down to 45-50 mCr/Hr, last week it was 100-124 mCr/Hr. The painite nerf has brought prices down BY 2/3rds (60%) not TO 2/3rds (30%). So basically you just need to double all your times and half your numbers in your post.

What's funny is that what you think this balance pass did, already existed before this, and the balance pass has actually borked mining and made the market crash. Even if Fdev was to put the numbers back up TODAY, it would take several weeks for the market to stabilize and correct. This is what happens when these people decide to screw with a market that is now partially player run.

Last edited:
Top Bottom